Trans-A-what? The North Atlantic Who?

CruisingBuppie

Hello!

I have googled, Wikied, and Binged search Transatlantic and gotten several different answers. Generally, the answers have mentioned crossing the Atlantic Ocean. I even defined each word Tran(s) meaning to cross or go beyond and well Atlantic Ocean... the Ocean. Based on this definition, Transatlantic would mean to cross or go beyond the Atlantic Ocean. And I am okay with this, However, several responses have included traveling the Atlantic Ocean. :eek:

The question that I am trying to answer is "will I have to worry about choppy water on the Atlantic during December traveling from NY to Bahamas." I have read on several forums that the waters are rough during that time of the year. And I have also read that North Atlantic cruises have rough waters in (courtesy of the Cruise Critic FB post).

I am not new to cruising but this is my first time traveling in December and in changing climates (cold to warm). If you have traveled this route and within this time period, please share your experience.

Thanks

The Atlantic Ocean is Always choppy/rough. No matter when or where on her you go. She's like that. Your definition of choppy is the issue. DH is fine with 20and 30 degree rolls. Me, not so much

This does not qualify as a TA anyway. That is to and from Europe or Great Britain. I have done the Chesapeake bay run to Bahamas and Bermuda and have had rough seas in May and September. The east coast has lots of stuff to make the waters 'fun'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by spookwife

Can be choppy at times. With today's stability systems on ships, it is more comfortable and not a big deal.

Don't think about it much. Take some gravol just in case, and have fun.

Traveling from NY to the Bahamas in December will be cold until you reach the Bahamas. For warmer climates, the Caribbean Islands would be better. It would be a few cold days onboard. Air to Florida or San Juan would put you in a warmer climate immediately. And some cruises out of San Juan will be reduced at that time of year. You will find early December a time when many seniors are cruising. Prices go up for Holiday cruises and then there are a lot of children on the shorter cruises.

Can be choppy at times. With today's stability systems on ships, it is more comfortable and not a big deal.

Don't think about it much. Take some gravol just in case, and have fun.

Stabilisers only limit rolling motion (side to side is the best to describe it), not pitch (where the ship is essentially porpoising but not (hopefully) going under water).

post-processing-tech-eng_clip_image001.gif

I have done that route 5 times in Nov. and Dec. on Explorer of the Seas and like most cruises it is a mix. I do get seasick, I do not take meds nor use anything and I never remember it ever being so bad on Explorer that I had to lie down (which is what I usually do when I get seasick). If it is necessary the captain will use the stabilizers during the day and make up time at night when they lift the stabilizers (or so I've heard).

I can tell you every time I got seasick. The first was crossing the Gulf of Alaska on what would be a smaller ship. 3 times leaving LA or San Diego for Hawaii or the Mexican Riviera (I believe you cross one of those large ocean streams) and once going between Norway and Denmark.

I did a trans-atlantic from Tampa to England last May on Brilliance of the Seas and the captain was able to avoid 2 storms by shortening our day in Boston so that he could beat the first storm and going south of the second storm (since we were now ahead of schedule). The exact details and sea charts were shown to us on the cruise network in our cabins. One of the smoothest cruises ever, thanks to the captain.

The temperature will be chilly in NY and significantly warmer the first afternoon as you pass North Carolina. Personally, I would prefer those chilly days at sea on a ship to taking a flight south to catch the ship.

A fair bit of mis-information on this thread so far. While there can be anything from a light chop (1 to 2 foot waves) to 30+ foot seas, there are also times when the Atlantic is flat calm. Also, sailing south from New York there is very good chance that you will be in the Gulf Stream's 70 degree water by early afternoon of your first day out. If the winds are from the south , that could be a great, balmy, sunny smooth-sailing afternoon. Of course, if an early winter storm is chasing you south, it will be very different.

The best prediction: It depends.

Have to agree with Navybankertacher. Having spent far more then 3 years on cruise ships (as a passenger) including a substantial amount of time in the Atlantic (and every other ocean) the sea conditions are totally unpredictable. It can be anywhere from glassy seas to gale force winds and 30 + foot seas. On all of our cruises involving the Atlantic (and we are talking more then 50) we have only had two bad situations in that ocean. One related issue is that when you do that route you will have to cross the Gulf Stream...which always involves some ship movement.

Had to smile at the post from the person who gets seasick but takes no meds. Not to question that level of wisdom, but DW and I find it beneficial to not get seasick :). Sometimes, this means being somewhat proactive and taking meds before you get sick. The drug of choice for many (including most cruise line physicans) is Meclizine Hcl which is available over-the-counter in the USA under the brand names Bonine or Dramamine Non Drowsy (this is not the same as basic Dramamine).

Hank

We have also sailed many, many times out of NY/NJ in the winter to the Caribbean and/or Bahamas. Sometimes it's as smooth as a mill pond, sometimes it was a bumpy ride. Yes, it's warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, but the condition of the sea is not as connected to the season as is the temperature. (and even as someone above stated it can be in the 70's your first full day out). I have sailed in July when the sea was rougher then when sailing in February. Just because it's winter, it doesn't mean it will be rough and conversely, just because it's summer, it doesn't mean it will be smooth.

Well it is the messy time of years for waves so yes you are likely to get some movement but you also are not doing a transatlantic crossing you are heading down it so not as bad

All depends what storms are around

North Atlantic can be very unforgiving that time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Forums