1st time cruisers - 12 day Grand Med (Regal)

Aussie@Sea

Very first post, very first cruise!

Managed to book the 12 day Grand Med cruise August 30 from Venice into a months adventure in Europe, ending in Barca on MY BIRTHDAY!

Just wanting to see if anyone thinks we're on the right track...

We've already pre paid the gratuity and all inclusive alcohol package.

Have a nice mix of cruise excursions as well as paid for our own externally.

I definitely noted everyone's comments about not using cruise tours however since we haven't done a cruise before we wanted a few days arranged through Princess to ensure we get everything done and don't have to worry about missing the boat :p pun definitely intended!

Naples and Mykonos etc are going to be our own days when we'll see where the wind takes us.

While in port - I've budgeted between 10-50 euros depending on the port. Some are full day excursions we paid for upfront and include meals, entry fees etc and others like Naples we're going to just wander the streets on our own little pizza tour :)

Is there anything sneaky I need to pay attention to?

I've done A LOT of research so I'm hoping I'm prepared, but if any seasoned cruisers feel like offering up a little advice for either ports or the cruise itself, feel free to assist!

We leave in one week for the first part of our trip, couldn't be more excited.

I think you've done a great job of planning, particularly for a first time cruiser.

Don't listen to those who say never use ship's tours. If you're in a foreign country, don't speak the language and are unfamiliar with the best way to disembark and when to re-embark, cruise line tours offer an excellent experience and security knowing you're going to be taken care of. They are not always exorbitant and often offer excellent value.

You've "pre-paid" the gratuities but be aware that all you've done is send yourself onboard credit in the total amount of the hotel service charge. It'll show as a credit on your onboard folio and anything charged to your folio will be deducted. You will still be charged the nightly hotel service charge (auto-tip.) Just don't be surprised when you see this.

The most important thing is to relax, enjoy and go with the flow. Have a great cruise!

PS: Bring copies of your pre-paid gratuity and beverage confirmations for "just in case." Check your folio balance a couple of times during the cruise to make sure the credits are there and all charges are correct.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thanks Pam! 30k+ posts, you are the lady to know!

The trip was quite last minute so I've been very busy making sure I know all the ins and outs.

Like the fact I can’t pay for my shipboard account with a Cash Passport, only credit card or cash! Good thing I checked that out.

My terminology might not be very good so I guess I have the equivalent of what will be the gratuity in SHIPBOARD CREDITS...?

Everyone is different but I agree with you that when you’re somewhere unknown and have time constraints it isn’t a silly idea to book the cruise tours.

For Civitavecchia we arranged the cruise bus into Rome then our own HOHO and fast track tickets for Coliseum and the Vatican.

I’ve been before but this is on my partners bucket list so to ensure he can tick it off, I’ve planned ahead and won’t be waiting for trains, walking 5km to the station or waiting in the notoriously long tourist queues and potentially missing out.

On the other hand, for Dubrovnik, we can’t wait to see what adventures we can find when we get there, and love having no plans!

As a side note for any other newbies worried about booking cruise tours, I went on Viator and looked at some of their shore excursions for comparison and they were running fairly similar prices.

RE THE CONFIRMATIONS:

I've got 2 lots of copies for all our documentation.

They didn't send me an invoice for the drinks package and it doesn't show until you get on board apparently so I picked that little tricky one up and got them to email me confirmation :)

Hi Aussie@Sea

We did the Med cruise last year and I read your comment on Dubrovnik, and they have a shuttle bus from the port to the walled town, I think from memory it was 20Euros return each, there were heaps of taxis available at the port right next to the shuttle bus, and it was 10 Euros into the walled town, we caught it with another couple, so 4 people for 10 euros, bargain, and then we walked back to the ship, it was only about a few kilometres, and took about 30 minutes, but a very pleasant walk along the coastline, on a footpath, so very safe. Dubrovnik was lovely town, plenty to see and very easy to get around. You will enjoy it.

The Med cruise is amazing, we had 21 days cruise on a Princess ship, also Venice to Barcelona, we then had 4 days in Barcelona which was great.

Enjoy and travel safe.

Pat

Thanks for the tip Pat!

I've wondered if the various shuttles were worth it as many have said some lines don't provide any transport to the towns at all, and logistics can be tricky with taxis in certain ports not willing to do the short run either.

It's also hard to find any information on which ports the cruise will actually provide shuttles for.

I'm starting to think calling or emailing them is like the lottery with which answer you might get... I'm up to 3 different responses to the same question :)

Welcome to your first cruise!

For me the planning and anticipation is part of the fun, you seem to be doing a great job for a first timer.

I have to echo what Pam said about booking through the cruise line. For new cruisers it is a safe and easy alternative. For some ports it just makes sense, particularly if you are wanting to go far away. I will suggest Rick Steve's awesome book on Cruise ports in the Med to help, he has a great section on planning and even suggests where it may be best to go with the Cruise line and where it is ok to go out on your own, along with time and travel tested companies and guides, plus walks and recommendations. I am using it to help plan my trip for next summer.

