This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

Perhaps it might be helpful to consider some statistics as they apply to cruisers. HAL tends to attract a lot of Seniors (including moi) and as of 2014 (CDC Statistics) 8.5% of those over 65 smoke. Among those with college degrees (regardless of age) only 7.9% smoke. Bottom line is this entire smoking discussion is about fewer then 10% of HAL cruisers! By the way, one very interesting statistic is that among all the population about 18% between ages 45-64 smoke...but this is cut in half at age 65 and over (we wonder why). On our most recent HAL cruise (Prinsendam) there seemed to be very few smokers....but quite a few passengers using supplemental oxygen. The CDC says at least 90% of deaths due to COPD (a majority of those who use supplemental Oxygen) are related to smoking. Just fruit for thought.

Hank

Are these figures for all HAL cruisers or just American cruisers?

On the second leg of our recent Koningsdam cruise there were apparently 1700 Dutch and English was very much the second language.

I has been suggested that HA should highlight the fact that smoking is allowed in certain areas of the ship, including the veranda. With my tongue firmly in my cheek, I would like to submit for HA's consideration a redesign of their cover page.

Please be advised of the following before booking your cruise with us:

- There are areas of the ship where passengers are allowed to smoke, including their own balcony;

- Some passengers may have too much perfume on.

- The entryway to your cabin is raised.

- The ship may suddenly rock.

- The music may be loud.

- You might have to wait in a line.

- The weather might be bad.

- We may have to miss a port occasionally. Please see above.

- You will be in a confined area.

- Passengers may be rude. Please see above.

- Your fare may be higher than someone else's

- If you accept all of the above and are able to relax and remind yourself how lucky you are to be able to cruise, please proceed to booking and prepare to have a vacation of a lifetime.

(All of the above complaints have been registered in this forum at one time or another)

Good idea but you forgot that fit able bodied passengers are allowed to use the elevators.

Seems it's not all right to decrease the non-smokers' choices even a little bit, but it's perfectly fine to diminish smokers' choices even more than they have been.

Considering the percentage of smokers decreases every year, yes, it is perfectly fine to diminish their choices.

Considering the percentage of smokers decreases every year, yes, it is perfectly fine to diminish their choices.

Smoking kills, remember these two words.

I agree it is appropriate to reduce smoking spaces on cruise ships. It is the natural progression as we move to a mostly smoke free society in the US. Older smokers die off at faster rates. Public health campaigns heavily target young people and we have statistical evidence that fewer and fewer kids start smoking.

Tens of millions quit smoking 20 plus years ago when US public spaces became smoke free. More quit when workplaces went smoke free and many employers stopped hiring smokers. More quit when landlords refused to rent to smokers.

Someone mentioned the Oak room, I remember it well from my Zuiderdam cruise a year or so after she launched. You had to walk by this room to get someplace I went every day, either the library or the Crows Nest. The hallway reeked of smoke. I don't remember if the room had a door but the smoke came pouring out into my corridor space.

Smoking kills, remember these two words.

I agree it is appropriate to reduce smoking spaces on cruise ships. It is the natural progression as we move to a mostly smoke free society in the US. Older smokers die off at faster rates. Public health campaigns heavily target young people and we have statistical evidence that fewer and fewer kids start smoking.

Tens of millions quit smoking 20 plus years ago when US public spaces became smoke free. More quit when workplaces went smoke free and many employers stopped hiring smokers. More quit when landlords refused to rent to smokers.

Someone mentioned the Oak room, I remember it well from my Zuiderdam cruise a year or so after she launched. You had to walk by this room to get someplace I went every day, either the library or the Crows Nest. The hallway reeked of smoke. I don't remember if the room had a door but the smoke came pouring out into my corridor space.

Having to walk through one stretch of smelly corridor is better than having to smell smoke on your balcony.

The problem with providing an indoor place to smoke is that HAL's ships are small and don't have many extra rooms that could be converted to a smokers' lounge.

We smoke and always book a balcony. Thank god Hal still allows smoking on the balconies. We will stop cruising if the policy changes. I totally think having smoking on one side of the ship is acceptable. People do you really think smoking in the open air will cause you a health risk, if that were true there would be none of us born in the 50's alive! Lol

We smoke and always book a balcony. Thank god Hal still allows smoking on the balconies. We will stop cruising if the policy changes. I totally think having smoking on one side of the ship is acceptable. People do you really think smoking in the open air will cause you a health risk, if that were true there would be none of us born in the 50's alive! Lol

iFew smnokers can or do undegtand how horridgtheir smokoke smellst o many of us. It makes it imposib le orus to enjoyouuf ev erandah. don'' jusgt pick herqalthrisk of sedc ond hand smoke and smugly gghink you are nognot disgturbing otherrs YOU WOUL b e misgtakebn.

Edited by sail7seas

The problem with providing an indoor place to smoke is that HAL's ships are small and don't have many extra rooms that could be converted to a smokers' lounge.

The Regent ships are all quite a bit smaller than HAL's yet they manage to find space for decent exclusive quality smoking lounges. The "Connoisseurs Lounge".

