2 adults and a toddler taking first Disney Cruise

bcakes

Last night, we booked what I'm told was the very last room on the September 1, 2014 Alaska Cruise. This will be my husband's and my first Disney Cruise (though we've cruised NCL before) and our 23 month old son's first cruise.

Tell me, oh wise folks of the Disney forum, what do I need to know? I have lots of specific questions:

- Am I correct that my son can play at the kids club during "open house" time if my husband or I is there to supervise?

- Any suggestions for activities toddlers will especially enjoy? (My son is active and enjoys music, animals and exploring new places. He also loves Mickey, so we hope he'll be impressed with the character experiences).

- Are there any excursions that are particularly good for toddlers. I was thinking of just doing the ports on our own for flexibility, but I'm open to ideas for tours and activities that are toddler friendly.

- Since we booked late, only late seating was available. We're on the wait list for early seating. I'm really hoping we get into early seating so that my son will be awake for dinner. What are the odds of getting off the wait list? If we don't get off the wait list, what our the options for feeding my son around 5 each day so that we don't experience hungry toddler melt-down?

Thank you!

Yes, you are correct that you can play in the Oceaneer's Club during "Open House" hours with one or both parents in attendance. Other than those hours, your son is too young to participate in this space.

You'll need to check the Navigator for specifics, but on most cruises there is an early morning toddler exercise/fun type thing in the Promenade Lounge...sometimes a "special friend" makes an appearance. Also, the family dance time can be a hoot with little ones (and they are most welcome) to dance with mom or dad or just spin in circles on their own--locations are usually Promenade Lounge and Studio Sea. The ones in the Promenade Lounge happen most evenings. There is a splash area by the pool for toddlers. Unless he is fully toilet trained, he can't use the pools.

The characters are trained to never approach a young child unless the child/parent moves toward them. So, they will stand at a distance and wave to him, etc...but it will be up to him or you to make the approach. They don't want to hear "Goofy scared my kid." Goofy won't approach any little kid without an OK from a parent or the kid making the move first. That's a "just so you know." They aren't being "stand-offish." They are avoiding frightening young ones. He will probably love the shows--most kids do. Get there a little early and get an aisle seat so that if he isn't happy, you can remove him.

Excursions in Alaska are varied and fun. If you want to spend some real money, you can pet sled dog puppies....but he can pet puppies at a local animal shelter. Or come to my house and he can pet my Husky. In Ketchikan, you can pay $1 each way for a bus to Totem Bite State Park. The park admission is free as are the guides. You can join a guided tour or go on your own with their map and see totem poles (actually re-makes of the originals) and a house area. DO NOT pay for a private guided tour of this place. The ONLY thing the tour group got that we didn't was a cup of hot chocolate in the gift shop. Also, the bus makes a stop at the local Wal-Mart should you have a need for something. Wal-mart operates a free shuttle back to the town--designed originally for crew, this is available to anyone. We did Totem Bite on our own and then stopped at the store on our way back (DD needed something essential...I have no idea what it was). If you do it this way, you need to walk across the street and up the small hill from the bus stop--just tell the driver you want to do it and he will take care of you. As to catching the bus to the state park--it is easy. The people at the visitor center are happy to direct you. Basically, you walk 2 blocks down the street and stand at the blue sign. If you walk to the bridge, you went too far.

We did whale watching, glacier, and visitor center in (?) Juneau. He'd like the visitor center. There are taxidermied animals, a brief film, artifacts, etc. You can hike and see salmon running, bears, etc. There are some cool waterfalls. I'm not sure how he'd feel about the whale watching, etc or whether that is worth the money at his age. Our excursion took us to all of the above, but there are options that just go to the glacier and visitor center and I know there is a way to get there on your own.

There is no way to predict your chances of getting off the wait list for main seating, BUT you can help them by calling DCL weekly and asking about your status. A CM who wants to can do it manually! The seating rotation are made up about 2 weeks before embarkation by the people ON the ship based on the info they have from shoreside. So at that point, if you don't have main on your KTTW card at check in you go to "dining changes" at the location listed on your Welcome Aboard Navigator and ask if you can be moved. If you can't--we do a "healthy snack" in the late afternoon. The fast food places as well as Goofy's Galley are open on the pool deck. Goofy's has fruit, wraps, salads, sandwiches, etc. You can also order from room service. The "fast food" places will have hamburgers, tacos, chicken fingers, fries, etc. pizza....you know, that sort of thing. There is a special at Pluto's Dog House each day as well as the "every day" menu.

Edited by moki'smommy

Yes' date=' you are correct that you can play in the Oceaneer's Club during "Open House" hours with one or both parents in attendance. Other than those hours, your son is too young to participate in this space.

You'll need to check the Navigator for specifics, but on most cruises there is an early morning toddler exercise/fun type thing in the Promenade Lounge...sometimes a "special friend" makes an appearance. Also, the family dance time can be a hoot with little ones (and they are most welcome) to dance with mom or dad or just spin in circles on their own--locations are usually Promenade Lounge and Studio Sea. The ones in the Promenade Lounge happen most evenings. There is a splash area by the pool for toddlers. Unless he is fully toilet trained, he can't use the pools.