We usually do a mix on each cruise, and have since our first. Most none cruiseline excursions have been far better, with the exception of the one on our last Alaska cruise where we float planed to a lodge for a Salmon bake, which was incredible, but pricey!

Pre-book the shore excursions you cannot bear to miss. And pre-book entrances to some of the busiest sites in Europe.

Cruise Critic is an amazing resource and there are people with scads of experience.

I also encourage you to read Reviews posted in the Princess folder, Member reviews, ports folder, and the Roll Calls to get further info and what does and does not work and to help you formulate your plans.

Happy 1st Cruise!

Good choice! The Grand Med was our first empty-nest bucket list trip and it did not dissappoint. I know you seem to already have your itinerary set, and we almost always do most ports on our own, but.... one of my favorite Princess ship excursions of all time was the Amalfi Coast bus trip out of Naples. It stops in a Sorrento and Amalfi and a beautiful place for lunch, but the journey is the experience. The scenery is unforgettable. That said, if you do decide on this, make sure you get a seat on the right side of the bus with an unobstructed window, if possible. Also, don't miss the sailaway in Venice. Go to the top deck and get the champagne. If you have any time at the end of the trip in Barcelona, don't miss the Boqueria on Las Ramblas. Foodie heaven. Have fun, it's a terrific trip.:o Sigh...

A fabulous itinerary - leaving from Venice and including stops in Mykonos, Rome and Naples and then ending in Barcelona is just like winning the lottery!

Mykonos town is great to wander and explore - getting lost is half the fun. The narrow alleys and squares are very picturesque and have curious boutiques and craft shops worth exploring and watch out for Petros the Pelican who struts his stuff around the streets and will frighten the living daylights out of you when he peers over your shoulder while you're sipping a beer!!! . If you're docked here it might be worth paying for the transfer, as the road from the dock to the town (c1.7 miles) is winding, narrow and has no pavement (US: sidewalk) in many places.

We love Naples. Some on these boards will opine that it's dirty and dangerous, but we've always found it fascinating with vibrant street markets with displays of the freshest fish and produce. Sure, it could be considered "edgy", but keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. And while there, take a walk (about a mile from the port) to Pizzeria Trianon (VIA Colletta 44/46 - 80139 Napoli) for the most authentic pizza we've ever had; no mozzarella, pepperoni, seafood or any other topping options here, just the thinnest of bases, the freshest tomato sauce and a few basil leaves! Yum! And if you feel adventurous, explore "Spaccanapoli" - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaccanapoli_(street) - you may like to check this out as well: http://www.minube.co.uk/place/via-s-biagio-dei-librai--a86033

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time!

Two suggestions.

If you have not done so yet, join your Cruise Critic roll call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1831472 You will make new friends before the cruise and both now and on the cruise they can help answer your questions and help you get the most out of your cruise.

Also download from the Princess web site the "Cruise Answer Book." It will provide answers to many questions about cruising on Princess. You can download it at https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page

Have a great vacation!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU everyone!

You're all so knowledgeable.

We've pre booked fast track tickets to Vatican & Coliseum so we wont miss out.

I've done Positano/Amalfi (just not from Naples) so this time we've hired a car to do the trip. Yes I am very aware of how crazy the roads are, we're just not willing to pay the excursion cost and we would prefer to be on our own schedule.

It works out at less than half the cost of the excursion (for both!).

We're 33 and 28 and it's our anniversary/my birthday while we're away so we want to spend some time alone just exploring and enjoying each others company.

RE BARCELONA

We're there for 2 days 2 nights after disembarking so we've got lots of fun things organised there too, HOHO and some tickets pre purchased (as well as the FIBA basketball world cup semi final).

YAY ColoCruiser!

I'm going to write a review of some sort afterwards, hopefully give some insight to other inexperienced cruisers :)

These boards are great but there's so much information to take in, it can be overwhelming. As soon as I get one thing resolved I find another question.

I've been writing lists of things to ask and research from currency (which to pay with), ATMs, transfers, activities, fitness on board, cabin location, menus etc.

I've exhausted myself so much I'll now need this break :P

YAY ColoCruiser!

I'm going to write a review of some sort afterwards, hopefully give some insight to other inexperienced cruisers :)

These boards are great but there's so much information to take in, it can be overwhelming. As soon as I get one thing resolved I find another question.

I've been writing lists of things to ask and research from currency (which to pay with), ATMs, transfers, activities, fitness on board, cabin location, menus etc.

I've exhausted myself so much I'll now need this break :P

I agree it can be overwhelming, but its a good hurt, right?

Oi Oi Oi Aussie Aussie Aussie! :D

Hi Aussie@sea,

We did the same cruise last year with pre and post days totaling 30 glorious days in Europe. On the cruise we used the Princess tours and were happy. It was our first time in Europe and we did the pre and post touring on our own. Everything was pre booked..thank goodness for the internet. Sounds like you have a lot covered.

Three little things come to mind.

In Rome, don't shop before the Vatican tour, they make you leave purchases at the entrance and that is not where you end up..you lose a lot of time backtracking.

