QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Anyone sailing on the QE2 January 3, 2006? My brother and I just confirmed on the sailing. We are taking the 6-day Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to NY. It's actually the first segment of the World Cruise and Cunard has been offering some pretty good deals.

This will probably be my last time on QE2, and although I was not completely satisfied with my first experience on the ship, everything deserves a second chance. I really enjoyed the ship itself, my fellow passengers, and the atmosphere ... it was the food, service, and air conditioning that were the culprits.

This time we booked in Caronia Class which should offer a better experience. I just hope the air conditioning has been improved.

Ernie

I'll be there. I found the food and service in Caronia excellent in December '04. The A/C was not an issue given the temperature outside. You'll love a winter crossing.

Richard

Welcome Richard and Chris. I look forward to meeting you both. Looks like we are getting a nice little group together.

Ernie

ps - Richard, I sailed on QE2 in December 2002. It was quite hot onboard at times, especially in my cabin. I never thought I could be so hot on a mid-Winter North Atlantic crossing. Go figure.

Mien Herr Schmidt will be on board AGAIN??

It will be a pleasure to finally meet you.

After every winter crossing, you're finally letting your presence known!

;)

And, you owe me an explaination (along with a scotch in the Chart Room) on HOW you snatched my cabin last year! 1087.. ring any bells??

Hmmmm???

I look forward to meeting you, sir. And the other usual suspects involved in this pleasurable experience that only Cunard can offer in the winter months. A TRUE crossing on the only real liner in the world......

(She needs no introduction! .. everyone knows!)

;) :cool:

Mien Herr Schmidt will be on board AGAIN??

It will be a pleasure to finally meet you.

After every winter crossing, you're finally letting your presence known!

;)

And, you owe me an explaination (along with a scotch in the Chart Room) on HOW you snatched my cabin last year! 1087.. ring any bells??

Hmmmm???

I look forward to meeting you,sir. And the other usual suspects involved in this pleasurable experience that only Cunard can offer in the winter months. A TRUE crossing on the only real liner in the world......

(She needs no introduction! .. everyone knows!)

;) :cool:

Cruisinpup,

I look forward to meeting you as well. I did enjoy your cabin, 1087, very much, and I fully understand why you would feel entitled to a whiskey (or two) for having been displaced on the December '04 crossing. I tried to get the same cabin for the January '05 crossing but it was already taken. Did you manage to seize it for yourself? I am left with a Deck 2 double that will go half-used, I fear. Anyway, here's to one last dance with the girl I love, QE2. See you in the Chart Room!

Richard

I'll be on the crossing as well.

Looking forward to meeting you, Mr Schmidt! And the other devotees who are sailing on this grand lady!

(Rich ... I had cabin 1084, on the port side a few years ago ... LOVED IT! .. no wonder why Mr Pup was green with your occupancy of his coveted space! :-) )

;)

The compulsive part of me can't resist compiling a list of the CC members who have already indicated they're making the January crossing:

* BrianBoru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom

With September approaching, the crossing doesn't seem that far off any longer. I cant wait!

Yes, just a little over four months now !!

By the way, will anybody be like me and take note during QE2's "Canadian Crossing" next month of where she will be on certain days ??? Especially when she makes a transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton September 13-19 ???

QE2 sailing eastbound across the Atlantic....

Tom;)

I was also noticing that the old girl will be doing a new york transat. Add to that New England in the spring. It would be a great cruise, if only it cost less.

We have a name list, next we need a t-shirts and baseball caps. The Winter Crossing club is on.

Transatlantic Tom,

Thanks for putting the list together. Much appreciated! I look forward to meeting everyone in the Champagne Bar the first night. Maybe we will add even more names to the list before sailing? It won't be long now ... although it's hard to imagine Winter right now with the weather we have been having in Hotlanta.

Ernie

ps - is anyone else having problems posting to CC? It seems whenever I try to post a reply with a quote from a previous post, it locks up Internet Explorer. Frustrating. As long as I don't quote anything from a previous post I'm fine.

ps - is anyone else having problems posting to CC? It seems whenever I try to post a reply with a quote from a previous post, it locks up Internet Explorer. Frustrating. As long as I don't quote anything from a previous post I'm fine.

YES! I've tried three times to post on one of the topics and IE freezes and the whole post is lost.......I'll try again without the quote.....now this has got a quote....oh dear......but it worked....how odd.....

Count me in as well. This will be my sixth Cunard cruise, but my first Winter crossing. I've got an M3 guarantee.

Anyone have a countdown going yet?

Julia

Hi Julia and Welcome Aboard !!!