The characters are trained to never approach a young child unless the child/parent moves toward them. So, they will stand at a distance and wave to him, etc...but it will be up to him or you to make the approach. They don't want to hear "Goofy scared my kid." Goofy won't approach any little kid without an OK from a parent or the kid making the move first. That's a "just so you know." They aren't being "stand-offish." They are avoiding frightening young ones. He will probably love the shows--most kids do. Get there a little early and get an aisle seat so that if he isn't happy, you can remove him.

Excursions in Alaska are varied and fun. If you want to spend some real money, you can pet sled dog puppies....but he can pet puppies at a local animal shelter. Or come to my house and he can pet my Husky. In Ketchikan, you can pay $1 each way for a bus to Totem Bite State Park. The park admission is free as are the guides. You can join a guided tour or go on your own with their map and see totem poles (actually re-makes of the originals) and a house area. DO NOT pay for a private guided tour of this place. The ONLY thing the tour group got that we didn't was a cup of hot chocolate in the gift shop. Also, the bus makes a stop at the local Wal-Mart should you have a need for something. Wal-mart operates a free shuttle back to the town--designed originally for crew, this is available to anyone. We did Totem Bite on our own and then stopped at the store on our way back (DD needed something essential...I have no idea what it was). If you do it this way, you need to walk across the street and up the small hill from the bus stop--just tell the driver you want to do it and he will take care of you. As to catching the bus to the state park--it is easy. The people at the visitor center are happy to direct you. Basically, you walk 2 blocks down the street and stand at the blue sign. If you walk to the bridge, you went too far.

We did whale watching, glacier, and visitor center in (?) Juneau. He'd like the visitor center. There are taxidermied animals, a brief film, artifacts, etc. You can hike and see salmon running, bears, etc. There are some cool waterfalls. I'm not sure how he'd feel about the whale watching, etc or whether that is worth the money at his age. Our excursion took us to all of the above, but there are options that just go to the glacier and visitor center and I know there is a way to get there on your own.

There is no way to predict your chances of getting off the wait list for main seating, BUT you can help them by calling DCL weekly and asking about your status. A CM who wants to can do it manually! The seating rotation are made up about 2 weeks before embarkation by the people ON the ship based on the info they have from shoreside. So at that point, if you don't have main on your KTTW card at check in you go to "dining changes" at the location listed on your Welcome Aboard Navigator and ask if you can be moved. If you can't--we do a "healthy snack" in the late afternoon. The fast food places as well as Goofy's Galley are open on the pool deck. Goofy's has fruit, wraps, salads, sandwiches, etc. You can also order from room service. The "fast food" places will have hamburgers, tacos, chicken fingers, fries, etc. pizza....you know, that sort of thing. There is a special at Pluto's Dog House each day as well as the "every day" menu.[/quote']

Great tips!, thank you. we're taking our 2-year old in October.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. I'm taking notes on the excursion ideas and Dcl will be getting a call from me tomorrow about dining. I wouldn't have thought to follow up pre boarding. Even though I claim to have booked the trip for my son's benefit, I am way more excited than he is (though he did say he wanted to go on a boat with Mickey).

Last night, we booked what I'm told was the very last room on the September 1, 2014 Alaska Cruise. This will be my husband's and my first Disney Cruise (though we've cruised NCL before) and our 23 month old son's first cruise.

Tell me, oh wise folks of the Disney forum, what do I need to know? I have lots of specific questions:

- Am I correct that my son can play at the kids club during "open house" time if my husband or I is there to supervise?

- Any suggestions for activities toddlers will especially enjoy? (My son is active and enjoys music, animals and exploring new places. He also loves Mickey, so we hope he'll be impressed with the character experiences).

- Are there any excursions that are particularly good for toddlers. I was thinking of just doing the ports on our own for flexibility, but I'm open to ideas for tours and activities that are toddler friendly.

- Since we booked late, only late seating was available. We're on the wait list for early seating. I'm really hoping we get into early seating so that my son will be awake for dinner. What are the odds of getting off the wait list? If we don't get off the wait list, what our the options for feeding my son around 5 each day so that we don't experience hungry toddler melt-down?

Thank you!

Yes, your little one can play with a parent during Open House time. I'd call every other day regarding the dining and see if they have any openings. If you cant get it, the grill/pizza is open so you can get him something to eat. Room service is also available.

When on a 7 night Fantasy cruise with friends who brought their 2 year old along, we all had second dinner seating. Max took an afternoon nap every day, saw the first show, and was a delight at second seating! The serving staff also made him feel so very special.

I called today and was told we have a good chance of getting off the wait list, but that there was nothing that could be done now. My husband gets the honor of being the next caller. I wish we could be assured that my son would be a pleasure at second seating, but he is very vocal when he is unhappy (and dh and I are very conscious of bothering others since we were the grumpy judgmental childless couple until we had him). Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I am getting more and more excited for the trip.

I am bumping this to say thanks again. We followed the advice to be squeaky wheels and we got into main dining today, so no toddler melt downs at dinner. (All meltdowns will occur at the late show instead :p )

Crackers,

We were told every single time we called about the wait list that there were lots of kids on board and likely we wouldn't get early seating. The email 're our seating change came a few hours after our last call. I can't prove it, but I do think k calling made all the difference.

We are two weeks out from our cruise and really excited. DS has been waving g and saying "hello Mickey" so I think he understands that he will be seeing the mouse soon.