Driving to Seattle

cruiselvr1

parking is very expensive in Seattle. Many charge their guests $20-$30 per day while they stay at the hotel.

The Port has parking at both piers. Look at the portseattle.org web for the cost. At Pier 91 there is a cheaper lot, called Smith Cove Parking.

If you want to leave your car at a hotel for a week while you cruise, google 'stay and cruise Seatac' or 'park and fly Seatac'. There are a few hotels that do so but they're in the airport area, about 30-40 minutes from downtown. Can't think of any downtown, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

From Seatac you can take the Light Rail downtown for $3pp. It takes 40 minutes. And then you need to get to the pier ....pier 66 is walkable but pier 91 is about a $15 taxi ride from downtown.

We stayed at a Best Western near the airport. They had a stay and park rate that got us parking for the entire cruise. We then paid $12 per person each way for a shuttle to the pier before and after the cruise.

Rates at the hotel were pretty good too. Some friends stayed downtown, and those hotels, as was stated earlier, charged up to $30 per night for parking.

The biggest drawback to driving in Seattle is the lack of parking near the waterfront, and the expense of of that parking. Some lots wanted $6 per hour. And there are VERY few lots.

We found it easier to just take the light rail into town from the airport. Cheaper and easier. Our hotel had a free shuttle to the airport, then light rail into town.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
How much was parking? 7 days or longer?

Thanks, Karen

Hey Karen, saw you were on the same Alaska cruise as us (Amsterdam) and are also from Oregon. We got a hotel room for 1 night at the Knights Inn near the airport with 8 days of parking and shuttle to cruiseport for $82.61 through StayParkTravel.com. It sure beats the cost of parking ($140+) at the cruiseport.

The price of parking is much cheaper near the aiport if you don't mind taking a shuttle. If you don't like shuttles, taxis and such are very expensive ($50+ each way), and you might as well pay the big dollar parking fees.

Hey Karen, saw you were on the same Alaska cruise as us (Amsterdam) and are also from Oregon. We got a hotel room for 1 night at the Knights Inn near the airport with 8 days of parking and shuttle to cruiseport for $82.61 through StayParkTravel.com. It sure beats the cost of parking ($140+) at the cruiseport.

The price of parking is much cheaper near the aiport if you don't mind taking a shuttle. If you don't like shuttles, taxis and such are very expensive ($50+ each way), and you might as well pay the big dollar parking fees.

You get what you pay for .... that's a pretty shady area. Look at reviews on yelp or tripadvisor. I would encourage you to look at other park and fly hotels around the airport or even near Southcenter mall or Renton.

You get what you pay for .... that's a pretty shady area. Look at reviews on yelp or tripadvisor. I would encourage you to look at other park and fly hotels around the airport or even near Southcenter mall or Renton.

Wow your right. At the time we booked it we read some reviews and it looked low end but something we could live with for the few hours we would be there. We were mostly just wanting the parking and shuttle. I guess we'll reconsider. Now I'm not sure how safe the parking is even after we called the hotel and they said they have never had any problems with the parked cars. I sure don't know where the reviews we read were from but they were nothing like the ones on Yelp.

Have you thought of taking the train from Oregon to Seattle?

The Sleep Inn near Seatac, always gets positive reviews on this forum. They partner with Seattle Express so the shuttle is $12 pp to the pier.

Or try the Red Roof Inn.

This site might be helpful:

http://www.seattlesouthside.com/packages-and-promotions/category/5-park-stay-and-fly?li=16

We cancelled the reservations for the Knights Inn and are re-thinking the whole thing. Right now we are considering driving half way to Portland (3 hours) and staying the night with a friend, then driving the last 3 hours in the morning to Seattle and parking at one of the Sea-tac hotel parking lots which are as low as $4.99 a day. Then getting a flat-rate taxi to the pier. It's about $35 to go from airport area to pier 91 which isn't much more than a shuttle (for 2) and they pick you up wherever you are.

