Quick Review of 8/3 Breakaway

neptune18

Overall we enjoyed the cruise. Breakaway is a beautiful ship but the experience definitely has some flaws.

EMBARKATION

Got to pier by 9:30 and got no. 6. Process was disorganized with people who arrived after us pushing forward and past us once numbers were being called. The NCL reps didn't know what number was being called and were very confused. We've sailed RCCL Oasis/Allure three times and Breakaway's boarding process left us concerned about the rest of the cruise.

GRADE: C-

STATEROOM

We were in 12906 (the Gambee cabin), an aft facing balcony. The extra large balcony was awesome and the cabin compared favorably to others we've stayed in. On Saturday morning, though, after leaving Bermuda, balcony was covered with soot. Also, television channels are awful, far fewer options than RCCL or Princess. Bathroom was fine, with more room in shower than RCCL.

GRADE: A+ for balcony C- for tv

DINING

Specialty dinners were at:

Cucina- Ate here first night. Food was mediocre at best, but it was great sitting outside eating on the Waterfront. Unfortunately, the setting couldn't make up for the food. GRADE: C-

Cagney's- Food was good but steaks and all sides came out only warm, and restaurant was not that crowded. GRADE: B-

Le Bistro- Loved it, best meal of the week, although wife got the upcharge lobster and it was just ok (she broke my cardinal rule of avoiding cruise ship lobster). GRADE A

Raw Bar- We sat at the Raw Bar and had dinner one night. We had ceviche, oysters, chilled lobster and imported ham. Outstanding. GRADE: A+

Two dinners were at Manhattan. Food was just ok, as expected, but service was terrible. No conversation with waiters at all. They really seemed to be stressed and over worked there. It always took at least 10-15 minutes to get a soda and by the time it arrived most of the ice had melted. On the other hand, caesar salad was warm. Also, first waiter barely spoke english and second couldn't answer a simple question as to what kind of sauce came on a dish. He went back and checked and needless to say what he described as a brown au jus was a heavy white cream. Room is beautiful, though. GRADE: B for food and D for service.

Lunches were at buffet or O'Sheehan's. Buffet was fine for a buffet but I didn't like the set up. O'Sheehan's, although I know many people like this place I really don't understand why (although my wife and son said the wings were really good). To me, it was just cheap bar food, and every time we sat in a booth there were food crumbs on it. GRADE C- for me but B for wife and son.

ENTERTAINMENT

Jungle Fantasy- I know many people love this but we didn't. At all. Most of the acts were just okay. Those one or two that were really good went on far too long. There was nothing you couldn't see on America's Got Talent and the food was (as my wife described) what you would get at a cheap wedding. Also, you better walk in with a drink. From the time we were seated to when our drinks arrived was literally 40 minutes. Good thing I was already backed up with two glasses of wine. We considered this show a waste of time and money. GRADE D

Rock of Ages- Loved it. The talent was just as good as shows on RCCL but the show itself is better than Chicago or Hairspray. I'm 54 but am really a classic rock or 60s/70s guy. I knew of the show but never saw it or the movie. Best show we ever saw on a ship. GRADE A+

Burn the floor- Had no intention of seeing this but booked it after seeing them at Welcome Aboard Show. We loved it. The Ballroom Blitz finale is worth seeing alone. Oh, and the girls are smoking hot (the guys may be as well but I didn't notice). GRADE: A+

Comedy- Magician Martin Brock- Ugh. Just awful. Several people we spoke to said they fell asleep, as did we. I heard he was a last minute replacement for another act and I certainly hope so. I can't imagine NCL seeing this guy's act and thinking he'd be good for the ship. GRADE F

MISC

The ship is beautiful and clean. The pool deck is crowded, but no more so than other ships we've been on. Went up to H2o Spice and can't understand why anyone would want to be up there during the day. It's stark and barren with no shade at all other than a few umbrellas. You can't get a chair anywhere near the pool unless you get up at 7 and claim yours so the Breakaway is a chair hog's delight.

We liked the parties at night at Spice. It's great to be up there outside on a beautiful night, especially at sea. The bar should be bigger though as it could get tough to get a drink.

We loved the Waterfront. This was our favorite thing about the ship. It was nice during the day but to be able to hang at a bar outside at night was wonderful.

Kid and wife loved the slides and ropes course. They could get crowded but if you timed them right crowds were at a minimum.

I love NCL's wine policy. We're wine drinkers so for us the $15 per bottle corkage fee is a no brainer. I can buy outstanding bottles of wine at the store for between $15-$20. On the ship, $35 gets me gut rot.

We liked Bermuda. Did Horseshoe on Wed. but was so windy with sand blowing we could never really get comfortable. Thurs. it rained so we took ferry into Hamilton and had lunch. Fri. we did a waverunner tour from the Dockyard which was phenomenal.

Overall a great week. I have now been on two NCL cruises, four Princess, one Disney and four RCCL. IMO, NCL's service is not up to par with these other lines. It is just not as polished. We still had a great week and I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Breakaway again. Any question, ask away.

I would not book in advance although you can. Google KS Watersports Bermuda. There's a kiosk right near the ferry entrance where you can book it. There's multiple tours each day so no chance you'll be shut out. Wait until you see what the weather is and pick your day.