Discounts on excursions?

cruise4sun&fun

Hi all.

Any advice on where I can find coupons/discounts on shore excursions..... specifically train from Seward to Anchorage, fishing in Ketchikan, flight seeing in Juneau, car rental in Anchorage, Denali National Park bus, port restaurants/bars?

Doesn't hurt to try and save a buck = :).

Thanks!

There are 2 discount books.

Northern Lights is around $50 and Alaska Toursaver is about $100.

If you're travelling on land before/after a cruise you can utilize the books more than if you're only doing a RT cruise. You have to look closely at all the offerings to see if there are enough discounts to make the cost worthwhile. Some people save several hundred dollars, others barely break even.

The Alaska Railroad sometimes has specials ... watch the web site diligently.

For car rentals in Anc... book now! Many companies are offering early bird pricing if you book now for next summer. Enterprise at Int'l Blvd is $150 a week.But check all companies and check at downtown or airport locations as the price can be very different.

Hi all.

Any advice on where I can find coupons/discounts on shore excursions..... specifically train from Seward to Anchorage, fishing in Ketchikan, flight seeing in Juneau, car rental in Anchorage, Denali National Park bus, port restaurants/bars?

Doesn't hurt to try and save a buck = :).

Thanks!

Are you going this year? There is a secondary market for used books.

There are no flighseeing discount coupons this year out of Juneau. The shuttle buses at Denali are cheap enough.

If going next year, some vendors will have early discounts, some may require pay in full, plus sometimes groupon type offers.

I am a long time user of toursaver/northern lights coupon books, about 15 years. They have cut way back compared to what used to be offered. I really think, that they should go in the direction of a fix amount off rather than 2 for 1. $25 off a tour pp is still a great deal, if they can leave a coupon, rather than totally eliminate any coupons.

We received an email from Costco today, advertising their shore excursion branch called Shore Excursions Group LLC. (We purchased our upcoming cruise through Costco's Travel. agency.) Some of their prices look pretty good, and I've been trying to find out if anyone has heard of them or used them. Their email contained a discount code (COSTSHRX ) which appears to take off an average of 15-20% or so. There are some flightseeing options, and also options for multi-port excursions.

Thanks to all that replied.

Now I am wondering.... wait for the 2015 books to come out hoping they have coupons that I would use.... or book now so excursions aern't sold out/filled up.

Cruising in June 2015. How soon do people book Alaskan excursions?

I would hate to miss out :(.

There are few tours that need to booked so far in advance. Anan would be one.

Otherwise, early next year, will have a lot of availability with close to 100% of your first choice.

I, usually last minute book and always can find my tours of choice. Even had excellent luck this year with a Katami fly in bear tour with 2 overnights, booked less than 2 weeks ahead.

I think the most important- be sure you have given a "waiting period" once you have figured out your tour selection. Especially first timers- some more information will come along that is a better choice, or they change their mind. With booking ahead, you must be totally accepting of the booking contract and accepting of cancellation fees ( no whining, thinking you should have an "exception")

Quick question with the Alaska Railroad vouchers are you able to use them online/over the phone or do you have to show them when you reserve a ticket in person in Alaska? We are coming from Australia so a bit tricky if it is the later and we want to book in advance. Thanks.

Quick question with the Alaska Railroad vouchers are you able to use them online/over the phone or do you have to show them when you reserve a ticket in person in Alaska? We are coming from Australia so a bit tricky if it is the later and we want to book in advance. Thanks.

You have to book in advance. Calling them is preferable. I would use their email contact- not the online booking feature, as I don't recall there being an option to discount the fares. Forewarning- I have not seen any coupons for Anchorage/Whittier, Anchorage/Fairbanks, or Anchorage/Denali in the last few years. This year, the scenic train trips- Grandview, Anchorage Seward, and Denali Fairbanks were the offers. The Anchorage/Seward, which I used, was only good certain days (made my plans based on usage) I also used the Denali/Fairbanks, but took Park Connection Denali/Anchorage.

You have to book in advance. Calling them is preferable. I would use their email contact- not the online booking feature, as I don't recall there being an option to discount the fares. Forewarning- I have not seen any coupons for Anchorage/Whittier, Anchorage/Fairbanks, or Anchorage/Denali in the last few years. This year, the scenic train trips- Grandview, Anchorage Seward, and Denali Fairbanks were the offers. The Anchorage/Seward, which I used, was only good certain days (made my plans based on usage) I also used the Denali/Fairbanks, but took Park Connection Denali/Anchorage.

Thanks Budget Queen! We are looking at staying on in Seward for a few days after our cruise and leaving on the Monday back to Anchorage. So with luck we can use a voucher for that on Adventure Class next year. Kids want to do Gold Class on the way to Seward but I am hoping to save some money at least somewhere on this trip and I saw that the TourSaver book is now an app which means I can also avoid the $48 Fedex charge!

One other thing - I assume the process is the same for most other vendors who use these voucher books i.e. phone or email a booking prior to arriving in Alaska to be assured of a spot? Cheers.

Thanks Budget Queen! We are looking at staying on in Seward for a few days after our cruise and leaving on the Monday back to Anchorage. So with luck we can use a voucher for that on Adventure Class next year. Kids want to do Gold Class on the way to Seward but I am hoping to save some money at least somewhere on this trip and I saw that the TourSaver book is now an app which means I can also avoid the $48 Fedex charge!

One other thing - I assume the process is the same for most other vendors who use these voucher books i.e. phone or email a booking prior to arriving in Alaska to be assured of a spot? Cheers.

yes you always need to book and pay in advance with coupon offers. Also, specific with these coupons, just because you have one, doesn't mean it will be accepted. Some vendors will only accept a certain number of coupons, the railroad is one of those. At a certain point, they will tell you there aren't any coupon slots left. Every season, it seems this happens to someone, who wasn't aware. I suggest you make your reservations first, then buy the book. There are a few exceptions to this, also to be aware of.

We received an email from Costco today, advertising their shore excursion branch called Shore Excursions Group LLC. (We purchased our upcoming cruise through Costco's Travel. agency.) Some of their prices look pretty good, and I've been trying to find out if anyone has heard of them or used them. Their email contained a discount code (COSTSHRX ) which appears to take off an average of 15-20% or so. There are some flightseeing options, and also options for multi-port excursions.

Your post is interesting to me. We have 3 cruises currently booked with your TA (not supposed to mention travel agencies per Cruise Critic guidelines) and have never received an e-mail regarding the shore excursion branch. I will have to check into this.

• 4 weeks later...
Your post is interesting to me. We have 3 cruises currently booked with your TA (not supposed to mention travel agencies per Cruise Critic guidelines) and have never received an e-mail regarding the shore excursion branch. I will have to check into this.

ShoreExcursionsgroup has fairly poor reviews when I looked it up on line. I will be surprised that Costco really owns them. Looks like a red flag to me..

The tours saver books are usually available in November. You will be able to view the offers on the website before you purchase the book. We purchased the book in 2010 and saved over $1500 on our interior Alaska vacation and cruise. I have noticed the deals are not as good as they were in 2010. Also read the terms of each event, as some are only available certain times of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums