Meat Quality in Cagney's (breakaway)

mcsb11

I recently got off the Breakaway and dined at Cagney's multiple times as it was the best dining option on the ship. While I liked my steaks & burger there, a pretty big red flag that jumped out at me on the menu. And I'm shocked NCL put out there.

The paragraph below about Certified Angus Beef is downright comical. According to the menu... "uncompromising standards ensure it's a cut above USDA Prime, Choice & Select..." I'm not sure if the executive chef of NCL has seen this, as no sous chef - let alone an executive chef - would ever declare CAB beef a "cut above prime."

Either the chef is unaware or NCL is full of it. Regardless, I ate 3 different steaks last week & not one had the taste or texture of a prime. While the steak was good, it was nowhere near what a prime ribeye or filet would taste & feel like.

I hope the general public isnt mislead into upcharging here thinking they're getting a superior cut of meat...

DSC06887.jpg

I agree completely and think this verges on false advertising. Since NCL only mentions the brand of beef (CAB), and not the grade, I think it's safe to assume that they're using Choice. Essentially that means they are saying that their Choice beef is "a cut above" USDA Prime which is simply untrue.

I agree completely and think this verges on false advertising. Since NCL only mentions the brand of beef (CAB), and not the grade, I think it's safe to assume that they're using Choice. Essentially that means they are saying that their Choice beef is "a cut above" USDA Prime which is simply untrue.

It certainly seems like false advertising. The same with the burger & sliders. If the burger was indeed Wagyu, usually in any good steakhouse its prefaced by USDA, so it's obvious that its graded, not just named Wagyu.

Its a shame to me, because I really enjoyed the burger. It was super tasty & moist. I also enjoyed my steaks. Had I not done the UDP, I would have been really angry if I ordered those steaks thinking they were a cut above prime

This topic comes up every now and then around here and usually generates a little conversation. I think most of the "hype" comes from the marketing of Angus beef. The info produced on this web site sheds some light on the USDA Certified Angus Beef description:

"Angus of Quality: The vast majority of Angus beef produced in the United States comes under the umbrella of the American Angus Association. This organization, in an attempt to increase awareness of Angus beef and to help command a higher price for their members, created the Certified Angus Beef brand in 1978. It is largely due to their efforts that the term Angus has come to command the power that it does today. Using genetics, ultrasound technology, and the classic breeding registries the people of Certified Angus Beef have worked to improve the breed that will produce the beef that will bear their logo (not necessarily all the Angus beef in the country).

Certified Angus Beef is graded by the USDA and must be in the top two grades (Prime and Choice) plus it must pass eight additional criteria to be labeled Certified Angus Beef. These criteria, revised a few years ago, are designed to determine quality, but also to insure that the cattle they use are Angus by more than just a 51% black definition. The shopper's tip here is that choice grade Certified Angus Beef is generally of a better quality than an average cuts of choice beef."

Whether calling it better than prime is valid or not depends on if it's Certified Angus Beef that is graded as Prime or not.

Whether calling it better than prime is valid or not depends on if it's Certified Angus Beef that is graded as Prime or not.

Since they are not calling it CAB Prime, it is almost certainly not Prime. CAB Prime actually has it's own logo, which is different from the standard one shown on the Cagney's menu.

1fh1ud.gif

I have always suspected it's Choice, and not Prime. I don't see the steak in Cagney's any better than a steak in some place like Outback or other mid-priced restaurant. When Cagney's crossed the $25 per person barrier it officially became overpriced in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, it's good and I enjoy it. But it's not on a par even with something like Ruth's Chris' steakhouse. And I've had much better than RC (but, you also pay for it!)

Ive done the steakhouse on Princess, NCL and Carnival and my favorite was Carnival. They know how to do a steakhouse! Going to try Cagneys again in Oct..and hoping we enjoy it more than the first time!

They should be mindful of what they're putting onto the menus that they create.

To me it's misleading to the average joe who may have had a usda prime ribeye or filet from a high end steakhouse and will now dine here thinking they are going to get a comparable steak.

If I was that person I wouldn't be happy. And my hope by posting this is that I will raise awareness of this issue on Cagneys menu and set expectations for those thinking they're getting a steak of memorable quality.

I have eaten in Cagney's for breakfast lunch and dinner over 20 times. I'm not sure the ship really uses the USDA rating since the ships are not registered in the U.S.A. I can say it's definitely not prime it's at best choice quality. I can say from experience if you want a really good steak go to Le Bistro and order the ribeye for two! I do enjoy Cagney's but I don't think it's the best value compared to the others specialty restaurants.

I have eaten in Cagney's for breakfast lunch and dinner over 20 times. I'm not sure the ship really uses the USDA rating since the ships are not registered in the U.S.A. I can say it's definitely not prime it's at best choice quality. I can say from experience if you want a really good steak go to Le Bistro and order the ribeye for two! I do enjoy Cagney's but I don't think it's the best value compared to the others specialty restaurants.