In Barcelona, if you are going to Sagrada Familia, and you should, pre arrange your visit time. The wait line can be up to 2 hours if not pre booked.

Also in Barcelona, the best kept secret is Tibidabo. On the HOHO it is on the blue line (north). You take a 100 year old Tramvia Blau up half way then an equally old funicular to the highest point in Barcelona. Great photo op. ( Don't remember the exact charge but something around 6 Euros. We are older then you so we actually asked and got senior rates!) On top is a church that you can climb even higher, a very old amusement park and ice cream :) We absolutely loved Barcelona, so friendly and great night life. We were lucky to be there four days.

Have a great adventure!!

I do love it, you got me hehe!

I can't find too many negative comments, just nitpicking things, about this cruise so I'm hopeful we're onto a winner.

The drinks package is going to be a dream. There wasn't a huge amount of info on it as I've gathered this is a new option for this ship.

Our cabin is in a disappointing spot though. Apparently it's an obstructed balcony? The photo I found from Renmars post looks out over the life boats... hmmm not ideal.

Our travel agent is useless though so it wouldnt surprise me :)

I do love it, you got me hehe!

I can't find too many negative comments, just nitpicking things, about this cruise so I'm hopeful we're onto a winner.

The drinks package is going to be a dream. There wasn't a huge amount of info on it as I've gathered this is a new option for this ship.

Our cabin is in a disappointing spot though. Apparently it's an obstructed balcony? The photo I found from Renmars post looks out over the life boats... hmmm not ideal.

Our travel agent is useless though so it wouldnt surprise me :)

If you are on Emerald deck the lifeboat is at floor level right?

Thanks BRANDEE for those tips!

We're also chalking up around 30 days travel, from Istanbul to Barcelona and Dubai. It's such a long way from Australia we really need to make the most of it.

Sagrada Familia is certainly on the list although my friend who is actually from Barcelona told us to see it but not bother going inside?

Didn't know about Tibidabo so that's certainly on the list now :)

Hi Aussie@Sea..again!!

If you are wine drinkers, you might like Vines on board ship.

It took a few cruises to find out about Vines. Vines Bar is usually Plaza Deck near the Piazza (Atrium) You can do wine flights or individual glasses of wine and also be served tapas (not sure if sushi is always served). If you purchase a bottle of wine you can leave it at Vines and return when ever. There is usually music or "something" going on in the Piazza for entertainment.

Also during the cruise, at Vines, there is a Stammtisch. An informal gathering. The wine steward at Vines will give a wine tasting (whites, reds, or champagne) and a "lesson" or "talk" about the wines involved. Tapas is served, but with champagne it is Godiva chocolates!! Only 10/12 people at a time and only 3 or 4 times during the cruise. You sign up at the Vines for any one you are interested in. Remember limited seating. Cost abt $20pp.

It took a few cruises before we found out about Vines and now after a dozen Princess cruises, we can be found there frequently. We did three Stammtisch on our Grand Med Cruise :)

Sagrada Familia is certainly on the list although my friend who is actually from Barcelona told us to see it but not bother going inside?

Bad advice.

a) Go inside

b) Pay for the guided tour in English

c) Pay for going up into one of the towers

BRANDEE

I saw Vines, that sounds very much like our kind of place.

I did see that the canapés/sushi there are inclusive with the purchase of a drink... For those of us who purchased the all inclusive drinks package, where does that leave us I wonder?

Haha can't trust the locals then huh!

We'll go inside, thanks for the advice!

I have to agree with caribill. The interior of La Sagrada Familia is something to see. We didn't pre arrange our visit, so we spent about an hour on line.

One day it will be the biggest church in the world. After seeing St Peter's in Rome what a difference.

Edited by BRANDEE

Hi Aussie@Sea

Don't you just love all the helpful hints/tips that everyone gives you on cc.

While your itinerary will indicate which ports are tender/berth this may change depending on the ship arrival time. Also some ports are commercial ports and you are not allowed to walk on the port area, hence the port will provide a bus/shuttle service to the port entry, this service will be free. In Mykonos our ship was to go into the port but we ended up tendering in, which worked in our favour because you arrive right in the town, whereas the port is about 2 km out, and as there is no footpath, you should take the shuttle service (a few euros), so while you may plan well, it could all change in an instant!

Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is a MUST DO, both inside and outside. In Barcelona I found a tour company that picked us up from the port with our luggage, did a 4 hour tour and then dropped us at the hotel with our luggage, so a great service and would definitely recommend it. The tour gave you your city bearings, plus ticked a few of the must see sights, and also allowed us to get good info from the tour leader about what we must see/do while in Barcelona, and it wasn't much more expensive than a taxi, and as you are off the boat very early in the morning, it fills in your first morning with your luggage. Get your tickets for Sagrada online before you leave home, the queue was miles long the day we went, it is beyond awesome inside.

We just took euros and found that everywhere accepted them, or you can use a local ATM when you get off the ship.

Keep asking anything, as someone will have the answer, and it all helps with the planning!

travel safe

Pat