Fifty percent of the cruising population does not smoke. Even adding in the percent of those booking who didn't care, HAL would sail with one side full and far too many open rooms on the smoking side.

Fifty percent of the cruising population does not smoke. Even adding in the percent of those booking who didn't care, HAL would sail with one side full and far too many open rooms on the smoking side.

Fifty percent? Do you think it's that low? More than 50% of the general population are nonsmokers.

Fifty percent? Do you think it's that low? More than 50% of the general population are nonsmokers.

I think you read it the same way I did at first. I'm pretty sure the point they were making was, 50% does not smoke...meaning, ship balconies won't fill evenly if 1 side was designated smoking and the other side non smoking.

Maybe make 40-50 verandah cabins on the top deck smoking. It wouldn't impact as many others as smoke rises. (maybe that's why the smokestack is on top?):rolleyes:
Congratulations on post 3888 . The Chinese, many of whom are heavy smokers , consider triple 8 very good luck .

888_tobacco_house_de_luxe_l_20_s_switzerland.jpg

I think you read it the same way I did at first. I'm pretty sure the point they were making was, 50% does not smoke...meaning, ship balconies won't fill evenly if 1 side was designated smoking and the other side non smoking.

Correct. A smoker had suggested one side smoking and one side non smoking. I was (unsuccessfully) saying that 50/50 would leave the NS side full and the smoking side poorly filled, even factoring in the folks who don't smoke but don't mind the smell.

Correct. A smoker had suggested one side smoking and one side non smoking. I was (unsuccessfully) saying that 50/50 would leave the NS side full and the smoking side poorly filled, even factoring in the folks who don't smoke but don't mind the smell.

f it wasthat simple and would work, dont you think cfuise lines would have done iitn log abgo? It is not an an original idea

Edited by sail7seas

We cruised with HAL in Alaska and enjoyed the cruise except for the chain smokers on the balcony next to us. We said "never again" and that is exactly what has happened, as we have been looking for a cruise that visits Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. Holland America and Princess both offer the itinerary we like. Our first choice would have been HAL because of the smaller ship/fewer passengers, but will try Princess for the first time because they have the itinerary we want, although the ship is much larger.

So, we will take our business, and money, elsewhere until HAL bans balcony smoking. Yes, it's about "choice." But in this case we feel our choice was dictated by smokers, and our "choice" was definitely diminished.

I absolutely agree that smokers should have quality designated smoking areas. I just wish balconies weren't part of the equation.

I swore I was not going to follow/reply to this thread anymore. But, nope, I can not resist....

Sheltie (no offense but my forever-favorite breed of dog), have you followed this thread for some time? I suspect you have not. Please review the past several months/years of posts in this thread.

Maybe make 40-50 verandah cabins on the top deck smoking. It wouldn't impact as many others as smoke rises. (maybe that's why the smokestack is on top?):rolleyes:

Thanks for your comment. Your idea has been hashed and rehashed (here, in this thread, and elsewhere) many times. Honestly, it doesn't work for several reasons (both business and sociopolitical ones).

Edited by Love2Cruise4Less

Do ships that operate (home ported) from Australia have different smoking policies? I seem to recall some talk about that... it might have been when Carnival moved a Spirit class ship there a couple of years ago. I think that there was some change in tipping as well.

Along those lines, it sure appears that the Australian government is serious about attempts to discourage smoking... in THIS article from CNN.

Tom

Do ships that operate (home ported) from Australia have different smoking policies? I seem to recall some talk about that... it might have been when Carnival moved a Spirit class ship there a couple of years ago. I think that there was some change in tipping as well.

Along those lines, it sure appears that the Australian government is serious about attempts to discourage smoking... in THIS article from CNN.

Tom

Man, I love the Aussies! :D

e[QUOeT]omn CherylDo ships that operate (home ported) from Australia have different smoking policies? I seem to recall some talk about that... it might have been when Carnival moved a Spirit class ship there a couple of years ago. I think that there was some change in tipping as well.

Tom [/quote[

Hql shipS ARE rFLqgged in the NETHERANDS.gREAT WHAT THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT WANTS. tHALHAL shipds asre flagged in ghe Negtherlacorporatrheadquareters are U.S. HAL is not an Australian company company.QUOTE=Aquahound;5021T731]Man, I love the Aussies! :D

Edited by sail7seas

Tom

As an Aussie the sad thing is, it doesn't seem to discourage smokers but it makes the sight of smoking and those packets even more disturbing for us non smokers!

Smokers in Australia started purchasing nice containers to put their packets in but then these were banned. The latest is talk of doubling the taxes over the next 5 years and sending the price above $40 a packet! I thought it was expensive when they hit $3 ... Phew am I glad I quit!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

As an Aussie the sad thing is, it doesn't seem to discourage smokers but it makes the sight of smoking and those packets even more disturbing for us non smokers!

Smokers in Australia started purchasing nice containers to put their packets in but then these were banned. The latest is talk of doubling the taxes over the next 5 years and sending the price above $40 a packet! I thought it was expensive when they hit $3 ... Phew am I glad I quit!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Wowza - so you're saying that they're about $20/pack now ?? !! :eek:

Tom