Summit to Bermuda after Reflection & Silhouette???

bandp407

DH & I ( 71 & 61) have sailed twice on the Reflection & once on the Silhouette. We also have another 2 sailings booked for Silhouette. All are in Aqua Class . As many others , we love dining in Blu & generally take the hump balcony cabins.

So now the question - we are considering the Summit to Bermuda for next July. I have read a number of not so great reviews regarding the condition of some of the cabin baths. etc. I know the ship is old but with the renovation in 2012, I would hope this not to be the case. Can you sail on the Summit after the Solstice ships??? What is the overall atmosphere onboard?

Onto the cabins - we do not want the aft cabins on deck 11 as there is no overhang & thus no rain or sun protection

1) Do the starboard & port side cabins on deck 11 have an overhang

2) How about the noise factor

3) Would we be better off on deck 9 -best suggestions as the pool and public lavatory is above in certain spots

4) Is there an outside eating area for the Oceanview Cafe - we love breakfast & lunch on deck

5) Is there a good variety of dance music - we enjoy good music & dancing when away

On the newer ships it is not as difficult to select a cabin.

I would appreciate any feedback. It would greatly help us make a decision. Thanks to all!

DH & I ( 71 & 61) have sailed twice on the Reflection & once on the Silhouette. We also have another 2 sailings booked for Silhouette. All are in Aqua Class . As many others , we love dining in Blu & generally take the hump balcony cabins.

So now the question - we are considering the Summit to Bermuda for next July. I have read a number of not so great reviews regarding the condition of some of the cabin baths. etc. I know the ship is old but with the renovation in 2012, I would hope this not to be the case. Can you sail on the Summit after the Solstice ships??? What is the overall atmosphere onboard?

Onto the cabins - we do not want the aft cabins on deck 11 as there is no overhang & thus no rain or sun protection

3) Would we be better off on deck 9 -best suggestions as the pool and public lavatory is above in certain spots

4) Is there an outside eating area for the Oceanview Cafe - we love breakfast & lunch on deck

5) Is there a good variety of dance music - we enjoy good music & dancing when away

I would appreciate any feedback. It would greatly help us make a decision. Thanks to all!

Hi,:) I have sailed Summit 6 times......so yes, I can sail an M class

ship after an S class ship. Some folks don't like the M class ships,

some don't like the S class.....Personally, I am fine with both. I am

sailing on Reflection in November....my last cruise was on Century,

which is even older and smaller than Summit....I love that ship and

although there may have been a few issues, I still had an awesome

cruise:)

As to your speicfic questions....never been in AQ on Summit so I will

have to pass on that one.

Yes, there is a lovely area all the way aft outside of the buffet.

Tables, chairs, umbrellas and a bar. One of my favorite spots:)

I LOVE IT out there:D

The overall atmosphere? Bermuda is a bit different than other

itineraries......for a few reasons.....you are docked for 3 days and

so the ship is more like a hotel. The gangway is open 24/7 so you

can come and go all the time. If you are planning to go in the middle

of the summer? From my experience, there are way more families/

kids on board than a usual cruise. The Tri-state area is out of school

(as most areas are in July) so lots more kids. I am not critisizing,

I am just giving you information.......I went to Bermuda in August of

last year.....I had a great time but if I go again, I would go at the

beginning of the season..May.....most kids are still in school;)

Hi Lois R & thank you for the info. Everyone is different - you are so right.

Yes, we are contemplating July of next year. I know the kids are out of school but it is an available time for us to sail.

So glad to hear there is an outside area beyond the Oceanview Café. From past years ( a long time ago) I remember the ships were very quiet when docked. Do you recall if there is music & entertainment in the evenings while docked?

You will LOVE the Reflection. We sailed on her twice. Beautiful ship - ENJOY!

I have sailed Reflection before, although it was only 3 nights for her

Inaurgural back in Dec 2012. I have been on all the S class ships so

I know the differences.:)

Yes, there is still entertainment on board the ship while she is docked

in Bermuda. They had a wonderful show from 54 Below (in Manhatten)

Different entertainers were on different weeks. I don't know if they

will have it next year or not....too far away to tell;). I was quite

lucky and saw a fantastic gal by the name of Kerry Butler. She starred

in Hairspray on Broadway. I don't remember the rest of the shows but

by the time you cruise there will be other Bermuda sailings so you will

be able to get first hand information at that point.

I sailed on s class ships six times before sailing on Infinity, I was a little concerned before but figured as long as it was clean and I got good service it would be fine.