You're on "The List" now, too !!!

Last December's trip was my first QE2 winter crossing - it was great. The first day out was a little rough, but nothing to worry about. Actually, some of us nuts really enjoy a little of the rough weather - Right Richard ??? I think I remember a posting in the past from Jon indicating a fondness for high numbers on the Beaufort Scale !

Tom

Transatlantic Tom,

Thanks for putting the list together. Much appreciated! I look forward to meeting everyone in the Champagne Bar the first night. Maybe we will add even more names to the list before sailing? It won't be long now ... although it's hard to imagine Winter right now with the weather we have been having in Hotlanta.

Ernie

Ernie:

A very pleasant task. It's definitely my pleasure...I can hardly wait !!

I can identify with the difficulty in trying to imagine winter while we're still in August. While nothing like summers in the South, we in Minnesota have had 25 days of 90F+ temperatures this summer with high Dew Points too (we matched a local record of 80 per cent DP one day in July here).

The North Atlantic in January will be refreshing !!

Tom

Yes that first full day out last December was a little rough. The only time that I felt anywhere near ill was while dressing for dinner and once I got out of my cabin and walking (sometimes stumbling) around in larger spaces I was fine. The dining rooms were pretty empty that evening, though.

Yes that first full day out last December was a little rough. The only time that I felt anywhere near ill was while dressing for dinner and once I got out of my cabin and walking (sometimes stumbling) around in larger spaces I was fine. The dining rooms were pretty empty that evening, though.

Yes. My wife and I had the same experience with dinner the evening of the first full day out. We were in Mauretania Restaurant, at a six-person table, and the other two couples at our table were no-shows for dinner. We ate well, and then made it to The Yacht Club for a drink, too.

Tom

I was travelling Mauretania as well, but that night I was invited to eat in Caronia thanks to a new found friend. I'd say it was only 25% full and my friend and his family barely ate a thing. I managed to get through three courses though. Afterwards we had a great time in the swaying Queens Room having cocktails and watching people ballroom dance, etc. Then we went to the Yacht Club also and had a great time till almost 3am. I met quite a few fun people that night that I got together with nightly from then.

From the Beaufort Scale.....

Force: 10

Windspeed: 48-55 knots (55-63 mph)

Wave Height: 29-41 feet

Description: Storm

Effect Observed on the sea: Very high waves with overhanging crests; sea takes white appearance as foam is blown in very dense streaks; rolling is heavy and visibility is reduced

Effect observed on the ship: Much leaning and extending arms to balance while walking, passenger noses pressed against promenade windows in awe and Winter Crossing Addicts seen bobbing and weaving in the gift shop with large smiles on their faces.

Mind you, the copy of the Beaufort Scale that I've saved lists up to Force 12, but for me 10 will be plenty!

On my first transatlantic crossing, a very friendly waiter explained to me that it was necessary to drink three glasses of champagne to walk straight on the ship during heavy weather. I intend to test this theory many times until I have proof!

Julia

...a very friendly waiter explained to me that it was necessary to drink three glasses of champagne to walk straight on the ship during heavy weather.

Did the waiter mention the strange-but-true fact that this cure is more effective when the three glasses of champagne have been poured from a magnum rather than a standard bottle? I can only imagine the health benefits of a jeroboam.... perhaps we should all give it a try? ;)

We were the same. Myself and my mate were the only people at our table for six on the first night out. It was his first time on a big ship in open seas and he could not understand how all these people were feeling sick!

We went to the jugling show in the grand lounge, which we were looking forward to with all the movement, only to be found it had been cancelled.

Apparently 2/3 of passengers missed dinner that night overall and half the crew were missing. I was so disapointed it was the roughest day we had. I thought we were going to get a big storm on day four but it never happened, although we did pass through some heavy seas during the night.

January will be better.

I was so disapointed it was the roughest day we had. I thought we were going to get a big storm on day four but it never happened, although we did pass through some heavy seas during the night.

Jon & sfo-john:

It's fun to hear of your experiences on that first day out in December. Yes, I too was hoping for a 2nd round of rough weather, but it was not to be.

One other vivid memory that I have of that first day (when we were -according to the Noon Navigation announcement- south of Mizzen Head/Ireland) was looking out the windows of Mauretania Restaurant, starboard side, during lunch, and seeing three fishing boats bobbing up and down in the heavy seas. Two thoughts occured to me: (a) what must they be going through on board those little vessels, and (b) wondering what we must have looked like to those poor unfortunate sailors/fishermen...QE2 plowing through the North Atlantic must have been an awesome sight (and rather inviting one as well, poor lads !!!).

Tom

Archived