I go to Cagneys for the ribs LOL Thanks for the Le Bistro suggestion. If I can get my husband away from his rack of lamb, we'll try it!

excellent comment and to those who don't know this: choice actually quite often has better flavor, prime is just more tender...this is from someone who majored in foods and nutrition in college. Guys, don't let labeling ruin a good meal; enjoy and let it go at that.

excellent comment and to those who don't know this: choice actually quite often has better flavor, prime is just more tender...this is from someone who majored in foods and nutrition in college. Guys, don't let labeling ruin a good meal; enjoy and let it go at that.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Fat = flavor and Prime is graded as such due to its superior marbling.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Fat = flavor and Prime is graded as such due to its superior marbling.

You continue to make some of most absurd comments. Did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Please show me the marbling in a Prime New York Strip! Or how about the marbling in a Prime Filet or Tenderloin?

Edited by Beaver1975

Press Releases

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE NOW OFFERS CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF® BRAND STEAKS AT SEA

The flavorful top-quality cuts are only available at sea on Norwegian, in Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants

Miami - Jun 12, 2013 ---

Norwegian Cruise Line announced today it is now the only cruise line to serve Certified Angus Beef® brand steaks, the world's leading Angus brand and consumers' top choice for premium beef. Certified Angus Beef ® brand steaks are rated above USDA Prime, Choice and Select, and are known for their superior flavor, juiciness and tenderness. These steaks are currently available in Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro French restaurant on ten Norwegian ships, including the new Norwegian Breakaway. Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Spirit will begin serving these steaks by August.

"With the addition of Certified Angus Beef ® in our steakhouse and French restaurant, we've taken an already great meal and made it outstanding," said Kevin Sheehan, CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line. "There is no better steak available and, as a New Yorker who knows a good steak, it was an obvious choice to bring these high quality selections to Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro."

Previously available only at shore-side steakhouses and leading retailers, these exceptional cuts feature 10 quality specifications, including marbling, maturity and consistency, and are aged 28 days for the finest flavor and tenderness.

Guests can choose from a wide variety of premium cuts, ranging from a 14-ounce dry-aged center-cut strip loin to an 18-ounce bone-in ribeye. Additional offerings include an eight-ounce center-cut filet and a 16-ounce boneless ribeye. Guests can also customize their Certified Angus Beef ® steak with an array of seasonings and signature sauces including garlic butter, gorgonzola-crusted, chimichurri, green peppercorn and more. Cagney's Steakhouse serves all of the selected cuts, while Le Bistro offers the eight-ounce center-cut filet.

"Norwegian Cruise Line is at the forefront of cuisine at sea, and the ranchers and farmers behind the Certified Angus Beef® brand are pleased to be a part of this culinary evolution," says John Stika, the beef brand's president. "Guests will appreciate knowing their steak experience matches some of the finest steakhouses in New York and beyond."

The steaks were first introduced on Norwegian Breakaway, the company's newest and most innovative ship to date. Home porting year-round in New York City, Norwegian Breakaway offers guests 29 dining options, 22 bars and lounges, a quarter-mile long outdoor boardwalk called The Waterfront, three Broadway shows, the largest Aqua Park at sea and much more. Norwegian Breakaway sails weekly cruises to Bermuda throughout the summer and seven-day cruises to the Bahamas & Florida in the winter.

To book a cruise on board any of Norwegian Cruise Line's ships, contact a travel professional, call Norwegian at 888-NCL-CRUISE (625-2784) or visit http://www.ncl.com.

About Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 46-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility. Today, Norwegian invites guests to "Cruise Like a Norwegian" on one of 12 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named "Europe's Leading Cruise Line" by the World Travel Awards for the fifth consecutive year.

The Company took delivery of its most innovative ship to date, the 4,000-passenger Norwegian Breakaway on April 25, 2013. Known as New York's ship, Norwegian Breakaway is the largest vessel to homeport year-round in the city, sailing to Bermuda for the summer beginning May 12, 2013. Norwegian Breakaway's features include hull art by legendary artist Peter Max, seafood restaurant Ocean Blue by famed New York Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian, bakery by Buddy Valastro, star of the TLC series "Cake Boss," and fitness classes and a retrospective display from the ship's iconic godmothers, the Rockettes®. The entertainment lineup includes three Broadway shows: Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor and Cirque Dreams? & Dinner: Jungle Fantasy. Sister ship Norwegian Getaway, currently under construction at Meyer Werft will be the largest ship to homeport year-round in Miami and will sail Eastern Caribbean voyages beginning in February 2014. The Company also has one larger "Breakaway Plus" vessel on order for delivery in the fall of 2015, with the option for a second ship.

The Company's largest ship, the 4,100 passenger Norwegian Epic has been named "Best Overall Cruise Ship" by the readers of Travel Weekly two years in a row and "Best Ship for Sea Days" by Cruise Critic.

Norwegian Cruise Line is the official cruise line of Blue Man Group and Legends in Concert, the official cruise line partner of The GRAMMY Awards and is an official partner of the Rockettes and Radio City Music Hall.

High resolution, downloadable images are available at http://www.ncl.com/pressroom. For further information on Norwegian Cruise Line, visit http://www.ncl.com, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @Norwegiancruiseline, Pin us on Pinterest, watch us on YouTube, or contact us in the U.S. and Canada at 888-NCL-CRUISE (625-2784).

About the Certified Angus Beef ® brand

Founded in 1978 by Angus producers, the Certified Angus Beef ® brand is the only beef brand owned by the American Angus Association® and its nearly 30,000 rancher members. It is the best Angus beef available and a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select. Ten standards ensure its premium quality and incredible flavor, tenderness and juiciness in every bite. Known for exceptional quality and generous marbling, it is proudly featured by the finest restaurants and retailers around the world. For more information, visit http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com, Facebook, Twitter and the http://www.GoRare.com blog.

Sent from my iPhone 5s

You continue to make some of most absurd comments. Did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Please show me the marbling in a Prime New York Strip! Or how about the marbling in a Prime Filet or Tenderloin?

Marbling certainly is one of the key items that distinguishes USDA Prime from USDA Choice. I grew up in the meats and provisions business as my father owned a wholesale distributing company, but don't take my word for it, take the USDA's word:

http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/01/28/what%E2%80%99s-your-beef-%E2%80%93-prime-choice-or-select/

"Prime beef is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling (the amount of fat interspersed with lean meat), and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking such as broiling, roasting or grilling.

Choice beef is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime."

Edited by njhorseman

Nice attitude. Despite you clearly having no idea what you're talking about, I'll play along.

Prime NY Strip:

newyorkstrip.jpg

Prime Filet Mignon:

complete_trim.jpg

Your point (if you have one) would be much better made by stating a counterargument rather than baseless insults.

Edited by Scott2.0

Marbling certainly is one of the key items that distinguishes USDA Prime from USDA Choice. I grew up in the meats and provisions business as my father owned a wholesale distributing company, but don't take my word for it, take the USDA's word:

http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/01/28/what%E2%80%99s-your-beef-%E2%80%93-prime-choice-or-select/

"Prime beef is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling (the amount of fat interspersed with lean meat), and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking such as broiling, roasting or grilling.

Choice beef is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime."

Thank you. Beaver is clearly trolling on a topic he/she is unfamiliar with. Not sure why, but it's evident.

Thank you. Beaver is clearly trolling on a topic he/she is unfamiliar with. Not sure why, but it's evident.

Thank you for you judgemental dismiss. Clearly you are the only one here knowledgable about meat quality and grading. Carry on, I bow to your superior expertise.

Gotta love the anonymity of the internet.

P.S. Scott, do you need some cheese with your whine? I do know a bit about cheese!

...then show me the marbling in a Prime New York Strip steak!

As you said, ONE of the factors, not the only!

See above. What exactly is your point? You seem to believe that a NY Strip doesn't have marbling. Maybe if you buy Select from Wal-Mart, but a good NY Strip will be plenty marbled.

Thank you for you judgemental dismiss. Clearly you are the only one here knowledgable about meat quality and grading. Carry on, I bow to your superior expertise.

Gotta love the anonymity of the internet.

P.S. Scott, do you need some cheese with your whine? I do know a bit about cheese!

You asked if I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night in some contrived half-insult. Why?

Since you continue to respond, yet haven't made a singe on-topic post, how can anyone think you're doing anything but trolling? What is your point about this thread topic????

Well this thread has gotten.... Fun.

I'm sorry beaver, but I'm 110% with scott on this one. Fat (read: marbling) means flavor. Say whatever you may want to say about the anonymity of the web, but as someone very well versed it I can attest to this simple trait of meat grading.

Yes I've had prime strips and they're lovely! Are you meaning to say a sirloin, which is one of the leanest cuts you can get?

Either way, newmexico raises a decent point in not getting too caught up in labels, because sometimes prime isn't great. That's a rarity though.

Regardless, the initial point of this thread is that it's sheisty that NCL puts such a farce of a statement on their menu.

When I was at Cagney's (twice) I thought the steaks were okay but not outstanding. I don't really care what they call them as long as they are of good-to-excellent quality. What I received was equivalent to Outback. I'm not a meat expert by any means, but I'm a fairly good consumer...and I know what's good and what's not. This isn't to say I won't return to Cagney's - I thought the sliders were excellent and a few other items. But, the emphasis on the menu and in person on how exceptional the steaks are (the hostess and the waitress went on and on regarding how great the quality of the meat was...perhaps true when compared to the buffet but not when compared to a true steakhouse).

The speciality restaurants, specifically Cagney's and Le Bistro, really shine in regards to the ambience...not the food quality.

I'm on a cruise next year with NCL and have decided to buy the UDP again since it's just over $16 per day person and at that cost I'm perfectly comfortable with the quality of the food and my expectations are set appropriately. I admit that I was quite disappointed with the quality during my earlier cruise because I believed the reports that the food was excellent, and thought that NCL would provide a very good product similar to a steakhouse chain...but I was wrong. So, in my opinion it's worth $16 but not much more, especially considering that there is some $ allocation for the same dinner in my cruise fare.