Bugs!

sgutt86

Hi guys, this question is for VERY recent cruisers to Alaska, or people who have sailed in August/September. I leave in 2 weeks!! (WOO!)

How bad are the bugs and mosquitos? Any recommendations on types of bugspray or repellant to bring? Do those braclet things work?

Thanks!

Sydney

Hi guys, this question is for VERY recent cruisers to Alaska, or people who have sailed in August/September. I leave in 2 weeks!! (WOO!)

How bad are the bugs and mosquitos? Any recommendations on types of bugspray or repellant to bring? Do those braclet things work?

Thanks!

Sydney

We have sailed to Alaska many times. May/June/July/September.

Most recently I was there in June. We have never used bug spray yet in Alaska but we do bring a small bottle just in case. ;)

Thanks!

Sydney

We did an 9 day land tour followed by a 7 day cruise ending August 2nd. Never saw a bug or mosquito. Got back to Texas and suffered several mosquito bites.

Taku Glacier lodge out of Juneau was the only place we encountered mosquitos. We were on land for 5 days and I don't remember mosquitos in Denali. This was in June.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thats where I figured they would be for sure but nada.

Guess like anywhere depends on the time of year and wetness from rainfall. etc

We did not experience any biting bugs at all while on board. This was just a few days ago, end of July/beginning of August, and we were only in SE Alaska and stayed near the coast. But during the drive from Skagway to the Yukon, there were swarms of very large and aggressive mosquitoes all over us as soon as we stepped out of the car. Fortunately they were also kind of sluggish and easy to swat, so we only got a couple of bites, nothing too unpleasant.

Our cruise/land tour was the last half of July. No mosquitoes shipboard. Yes, for mosquitoes out in Denali (especially in the Quigley Cabin during the Kantishna Experience excursion). This excursion is not to be missed - highlight of the trip - so wear bug spray with DEET (not Skin So Soft and no, bracelets are a waste of $). We also had pants and shirts that had bug repellent in it. This worked really well for hiking in Juneau - top of Mt Roberts - others were bothered by mosquitoes, we weren't.

If it rains and then the sun comes out, there will be bugs. Be prepared and you will have a blast! One of the best trips I have ever been on! Absolutely amazing!

Thanks!

Sydney

Are you on a land/cruise tour?

We just returned on the Golden Princess last Saturday...We never saw a bug except for one fly in Skywalkers...took bug spray but it never left our cabin. No bugs were seen on any of ur tours either.

You should be fine.

Fruit flies!! Had a big issue with these at the P&E lounge on the Sapphire in March. All over the food. :mad:

We'll be hiking through rainforest, and will be bringing a little non-aerosol bottle of repellent as insurance. Can't hurt. Avon SSS and bracelets are, as have been stated, wastes of money, but actual test show that Repel lemon-eucalyptus works about as well as moderate-concentration DEET, and it won't melt plastic like DEET does. It has a distinct odor (which I love, as it's somewhat reminiscent of the soap Princess used to provide, but others don't), and is non-toxic. We just pour some of it from the big bottle into a smaller one we have and carry it along.

Edited by shepp

I am doing a land and Sea tour, 2 nights Fairbanks 2 nights Denali, 7 day southbound. TO be honest we aren't doing any hiking. land and shore excursions are the Chena Ice Museum in Fairbanks, and we upgraded to the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali - but I heard you don't get off the bus much except for photos and pitstops.

On the cruise portion we are doing the train in Skagway and in Juneau a mendenhall glacier/whale watch tour... Do the mosquitos hang out in port or only when you are out in the wilderness and hiking/ziplining?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

Rather than be surprised, we pick up some Off! Deep Woods Insect Repellent Wipes before we leave. They come in individual packets and easily stow away in a day pack, pockets or bag, as opposed to a bottle or can of bug spray. They have come in handy on many occasions, especially when we were not expecting to encounter bugs. They last quite a long time in their packets, so if we have leftovers, we just leave them in our luggage until the next time.

They are not the easiest to find. More likely to find them at a sports shop that carries camping gear, rather than CVS. And they are available online.

A few weeks ago, on my 7th Alaskan cruise, I got my first and only mosquito bite in Alaska. We carry bug spray and/or wipes, but never needed them before. We've never done an inland tour, just the standard ports.

This time we hiked to Yakutania Point and Smuggler's Cove in Skagway, and that's where I got bit. The mosquito was huge, and I killed it as soon as I saw it, but it still got me good. The bit swelled up, and I ended up scratching it open in my sleep. Over 3 weeks later, and that darn bite/scratch still isn't completely gone!

I got out the bug spray and used it after that, and didn't get any more bites. I don't think any of the rest of our group bothered to use it, but they didn't get bit. I was the only one - lucky me!

I have run into a lot of significant bug issues in Alaska, including the inside passage. Sorry, forget the "kid stuff", Deep Woods Deet or similar should be the first choice. I also get a lot of use out of bug hats. :)

Especially mainland Alaska, the mosquitoes can be brutal. I am back a few weeks from a month++ long trip. Lots of mosquitoes. :)

I do find my trips past mid August are essentially bug free.

Edited by Budget Queen

The reason I booked our Alaska cruisetour for September is to try and avoid mosquitoes :) If it decides to snow, I can deal with that. Mosquito swarms, not so much. I'll be bringing OFF! spray, but at least it's cold enough this late in the season that long pants and sleeves will be a given.

We have cruised to AK 9 times so far, 7 of them in September, with another coming right up.

We have not had ANY problems with bugs, and we've even gone hiking in the woods…

Have fun and may the bugs leave you alone! :D