QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Ernie:

A very pleasant task. It's definitely my pleasure...I can hardly wait !!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you enjoyed putting it together. It's nice to have a reference and no doubt you will keep it up to date with new additions!

Thanks again.

Ernie

ps - in regards to rough seas .... isn't that one reason we book this crossing to begin with? On my December 2002 crossing our wish came true. Very rough seas for three days running. Water tight doors closed, pools drained, pipes leaking, windows shattered, dishes crashing. It was great fun! I haven't been seasick since I was a child, but the rough seas do make me sleepy. It still didn't top the REMBRANDT a few years earlier when we hit the tail end of a hurricane outside Bermuda. Talk about fun!

Ernie:

You are so right, it is fun !! I know many of our land-lubber friends can't begin to understand the thrill of crossing the North Atlantic("...doing what she was built to do...", as Ian McNaught stated last December !!), aboard QE2, in rough weather.

I mean this seriously - I think all of us winter crossing fans are a "unique breed" !!

I'm really looking forward to meeting you and the rest of "the club", i.e. those who are similarly afflicted" !!!

Tom

PS You can bet your life I'll update the list periodicaly !!!

necessary to drink three glasses of champagne to walk straight on the ship during heavy weather. I intend to test this theory many times until I have proof!

Julia

Julia:

To the extent that champagne is my favorite drink, I think you're my new best friend !!!

Tom;)

We'll just have to meet up then, won't we.

Any word on who the Master will be in January?

Julia

Julia:

We will indeed meet up !

Seems likely that most, if not all, of us who've been posting on this particular thread would be inclined to start the crossing off with a meeting for drinks in The Chart Room. My wife and I will be there (however she drinks only red wine, so you and I will have to share the champagne !!!).

Tom;)

Seems likely that most, if not all, of us who've been posting on this particular thread would be inclined to start the crossing off with a meeting for drinks in The Chart Room. My wife and I will be there (however she drinks only red wine, so you and I will have to share the champagne !!!).

Tom,

Earlier posts mention the Princess Grill/Champagne Bar on one deck - its a little known nook & one of the least changed on the ship.

Peter

Peter:

That would be a great meeting place...especially since I've never been in that hidden, almost secretive, little spot !!

I think that you may have corrected me previously on an earlier thread on the fact of the Princess Grill Champagne bar not being the exclusive preserve of Grill Restaurant passengers only...old habits die slowly, and I keep thinking that those of us in steerage wouldn't be allowed in !!

Tom

The Champagne Bar (or Princess Grill Bar) is open to ALL passengers. No need for anyone to feel left out. It's only open for a limited time each evening, but it's a true gem and the most original public room left on the entire ship (besides the indoor pool maybe). I'm looking forward to meeting everyone there the first night .... we will probably have the entire bar to ourselves as it's not very big.

We just have to pick a time. It's open from 7-9pm .... so I'm thinking anywhere from 7-7:30pm would be a good time???

Ernie

The nirvana of reclining in a Cunard teak deck chair, wrapped up cozily in a heavy steamer rug, sipping on hot boullion or tea served by the deck steward, surrounded by familiar faces, in the chilly air of the North Atlantic, was a tradition that lived on last December on QE2, and I'm sure will live on this January.

Okay, silly question time. Just what can one expect in terms of weather on a winter crossing? My friends are already joking about icebergs.

Julia

Don't worry, wrong time of year for icebergs : they happen when the ice is melting in the spring.

On the ocean it will be cool, about 5C/40F. It will probably dry most of the time although expect some spray getting thrown about. I would not expect it to be freezing while crossing the ocean but you wont be wearing shirst and t-shirt. The sea will be choppy, of course, between gently rolling and mountainous.

There will always be a breeze across the deck from a combination of theweather and the ship's passage, which will make it feel colder of course.

As we approach the Canadian coast it will start to get cold, possibly very cold. Last year the entire ship became coated in ice as we got into land.

So you will need comfortably warm clothes for going outdoors and it is worth taking a cheap cagoule or the like as you do not want your good clothes getting ruined by the sea water spray when outside on a choppy day.

Last year the entire ship became coated in ice as we got into land.

you do not want your good clothes getting ruined by the sea water spray when outside on a choppy day.

Wasn't that fun, 'ice skating' outside the Yacht Club?!

Outside on a choppy day, where I'll be as much as possible.

Last year, I got soaked to the bones while on Boat Deck forward, just outside the Queen's Grill. As QE2's bow met a large swell, the spray came completely up and over the Boat Deck. It was like standing beneath a waterfall, the spray was so heavy. When it was over, I could see the waiters in the Queen's Grill lined up at the windows, laughing hysterically. I was to. There was myself and another gentleman. We just laughed and said "well, this is what we came for"!

AHHH...good times!

kyle

Julia:

In my experience, it was much rougher on QE2 westbound in APRIL 2004 than it was during last December's crossing.

Like the first day out last December, the first day out of Southampton on the April crossing was the roughest day.....I think Force 10 or 11. At one point on this first day on the April trip, I was looking out one of the big windows, portside on Upper Deck, near the Theatre and the waves were crashing up against the windows in front of me !! Breathtaking !!! Then two days later, I believe, we got another dose - not as rough as the first day but plenty lively.

This was the time in April 2004 when QM2 was WB to NY, a couple of days ahead of us in QE2, leading up to the Queens meeting up in NY and the return "Tandem Crossing" back to Southampton. QM2 at one point during this weather, according to Ian McNaught who was in contact with Commodore Warwick, slowed down to something like 10 knots. QE2 also slowed down to the mid-teens too.

I'm no meteorologist, but I think we just don't know what we'll get in January. I sure wouldn't worry about it. In any event, QE2 handles it well, and you can always chase away the weather up in The Chart Room !!

Tom

Jon and Kyle-

I'm sure, like me, you've had the following experience in wild weather aboard QE2 too: standing up on the Sun Deck, aft of the funnel, out on open deck facing the stern and getting covered in spray and mist coming off of QE2's flanks. All the way up on Sun Deck. Your clothes having that salty crusty light coating on them....Amazing !!

Tom

Jon and Kyle,

Now, boys, you're gonna scare some of these nice people who are a) new to the Winter Crossing Club and b) not crazy like us.

One December night a few years ago I was lying in bed (cabin 3002, all the way forward), listening to the sea pounding the shell plating and generally enjoying the ride. Suddenly, I found myself on the floor amidst a shower of ice and very cold water (from the ice bucket), books, papers, and crap from the desktop.

Good times. Good times.

Chris

The second night out last December I was on the deck right behind the Yacht Club at about 1am chatting and got drenched suddenly while in my tuxedo. Really drenched and had to get the tuxedo dry cleaned the next morning. The water actually shrunk the sleeves of the tux a bit and when I got home I had to have them lengthened. So beware!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got the time off from my boss. I think she forgot that I'll be away on the QM2 for her trip 'round the Horn later that month too! Now I have to make the booking. I'm hoping to get a C-6 room (or guaranteed C-6 fare), but if one isn't available it will probably be an M-1 room. I should know more by this time tomorrow.

I'm throwing caution to the wind here, but one day the QE2 will be gone. As a hospice nurse, I've never had a patient that said, boy, I wish that I worked more when I was young. So, till that time, I can't wait for that first drink in the Champagne Bar with you all!

Calliope:

Any update ???? Are you booked ???

Tom

Definitely there is space. I have friends interested and they were quoted a C6 guarantee just today. I'm not sure if they will book or not.

Ernie

Archived