If I prepay gratuities do I need to tip more?

Katgoesonholiday

Hi, I'm from NZ and the tipping thing is a great mystery to me.

I prefer to prepay our gratuities and consider them as part of the base fare for the cruise. And I am aware that with drink and spa purchases there will be an auto gratuity added to the bill.

But other than that, is there an expectation that we should tip extra on top? I am not planning on eating at any of the speciality restaurants and if we did I know I would be expected to tip extra. I'm just wondering about the 'run of the mill' stuff like tipping our cabin steward and waiter etc.

I prefer to prepay our gratuities and consider them as part of the base fare for the cruise. And I am aware that with drink and spa purchases there will be an auto gratuity added to the bill.

But other than that, is there an expectation that we should tip extra on top? I am not planning on eating at any of the speciality restaurants and if we did I know I would be expected to tip extra. I'm just wondering about the 'run of the mill' stuff like tipping our cabin steward and waiter etc.

The gratuities that DCL suggests are acceptable as your total amount. There's no expectation that you will tip additionally (although some do).

The gratuities that DCL suggests are acceptable as your total amount. There's no expectation that you will tip additionally (although some do).

Agree with Shmoo. Although we do tip extra for those that we think go above and beyond their normal duties. Sometimes its the Cabin Attendant, sometimes the Server or Assistant Server. It just depends on how/what they do for us.

All of the above APART from room service.

The food and drinks shown on the menu are included unless it shows a charge, like sweets, pop or beer etc.

It is customary to tip a dollar for the service to the bell hop server.

If it is a large order then obviously more.

There is a "bill" they ask you to sign (to say you got it and agree for the chargeable items), and sometimes they don't bother.

If they do present you with a ticket to sign you can add a tip to it.

Otherwise, keep some $1 bills in your Stateroom if you wish to tip.

It is a long trip from the Bell Box to ANY stateroom, so it can take a little while after your food is prepared before they get to you especially if you are at the other end of the ship!

HTH's!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

As you noted in your first post, if you pre-pay your gratuities and use DCL transportation to get to the port,you are under NO obligation to tip more to anyone.

Many guests will tip more to the 4 main positions covered in the pre-pay, but there is no expectation that you will do so.

If you purchase any bar item or use any spa service, there is an automatic gratuity added--again, you may choose to add more, but the automatic amount is sufficient.

If you do not use DCL transportation, you should tip the porters at the terminal. They do not work for DCL, and their primary income is tips. A typical amount it $1-$2 per bag.

As noted, if you order room service, it is customary to give a tip to the person who delivers it. I've read what I consider to be crazy amounts on the internet. As the above post indicated, $1-2 for a small order, a bit more for a large order would be the norm.

SO, the only extra tips you need to think about are porters at the terminal and the person who delivers your room service IF you use these individuals. Anything else is joyfully accepted, but not expected.

That is super helpful! Thank you!

I'll remember to have a stack of $1 for porters and room service and I won't worry about the rest.

We'll be coming from Universal Studios so won't be using DCL transportation.

You might find it easier to have a $5 or $10 bill ready for the porters (depending on how many of you there are/how much luggage you have) rather they trying to grab a stack of $1s. But $1s spend just as well.

If you are using a private limo/towncar service, a tip of 20% of the cost of the service is expected. If round tip, you should tip 10% of the total cost to each driver; you probably will not have the same driver for the two trips. This is SOMETIMES included in your contract with the company--read the fine print.

Hmmm...good point!

We'll have 3-4 cabin bag sized cases and one larger suitcase to 'check in' We'll be carrying on one or two cabin bag sized cases with our electronics and essentials. So how much should I tip?

I'm really appreciating this assistance. It's all foreign to me!

Also, (and excuse my ignorance) what service does a porter provide? On our last cruise we took our own bags right up to the check in area where they were then taken by the cruise ship staff.

Hmmm...good point!

We'll have 3-4 cabin bag sized cases and one larger suitcase to 'check in' We'll be carrying on one or two cabin bag sized cases with our electronics and essentials. So how much should I tip?

Also, (and excuse my ignorance) what service does a porter provide? On our last cruise we took our own bags right up to the check in area where they were then taken by the cruise ship staff.

The porter takes your bags from the car, makes sure that they have the proper ID on them, (cruise tags indicating cabin number), supplies tags if missing, and transports them to the correct cart to be loaded onto the ship. In the process. they are also screened for various things you are not allowed to bring onto the ship. No one REALLY knows how much screening there is now. We do know that bags are x-rayed (on my last cruise, there was a note in my suitcase that it had been opened and inspected after a "questionable" x-ray. That means they saw my alarm clock and needed to see what it was! We know that right after 9/11, all bags were "sniffed" by bomb detecting dogs. We also know that drug dogs are used when we arrive back in port. But I digress.....

For 3-4 small bags and one large bag, $5 is about right. Some people would argue for $6 (figuring $1 for each small bag and $2 for the larger one). We usually tip $5 for 2 large bags. We take our own small ones as carry ons.

On DCL, you get to dump your bags before you enter the terminal. No need to take them to check in.

Hmmm...good point!

I would say that don't feel obligated to tip the porters too much. They just take your bags and place them on a cart to be brought on to the ship. Sometimes, I just hand them over without giving a tip, especially if I can see the cart that they are placing them on. I haven't had any trouble getting my bags delivered to my cabin.

I am under the impression that these are pretty good union jobs that pay well.

The main tipping that I do is for room service, and a dollar or two per person is fine.

soccer

Whilst you do not gave to, I increased everyone's tips on my 12 night cruise a few weeks back, the service was excellent.

To summarize - the 'auto tip' is designed to automatically provide customary gratuities for average to good service. If you feel you received average to good service, no additional gratuity is expected, suggested or required.

If you feel you received well above average or exceptional service, it is customary to give additional gratuities.

There are 3 distinct duties that are not covered directly in the auto-tip. Room service, baggage delivery (port services is a different issue) and passenger services. Again, no tip is required for any of these, but it is customary to tip room service. If you happen to be in the room when bags are delivered, a small tip is customary, especially if you ask them to be put in specific locations.

It is not customary to tip passenger services in the course of normal duties. But if you have a very complex or out of the ordinary request, or one that is very time consuming, a small gratuity is appropriate.