Bringing wine on board from ports in Alaska

paddingtonbear

Hi

We will be going on the Coral Princess from Alaska to Vancouver. I understand the 1 bottle of wine per person rule. Do they check if you have bought wine at each port when you re-embark?

I understand if you take any unstamped bottle to the dining room they will charge you corkage. But I was thinking we could drink these extra bottles in our cabin?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Whenever you return to the ship, all your belongings must go though the scanner. If you have a bottle in a backpack or bags, they will stop you. I had a bottle of cranberry liquor taken away from me in St. Petersburg. It was returned the last night of the cruise.

Be prepared to pay the corkage fee when you board anywhere with wine.

Be prepared to have any alcohol taken until the end of the cruise If you board anywhere with it.

Sometimes they do and some times they don't, just be prepared.

The policy has changed from what it was, they are more strict.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They usually have a table set up just past the scanners for you to hand in your alcohol. They are very pleasant about it and they will hold it till the last day.

As noted, if you want to drink the wine during the cruise, they will charge you corkage fees.

As noted, if you want to drink the wine during the cruise, they will charge you corkage fees.

Theoretically any alcohol (including wine) brought on at a port stop will be held by Princess until the end of the cruise. On the other hand, they do not always check for alcohol when reboarding.

Taking on wine at the embarkation port will have the corkage charge made after the first bottle.

Edited by caribill

Yes, good. Nice to order Princess wine onboard. My thought is that not only would the wine in Alaska be expensive, but also the choice is limited.

I bring wine onboard on cruises where there are winery tours, etc, but it isn't worth doing in Alaska. I would rather spend time in Alaska seeing the wilderness sights, rather than shopping for the perfect or inexpensive bottle of wine.

Enjoy Alaska! :) :)

I bought two bottles of wine in Ketchikan at Safeway. It was just a little more than

here in San Diego. Excellent selection and prices. Had no trouble bringing it onboard.

Did not try Juneau or Skagway.

Greg

Theoretically any alcohol (including wine) brought on at a port stop will be held by Princess until the end of the cruise. On the other hand, they do not always check for alcohol when reboarding.

While they didn't always check, you can't count on it. I would plan for them to be checking...

As others have noted, no consistency on checking. In May we had no problem at all at 3 different ports plus embarkation with bringing some on board. Not talking cases or even 1.75 ltr here, just a few miniatures, a quart or two, and a pint. Your mileage may vary so be prepared to have it "stored" for you for the duration. No harm, no foul.:D We had also stocked the suite with bottles purchased from Princess so it is not like we were trying to be cheap, just a few things that we like not on offer with Princess.

Edited by Jim Avery

I bought two bottles of wine in Ketchikan at Safeway. It was just a little more than

here in San Diego. Excellent selection and prices. Had no trouble bringing it onboard.

Did not try Juneau or Skagway.

Greg

Thanks for the tip concerning Safeway in Ketchikan. Good info!