question about loyalty program - back to back sailings + NCL stuff in general

Cruise_me_Crazy

Hi all :).

We are booked on a 31 dayer around Sth America 2015. (& yes super excited :D). The cruise is sold as 2x repos cruises. Will we get credit for our first sailing to increase our "status" on the 2nd leg of the cruise? We booked it as 1x cruise if that makes a difference.

I believe the Sun is an older ship, but very similar to what we have experienced on the Sea Princess (ie pax numbers and size). Are we able to transfer any cruise credits from that cruise with Princess?

Any advice for 1st time NCL travellers? Anything difference we should look out for / experience / avoid???

BTW, we don't really give two hoots if we can or can't, just thought I would ask! Interested to hear what others think.

Here is link to NCL website for the Latitude Rewards - Points and Benefits description.

http://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards/rewards-points-and-benefits

It only takes 76 points to become Platinum on NCL (currently the highest level). Since you booked your 31 day cruise 9 months or more in advance you'll have 62 points at the end of the cruise. If you happen to be in a suite, 93 points and platinum baby :) for your next cruise.

I don't know about having the first leg credits applied since you've booked both legs as one cruise. Usually it takes a little while to have points applied to your Latitude account but this is something you can discuss with the Latitude representative on board ship.

Your Princess cruise credits will not apply to Norwegian (they are competitors not partners).

We did one Princess cruise, one Costa cruise and will be on #13 with NCL this October and #14 is booked for next October. The Sun should be perfect for doing the South America cruise - have a wonderful time.

:) thank you so much for the prompt response! not sure what you are doing "awake" at 1.02am;) but I am grateful for your answer.

I did read the loyalty info, but didn't know if my booking in advance and 1st cruise could elevate me to something more spesh than a noobie cruiser for the 2nd leg!!! :D Would be lovely to get more points for the 2nd leg for booking so far in advance but I am certain that is double dipping!

Not too worried. just thought I'd ask. Nothing can be bad with a cruise like this :D.

Also my bad re Prinny n NCL being competitors, I thought they were all carny brands. I will have to pay more attention and stop day dreaming about the cruise I reckon!!!

Cheers

:) thank you so much for the prompt response! not sure what you are doing "awake" at 1.02am;) but I am grateful for your answer.

I did read the loyalty info, but didn't know if my booking in advance and 1st cruise could elevate me to something more spesh than a noobie cruiser for the 2nd leg!!! :D Would be lovely to get more points for the 2nd leg for booking so far in advance but I am certain that is double dipping!

Not too worried. just thought I'd ask. Nothing can be bad with a cruise like this :D.

Also my bad re Prinny n NCL being competitors, I thought they were all carny brands. I will have to pay more attention and stop day dreaming about the cruise I reckon!!!

Cheers

I think the fact that you thought Norwegian was part of Carnival is one of the reasons they no longer wish to be called NCL (too close to CCL) and prefer it to be shortened to Norwegian if not saying Norwegian Cruise Line.

I would definitely talk to the Latitude Representative onboard the Sun. I think they will give you Latitude benefits on the second half even if the system does not update right away. :)

I think the fact that you thought Norwegian was part of Carnival is one of the reasons they no longer wish to be called NCL (too close to CCL) and prefer it to be shortened to Norwegian if not saying Norwegian Cruise Line.

I would definitely talk to the Latitude Representative onboard the Sun. I think they will give you Latitude benefits on the second half even if the system does not update right away. :)

Thanks heaps! I will check with them when on board! Really appreciate the responses! If it comes off it will be a bonus, as I figure a cruise will be a ripper!! :D

When you book on USA through a PCC the long cruise is automatically broken into two cruises with separate reservation numbers. We are taking a 19 day and then 10 day, same ship, same cabin, and I was informed after the 19 day I will become platinum and have that status for the 10 day cruise, will be happy for the free laundry bag etc

When you book on USA through a PCC the long cruise is automatically broken into two cruises with separate reservation numbers. We are taking a 19 day and then 10 day, same ship, same cabin, and I was informed after the 19 day I will become platinum and have that status for the 10 day cruise, will be happy for the free laundry bag etc

First, it is not automatic that the legs are booked separately when booking through a PCC - some cruises are sold as combined itineraries and some are not. Even if a combined itinerary can be booked, whether it would be cheaper to book as two separate cruises varies by itinerary, date, availability, etc. I'd be furious if a PCC "automatically" booked something else than I asked them to book - I'm very capable of making the comparisons myself and in some cases booking two separate cruises means money loss for the passenger.

