Waterproof shoes for since 15 feet?

Cinderellie

My husband and I are heading to Alaska next summer, and I am ready that others have said their best tip was to invest in waterproof shoes. We will NOT be hiking or anything like that -- rather going on some sightseeing/whale watching tours.

Could you recommend waterproof shoes for us? We don't want to spend a fortune, as we may never use them again.

I am a size 10 Wide women's.

My husband is a size 15. He won't wear hiking boots. I hope that's NOT what the posters have been recommending.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Get comfortable walking shoes and spray them with waterproofing spray.

We did that with our sneakers (cross-trainers, what-have-you) and it worked fine. They were leather (not open mesh kind). I also sprayed my deck shoes in case I was wearing them in the rain on deck.

The spray worked fine for us. The only time we could have used hiking boots was last week when we hiked up Mount Roberts. But our regular walking shoes are just fine for most Alaskan activities.

I do know that BOGS shoe company sells a size 18 since I do have a pair which I wear for gardening. These are a loafer style rubber boot which were a gift so I do not where they were found.

Since I have such large feet, I do get a lot of my footwear in this way, since both of my friends get a kick out of finding footwear for me?

Look for me around town when you visit Skagway wearing my latest orange tennis shoes:rolleyes:!

I hope that this helps?

DD

As mentioned, waterproof spray works well most of the time so you may not need to purchase other shoes. The only time we could have used rubber boots on a whale watching tour was when we went with Harv and Marv last summer. It was rough and in the small boat the water was spilling over the bow and sides and onto the deck.

what activities do you have planned that call for waterproof shoes ?

I only take sneakers (sprayed) and a pair of comfy walking shoes ( Clarks) and a pair of Clark sandals in case I get a warm sunny day.

I DO own a pair of cheap rubber boots but they're only for the dog park ( I live in rainy seattle and the park gets very wet and muddy).

The water proof shoes suggestion is really just because it can rain a lot in Alaska. So just walking around town your feet could get wet crossing the streets or walking to and from the ship. So you do not need hiking boots or anything, but your feet may very well get wet.

My feet got wet when walking around Creek Street as there were really no covered walkways.

Get comfortable walking shoes and spray them with waterproofing spray.

We did that with our sneakers (cross-trainers, what-have-you) and it worked fine. They were leather (not open mesh kind). I also sprayed my deck shoes in case I was wearing them in the rain on deck.

The spray worked fine for us. The only time we could have used hiking boots was last week when we hiked up Mount Roberts. But our regular walking shoes are just fine for most Alaskan activities.

So when you say "waterproofing spray" do you mean the spray we usually use for protecting our shoes from wet, salt and dirt? Or is there another kind of spray I'm not seeing in the store?

People around here were recommending Camp Dry which you can get at Walmart. I couldn't find it at first so we bought some other kind. It's for waterproofing tents and such. We sprayed our shoes, jackets and backpacks. It was pretty rainy last year when we went and everything stayed dry. This year it was only rainy on glacier day, but my windbreaker still repelled water pretty well. Hmmm...now that I think about it, my hubby was complaining about wet feet. I don't think he waterproofed his shoes. My feet stayed dry. I used two coats of spray last year. I didn't do it this year, but they still stayed dry.

People around here were recommending Camp Dry which you can get at Walmart. I couldn't find it at first so we bought some other kind. It's for waterproofing tents and such. We sprayed our shoes, jackets and backpacks. It was pretty rainy last year when we went and everything stayed dry. This year it was only rainy on glacier day, but my windbreaker still repelled water pretty well. Hmmm...now that I think about it, my hubby was complaining about wet feet. I don't think he waterproofed his shoes. My feet stayed dry. I used two coats of spray last year. I didn't do it this year, but they still stayed dry.

I did see that at Walmart today. I will go back and pick some up. Thanks.

We had a couple of rainy days. We took two pair of athletic shoes .... the mesh kind and a leather pair - they would dry overnight if they got wet. Also no waterproof spray. No need to worry or go out and buy anything. I think people over-think things. You will be fine with a couple pair of walking shoes.

Normally I would agree, since it rains a lot in the spring and fall where I live, and prior to Alaska I never waterproofed anything.

However, athletic shoes tend to be a bit heavy (esp. size 15??? wow) so I don't like to take more than 1 pair myself. If it rains steadily all day your shoes may get wet (as my husband's did - he didn't wear the sprayed shoes from last year) and they may not dry in time (as my husband's didn't). I have many shoe options at home, but I don't want to bring the whole collection with me on a cruise.

For me it made sense to spend a couple of dollars and spray everything. We stayed dry and didn't have to cut our day short because we were soaked and chilled.

We just returned last Saturday from our Golden Princess (RT Seattle) cruise. I took the suggestion to sprayed our gym shoes with Camp Dry (found in the shoe department of Walmart)

It worked great...I use a wheel chair or scooter and my feet are exposed but they stayed dry in the rain. ...We had brief rain in Glacier Bay and misty rain in Ketechacan.

No need to buy special shoes.