What is the latest on Float Out

Is it tomorrow Aug 12th at 10 EST?

Not exactly sure, but on youtube where it is supposed to be live, there is a countdown clock just under 13 hours which would put us at 10am EST.

I know that Meyer Werft could easily change this, but just letting you know what i know!

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Float out of Quantum of the Seas

Expected Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, approx. 06:00 am

Based on the current wind conditions the float out of the Quantum of the Seas is going to be Wednesday, August 13, 2014 at 06:00 am. As soon as we can give more detailed information, we are going to publish them here.

Learn more about Quantum of the Seas.

I'm not clear on the issue with the weather. Forecast called for winds up to 9 MPH.

Are they worried the ship might blow away or tip over (being sarcastic)? How is this any different than any other time when the ship leaves port or hits rough seas?

Once it's out of the shed, there's bound to be worse weather at some point.

I'm not clear on the issue with the weather. Forecast called for winds up to 9 MPH.

Are they worried the ship might blow away or tip over (being sarcastic)? How is this any different than any other time when the ship leaves port or hits rough seas?

Winds are at 16mph gusting to 20mph. My guess is that aren't so much worried about Quantum as they are with the Anthem block coming out ahead of it. The wind should start dying down by the hour. It makes sense to delay it a few hours to have much calmer winds. It's a delicate process moving a 167,000 ton ship out of a building.

The ship is in a very narrow channel within the shed. There are only a few feet on either side of her, fewer than any other ship ever built there. She does not have any power of her own right now so as they bring her out they have to rely entirely on the tug boats to ensure she doesn't slam the sides and get damaged (her engines are functional and smoke will be flowing from the temporary stacks but this is for emergencies and electric reasons, the power of her engines is to great for such a confined space). This is why the process takes hours to move her the full length out of the building. If they have her partially out and the winds pick up the could catch the exposed portion and send her into the sides. You also have to consider the number of obstacles just below her. The Anthem block and Quantum are not sitting on the floor, they have stands to hold them and those stands curve with the shape of the keel. They are now floating but if she is mostly out and gets turned by the wind they risk the azipods making contact with one of Anthem's stands and then they will have to undo all this work to get her back into dry dock for repairs. The days they wait for better weather would be significantly less than the weeks they could end up delayed if something goes wrong, especially if they need to go back into dry dock and delay the next NCL build and Anthem. There is a lot more involved in getting a ship out than is normally involved with docking a ship.

Edited by DEIx15x8

How is this any different than any other time when the ship leaves port or hits rough seas?

Moving these massive mega-blocks, and then the Quantum of the Seas, into the confines of the lagoon pond outside of the builders shed strictly by tug power is much more trickier than navigating a ship under its own power out of a port. They are basically giant wind sails subject to any gusts, and sliding these ships out completely from the shed so that the sides don't scrape the drydock walls is a very slow and tedious process.

Here's an overview of the shipyard and the lagoon outside of the main builders hall...

14897245082_0d17f46ef0.jpg

You don't have to worry people. I bet it will float just fine.

And I know a man who could buff out that giant scuff/scratch on the side of the hull if it scrapes the dry dock walls lol..

But as others have pointed out.

Imagine if you were sat in your brand new car and had to be towed out between two brick walls a few inches clearance of your mirrors, but you have no steering, brakes or accelerator.