Second, You will not get Platinum benefits automatically because it will take at least overnight for the Latitudes level to update in HQ computer system (points are added to the system only after the cruise has been completed) and then to be updated to ship's computers. We did almost the same in 2013 when we had cruises on Epic and Pearl one night apart and we still had to visit cruise consultant in order to get the Platinum perks for the second cruise.

Edited by Demonyte

We have done a number of back to backs. On one our level upgraded after the first part. As another poster said, the Latitudes person onboard is the person who can see that this immediately gets put in the system so you can have the benefits during the second part.

You also will get a new Latitudes envelope with your benefit coupons on the first day of the second part of the back to back.

We most recently had the b/b experience on our Panama Canal cruise and enjoyed a number of benefits and receptions.

Second, You will not get Platinum benefits automatically because it will take at least overnight for the Latitudes level to update in HQ computer system (points are added to the system only after the cruise has been completed) and then to be updated to ship's computers. We did almost the same in 2013 when we had cruises on Epic and Pearl one night apart and we still had to visit cruise consultant in order to get the Platinum perks for the second cruise.

As a first time cruiser on NCL the OP wouldn't be platinum even after the 31 day cruise anyway. I don't think these loyalty programs offer much anyway.

As a first time cruiser on NCL the OP wouldn't be platinum even after the 31 day cruise anyway. I don't think these loyalty programs offer much anyway.

Sure they would. 31 day cruise, booked 9 months in advance and in a Suite. Not saying they are in a Suite but if they are it could work out.

31 x 3 = 93

◦Earn 1 point for every cruise night.

◦Earn 1 additional point per night for reserving a Suite or in The Haven.*

◦Earn 1 additional point per night when booking nine months or more in advance.

◦Earn 1 additional point per night when booking a Latitudes Insider Offer.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

First, it is not automatic that the legs are booked separately when booking through a PCC - some cruises are sold as combined itineraries and some are not. Even if a combined itinerary can be booked, whether it would be cheaper to book as two separate cruises varies by itinerary, date, availability, etc. I'd be furious if a PCC "automatically" booked something else than I asked them to book - I'm very capable of making the comparisons myself and in some cases booking two separate cruises means money loss for the passenger.

Even though it is listed as one 29 day cruise on the website, I was told by PCC that it had to be booked with two reservation numbers, but I would get the same cabin for both cruises. In addition, I was allowed to use two cruise rewards as deposits, saving an additional $100. At the time booking the two as separate cruises cost me $40 more than the combined price, so I really saved a net of $60. I also had an additional 19 days until the final payment for the second leg was due, which put me into a later billing cycle on my credit card, so I had an extra 30 days to pay off my credit card. Time is money.

True, it is not automatic, but after checking in for the second leg, it is easy to accomplish with a friendly visit to said cruise consultant while purchasing a cruise reward for the next cruise.

Sure they would. 31 day cruise, booked 9 months in advance and in a Suite. Not saying they are in a Suite but if they are it could work out.

31 x 3 = 93

◦Earn 1 point for every cruise night.

◦Earn 1 additional point per night for reserving a Suite or in The Haven.*

◦Earn 1 additional point per night when booking nine months or more in advance.

◦Earn 1 additional point per night when booking a Latitudes Insider Offer.

But after the first leg they might have at best 45 points (3 points x 15 days) so the Platinum is still a way off - at best they would make Silver.

Edited by SteveH2508

Even though it is listed as one 29 day cruise on the website, I was told by PCC that it had to be booked with two reservation numbers, but I would get the same cabin for both cruises.

Your PCC has given you false information, we have booked B2Bs both as combined itineraries and separate cruises. When booking as combined itinerary, whole trip is booked under one reservation number showing as one cruise with turn-around port as a regular port of call. Also there is no need to check-in again during the cruise as the keycard given on embarkation day has immediately the actual disembarkation date (end of last leg) printed on it.

What comes to payment schedule etc, there are some valid points, but to me having money some weeks longer is lesser value than paying less for the whole package - the interest rates don't cover that by any means.

Edited by Demonyte

What comes to payment schedule etc, there are some valid points, but to me having money some weeks longer is lesser value than paying less for the whole package - the interest rates don't cover that by any means.

How about using two cruise rewards instead of one? I agree the time value of money these days is near zero, but with an extra month's salary to use for the final payment I can avoid paying credit card interest, which is considerably more than zero. Perhaps the one or two reservations numbers is a USA/Europe difference.