Early vs late seating on Reflection

poeticlicensed

I'm sure this topic has been talked to death, but since this is our first cruise on Celebrity, I thought I would turn to the veterans for advice.

This is our 4th cruise. We have sailed on Norwegian, RCCL, and Carnival.

Our first cruise 30+ years ago we chose late seating, which was ok, but I found that I was so hungry by 8, I started snacking earlier and didn't fully enjoy the meals. Fast forward 20 years and we chose early seating for our next cruise , because 1) our earlier experience and 2) we had our kids with us, age 6 and 14. Our last cruise was a few years ago and the kids were with us, but by then, they were kind of on their own and showed up at dinner if the felt like it.On the cruise we booked for March 2015, we only have one kid with us and he's 17, so it's not like we have to make choices based on the kids.

On one hand, I like the early seating because I do get hungry and try not to do much snacking, but I mainly like to eat and then see a show, rather than see a show and then eat. When we sailed o RCCL and Carnival, the way it worked was that if you chose early seating, there was a show after dinner. If you chose late seating, you pretty much had to see the show (by show I mean the main show) and then eat. There really wasn't an option to see the show after you ate if you did late seating. The late shows were mainly comedians, etc.

So my question is, how does celebrity time their shows vs dinner times? Is it possible to do late seating and still see the main show after eating? As we are getting older, dh and I are more relaxed and like to have a few cocktails before dinner, plus we no longer have kids who will be up at dawn. So I am thinking about switching to late seating. I don't think it's the timing of meal that has me on the fence, it really boils down to the timing of the shows (I am a big show person and we also love eating in the MDR, buffets aren't really our style).

Edited by poeticlicensed

Celebrity's shows, for the most part, on most cruises are at 7:00 PM for people who have Late Seating and then 9:00 PM for people who have Early Seating.

So late seating go to the show before dinner and early seating goes after dinner.

Edited by CruisingChick

Celebrity's shows, for the most part, on most cruises are at 7:00 PM for people who have Late Seating and then 9:00 PM for people who have Early Seating.

So late seating go to the show before dinner and early seating goes after dinner.

The slight exception to this is on formal night, when the show for the late seating is scheduled for after dinner. And that makes it a really late night!

I'd go with Late Seating because we like to drink while enjoying the Caribbean sunsets. Early causes us to rush after a day in ports, miss the sunsets and the sailaways.

Taking Late gives the option of a small meal in the buffet, Bistro on 5, the show, or waiting for late dinner. Later you can choose dessert from the Bacio Café.

Penny

Select dining, I had no idea it existed on Celebcrity. I need to talk to dh but I bet he will want to go for it. We are not particularly fussy about having the same waitstaff (we've had a couple of duds, one who actually asked me if I was the grandmother of my own children! I really don't look that old! ) and we don't mind eating alone or with others. It's just that early feels too early and late is way way too late. I looked it up and it says you can make select dining reservations or walk in. We might give that a shot

Select dining, I had no idea it existed on Celebcrity. I need to talk to dh but I bet he will want to go for it. We are not particularly fussy about having the same waitstaff (we've had a couple of duds, one who actually asked me if I was the grandmother of my own children! I really don't look that old! ) and we don't mind eating alone or with others. It's just that early feels too early and late is way way too late. I looked it up and it says you can make select dining reservations or walk in. We might give that a shot

Just remember if you do select that you will need to prepay your gratuities. Also this category frequently sells out so I would not wait til you're on board, I have been denied before.

That kinda happened to my sister back on our last X cruise. The waiter thought I was the daughter and my sister was the mom! :eek: She's only 6 years older than me. She was so pissed. He didn't even really try to apologize.

Select I think would work well for your family... You still get to enjoy atmosphere & MDR Menu and have the flexibility to eat as your day plays out.

BTW, here are some tips on figuring the slate of shows on offer for your cruise week

1- The first show in the week is usually a sort of Preview of coming attractions... We quickly can figure out which one appeal to us

2- Check out the CC Roll Call Board... If you find a cruise before yours with the same Itinerary, you can ask some one there after they've sailed what the Shows were like and times etc (usually someone will come home with their Celebrity Today's so can fill in the blanks / answer Questions you may have)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!