For those looking for reasonable transportation from the airport to cruise, you may want to check them out. You do have to call in advance for one though.

http://flatrateforhire.com/

PS I edited this for taxi price to Pier 91 as I was giving price to Pier 66. In any case the price for parking and transportation can be gotten for much less then the $177 it would cost to park at "cruise seattle parking"

Edited by tmcon01

You know...I live in SeaTac, not very far from the airport, and my first reaction when people say it's a bad neighborhood is usually to point out that not all of it is. But um, yeah...the Knights Inn is in a very shady area--a fair bit of street crime, and some unsavory characters hanging out. I wouldn't want to stay on International Boulevard anywhere north of Hwy 518 (and I live about a mile due west of there! :eek:) The neighborhood gets better once you get off the boulevard, but over there...just, NO.

We cancelled the reservations for the Knights Inn and are re-thinking the whole thing. Right now we are considering driving half way to Portland (3 hours) and staying the night with a friend, then driving the last 3 hours in the morning to Seattle and parking at one of the Sea-tac hotel parking lots which are as low as $4.99 a day. Then getting a flat-rate taxi to the pier. It's about $35 to go from airport area to pier 91 which isn't much more than a shuttle (for 2) and they pick you up wherever you are.

For those looking for reasonable transportation from the airport to cruise, you may want to check them out. You do have to call in advance for one though.

PS I edited this for taxi price to Pier 91 as I was giving price to Pier 66. In any case the price for parking and transportation can be gotten for much less then the $177 it would cost to park at "cruise seattle parking"

I wanted to edit my post above referring 'flatrateforhire' above, but am unable to do so. It has come to my attention that in the past year or so they seem to have gone down hill in their service and integrity. I certainly wouldn't want someone to get burned by them because of me recommending them.

Some of their drivers are still doing a good job and are honest, but many aren't. If you do use them, be sure to get a price before your ride and good luck with having then show up on time.

The last 5 cruises out of Pier 91 we’ve parked at the Seattle cruise park https://www.seattlecruiseparking.com/ $140 for the week and they pick you at your car, drop you off at the Pier for a short walk into terminal. Upon returning they pick at the same place they dropped you off at. I don’t need the hassle of parking my car up by the airport or in Sea-Tac and tasking a cab or shuttle to the pier to save a couple of bucks. This reminds me I need to make reservations for August 30th Golden cruise

I don’t need the hassle of parking my car up by the airport or in Sea-Tac and tasking a cab or shuttle to the pier to save a couple of bucks..

We will be saving $50 from your $140, not just a couple. Since we will both be parking and taking a shuttle, the only difference in our plan and yours is our shuttle ride is a little longer. Well worth it to us.

Not everyone has money to throw away.

a couple of quick thoughts from a local. First flatrateforhire.com is a great company. I've used them often. Since they charge by zip code you need to do the homework ahead of time. If you know its a $24 rate its best to know that before hand otherwise the driver will 'guess' which zip code your headed to. Other thing is on

tripadvisor.com

seattle forum on top right is top questions and one has a link to hotel with park and stay programs. You can find a lot of

seattlesouthside.com

but there are others. Some places such as Knights Inn are on the notel motel cirucuit but 3 and 4 star properties would be best. Be aware that many of these are open parking lots with no protection so be cautious. If you used Hotwire.com and got a 4 star you can park for a week at places such as

shuttlepark2 or Park N Jet lot 2 for about $8 a day in a secure lot.

We will be saving $50 from your $140, not just a couple. Since we will both be parking and taking a shuttle, the only difference in our plan and yours is our shuttle ride is a little longer. Well worth it to us.

Not everyone has money to throw away.

WOW! You saved a lot, enough to get a ride on the Blue bus out to Mendenhall glacier. Which lot at near airport you going to park at and which shuttle are you going to use to get out to Pier 91. I might have to give it a try next time we go out of Pier 91.

It’s not about throwing money away, it’s about convenience. Seattle Cruise Park is a really convenient place to park. But you have to pay for that convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Golden. Walked off the ship at 8:15am, picked up our bags, cleared customs and immigration, walked out the front of the terminal to the shuttle to Seattle Cruise Ship parking lot, the shuttle was waiting. At 8:45am I was getting on I-5 South bound and home by 9:30am. The disembarkation/shuttle process couldn’t have been any easier. The longest/hardest part was getting onto I-5, Seattle traffic is terrible.