It was amazing! The ship is beautiful, the size is great, it was in great condition, we loved it, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either M or S class now :)

The first time on X we sailed on the Solstice in AQ. The next cruise was on the Summit in AQ 9072 after the Soltislization. We did get some noise from above early in the morning because of the crew moving the chairs. . We were also disappointed as we expected it to be the same as a S class. The Persian Garden is like a dungeon, it did not have the loungers, there was a heated bench like a church pew. The balcony was very narrow and there was no foot stool. It was completely different from a S class ship.

We were disappointed at first but really enjoyed the ship as it has a lot of nice features. Don't expect it to be like a S class ship and you will find that the ship in itself is very nice.

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅🐫

Edited by miched

For your first question see the thread below for wonderful photos of the AQ deck 11 balconies. The aft balconies DO have an overhang, it just doesn't cover the length of the balcony. The port and starboard AQ deck 11 balconies have a very teeny tiny overhang on smaller than usual balconies. The aft balconies have loungers while the port and starboard ones only have regular chairs and a small table). If it was me I would go with an aft balcony or think about a deck 9 AQ cabin.

This thread has the most comprehensive info on the Summit deck 11 AQ balconies..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629443

Our first Celebrity Cruise was on the Solstice in 2012 and we loved it...

We had similar questions to yours after we decided to book onto the Summit for 2013 as we loved the Itinerary

In reality, YES the Summit is a M-Class Ship so a tad older (launched 2001), but we found her in good order and had some familiar elements post Solsticization that we were familiar with from our time on the Solstice.

And just basic things that obviously the S-Class Ships copied from the M-Class ones (such as the Oceanview Buffet Backdeck). As you have expressed a great place to enjoy a meal, a drink, or just sit out in the sunshine.

We found the Summit to be familiar enough to keep us happy, and different enough to want us to explore further. And the Celebrity level of service that we've come to love... remains.

So we have no qualms sailing now on either S or M Class Ships... in fact we have 2 cruises currently booked, both M-Class for the next year. Another on the Summit to Bermuda, and an upcoming Caribbean one on the Constellation (just worked out that way, as there were no S-Class Ships cruising when or where we wanted to go).

There are indeed some differences between the two series... be it the layout of the cabins, furniture / storage... or places around the ship... we certainly fell in love with the T-Pool in the Solarium... quite different from the pools on the S-Class Ships.

The openness that you found on the S-Class Ships isn't to the same degree on the M-Class. Which isn't a bad thing... just different. On the otherhand, some venues were more open... such as Cellarmasters & the Rendezvous Lounge, the latter which spreads out across a large expanse of the 4th Deck. This Lounge has a REAL Dance Floor... and is a popular spot in the evenings.... very very different vibe than say Sky Lounge, Quasar, or the Grand Foyer area where people go to dance on the S-Class Ships

I don't believe that selecting a cabin is any more difficult on the M-Class Ships... especially so if you are a reader of this CC Board, and have checked out the STICKY at the top of the Board that has info on M-Class Cabins.

On the Summit in 2013 we used that info to select a Concierge Class Aft Sunset Balcony Cabin and were extremely satisfied... for our upcoming cruise on the Constellation we again used that info to choose an Aqua Class Cabin on Deck 11 Aft... again a Sunset Balcony.

But, if I was unsure about being fully aft, there were certainly other places that I would have felt quite comfy based on the reviews and comments I read here on the Celebrity Board (be that a C1 in "Suitesville" on Deck 6, or an Aqua Class Cabin on either Decks 9 or 11... lots of cabins that were more central / midship to choose from).

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thank you all so much for your time & wealth of information!! Most of our questions are answered. I am SO happy to hear there is an outside area for the Oceanview Caffe & a REAL dance floor on the Summit. The Grand Foyer can sometimes leave you shaking your head!

Thank you again - now the decision!

Hi,

I won't be worried about Summit.

OK, I must admit, I do not know any Solstice-class-ship, but:

I have sailed two times on Summit (2013 and 2014), I really liked the ship, and I have the impression that the refurbishment in 2012 worked really good!

The overall condition of the ship was very well, our cabin was clean, and also the public areas were in a good shape. Also, the ship has got new sunloungers.

So do not hesitate to book M-class - due to the perfect size and great layout, they are my favourite ships - we have booked Millennium for 2015. :)

I was on the Summit in May 2013 and March 2014. There weren't any umbrellas on tables outside the Oceanview Cafe for either cruise. Is that something new?

Hi:)...nope......maybe they are up for some cruises and not up for

others?......I know I have been outside when they had them.....can't

recall if it has been for every single cruise or not....or maybe I have

my ships mixed up....that could be a definite possibility:eek:

Thanks to all for your positive feedback on the Summit. That combined with some additional research I've gone ahead and booked her for July 2015. Guess which cabin - 1140!!

