Obc

DrJW

Can someone please exlpain why when one receives OBC from OCEANIA [ not TA]

why is it that Oceana only lets you spend their 'gift' of OBC only while ON BOARD!

Why won't they allow a booked passenger to book any of their excursions or one board activities[ i.e. Culinary Classes, etc.] on line using one's OBC, prior to cruise ? Instead they will only allow rservations by charging ones credit card! :mad:

When I called O to ask about this..all the rep would say is:

' OBC IS EXACTLY THAT: meant to be used ON BOARD.

In other words, one has to be on board to make use of this credit.

Ideally, I would like to book some of the offerings provided by O before they become fully booked. I am concerned that if I was until I am ON BOARD to use my OBC, that some of their offerings would no longer be available. I don't necessarily want to use all of my OBC at Spa or the shoppes!

I am curious as to what the rationale for this is.

BTW, other cruise companies [ i.e. Silversea, Crystal] allow their passengers to utilize OBC prior to being oboard.

Thanks for your input.

J

Edited by DrJW

Scads of other Oceania Clients are ready and willing to pay real dollars in advance, in order to reserve those same products and services

Given that fact, is it really fair to allow you to tie them up.....particularly when you're already getting them at no additional cost ?

We all have the same shot at pre-booking before the Cruise; it's just that the no cost option isn't on the table.

I would think any OBC would fall into the same deal no matter where it came from. I have seen the cooking classes sell out but not the shore trips at the price O charges, in fact just the opposite, getting canceled for lack of people. That is just the way O does it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Oceania is what it is. They don't copy from Silversea or Crystal or anyone else -- in fact, often others copy from Oceania (and Regent).

You can pay in advance, the once you are aboard you can cancel and rebook using the on board credit. Of course, you run the risk of canceling only to find yourself at the end of a wait list.

Jim is correct. If you could use the OBC ahead of time, that would render the excursions virtually free. More folls would take advantage and the excursions would sell out faster. The problem with that is some folks would not bother to cancel if they change their minds, and someone else would be denied the opportunity due to no shows. That's the primary fault with Regent's included excursions.

If you're willing to gamble, you can wait and your on board crdit may be used to make on board resevations for excursions. If you want a guaranteed place on the tour, the cost is paying for it in advance. Thousands of guests have no problem with the system.