Sloop-John B - a special thanks for the info on the Oceanview Cafe outside back deck AND the REAL Dance Floor in the Rendezvous Lounge. I think this combination sold my husband!!

Enjoy many pleasant sailings!

On th M class ships there is overhang on the aft cabins. They are very popular and hard to come by. I highly recommend 1138 and 1140 but any of the aft on 11 are good. Actually if we can't get AQ aft we will always di C1 aft before any other location. They also have coverage.

Linda

We have sailed the Solstice once, Summit twice with two more Summit cruises booked in AQ. Sailing the Summit is very relaxing, has an old fashioned feel, lots of wood paneling vs soaring atriums. You will love the Solarium pool (why did they ever change it on the S class?). However, I did miss the heated loungers. The M class only has heated seats with no windows. So you lose one thing, but also gain with the thalassotherapy pool. We also liked the smaller number of passengers on Summit. We made more friends on Summit for the week. The officers and crew are outstanding.. If the still have Dancing with the Stripes, don't miss it.

Jean,

Thank you for all of your nice Summit comments. We have booked Aqua for next July & are actually very excited based on some of the replies to my initial post. The old fashion feel that you mention is quite appealing to us. Before 2012 we were away from cruising for a number of years and remember the warmth of many of the older ships. Thanks again & enjoy your next two Summit sailings!

Thanks to all for your positive feedback on the Summit. That combined with some additional research I've gone ahead and booked her for July 2015. Guess which cabin - 1140!!

Sloop-John B - a special thanks for the info on the Oceanview Cafe outside back deck AND the REAL Dance Floor in the Rendezvous Lounge. I think this combination sold my husband!!

Enjoy many pleasant sailings!

Thank you for your kind words... Happy I could help.

Lol, based on all I've read 1140 should be spectacular for you... We have also snagged an Aft Sunset Aqua for an upcoming cruise. Am very excited. And my Hubby like yours is stoked, especially by the thought of being just steps away from the Oceanview Bar, Buffet & Backdeck... Definitely one of his Favourite places on Celebrity Ships (lol whenever I cannot find him... I go there first)

On th M class ships there is overhang on the aft cabins. They are very popular and hard to come by. I highly recommend 1138 and 1140 but any of the aft on 11 are good. Actually if we can't get AQ aft we will always di C1 aft before any other location. They also have coverage.

Linda

Ya we've become affirmed Aft-ers on the M-Class Ships... Our Concierge C1 on The Summit in 2012 for our Southern Caribbean Cruise was AMAZING !!

So much so, that we are going to do it again... With a C1 booking & an A1 booking for our next two cruises (Constellation & Summit)

Cheers!

One reminder, if you like speciality restaurants: You should try out Qsine. Unlike as on the S-class-ships, the Qsine is located on one of the upper decks with great panoramic views! :)

Also the Normandie restaurant is worth a try - original panels from the Ocean Liner Normandie, and srvice and food as in the 1930s on the Transatlantic liners!

I sailed Equinox and then Reflection before Summit. I was concerned with going to M class.

Overall, M class is very nice. You still feel like you're on Celebrity. Crew was still fantastic, food still fantastic....

That said - I'm not a fan of the Oceanview Cafe layout of M class ships. It makes no sense and requires a ton of walking. I like to walk, but not from one end to the other to get my main dish and my side. The islands on the S class make more sense. I wish they'd rethink Oceanview.

The solarium on the summit has the Thalassotherapy pool which is better hands down than any S class solarium pool. So, you give and take. :-)

Some cabins on my deck had a bad smell in the bathrooms....we didn't fret over it too much but lets just say it was bad enough that my husband showered in the spa instead. It smelled like mold. Several cabins in my line had the smell and complained, and somehow despite their trying, it never changed.

All that said, I didn't hesitate to book Summit again. Matter of fact, she's the 1st X ship i'll be doing more than 1 run on :-)

Edited by ariawoman

One reminder, if you like speciality restaurants: You should try out Qsine. Unlike as on the S-class-ships, the Qsine is located on one of the upper decks with great panoramic views! :)

Also the Normandie restaurant is worth a try - original panels from the Ocean Liner Normandie, and srvice and food as in the 1930s on the Transatlantic liners!

Thanks Max! Given we are paying extra for Aqua Class & Blu we may limit our specialty restaurants. Hopefully Blu will not disappoint - it should actually get better with the reduction of Suite passengers dining there. Summit rolls out the Suite Class on April 5th.

I am sure you will love your first RCCL sailing. They do a very nice job. Someday try the Oasis or Allure - an amazing experience & NO it does not feel like there are 6000 pax onboard!!