QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

DH and I are booked on our first ever QE2 crossing next April. Never been to London, never crossed the North Atlantic by ship, and never sailed on QE2! Looking forward to everything...and hope to meet many of you next April.

Transatl Tom: Please add us (John & Joanne) to the list for April '07!

Johnsy81:

Your wish is my command !!!

Please go to the thread Doug is talking about (QE2 Atlantic Crossings - 2 Jan and 21 Apr 2007) - that'll be the place to stay up-to-date with regard to the two crossings and who's going.

Tom

Jon:

It was great fun meeting up with you aboard the "Empire Builder" in St. Paul !! I only wish that I could have stayed aboard, so we could have continued our meetings of the "QE2 Winter Crossing Club-Breakfast Gang" !!!

Happy trails...

Tom;)

Breakfast was a lot of coffee provided by "Susan your longe car attendant". Not a patch on the QE2 options in terms of food or company, although most people were all right.

I got invited to play a word game called "Balderdash"with a group also going to Whitefish. I beat them all by a huge margin. It was British game which involved talking rubbish: I do not know how I was so good at it....

Back home in the soggy Pacific Northwest after a very long day flying cross-country. It's always so sad to head home after a great crossing. The baggage handlers broke my limited edition Transatlantic Crossing mug, so if anyone sees one on ebay, please let me know.

Transatlantic Jon, I will meet you on the Amtrak train in Salem Oregon on Wednesday. Too bad we couldn't time dinner, but at least we can have tea and a leisurely ride down the Willamette Valley.

See you all next year!

Julia

Never got to meet up with Julia, Amtrak were just not going to play ball on this, the west coast is notiously unreliable on schedules (although my train was on time until the second day). My fellow Amtrak passengers enjoyed the cakes.

Jon:

I believe that you're getting close to the time when you're flying back to the UK.

It was great having the chance to be a part, if rather small, of your cross-country trek aboard Amtrak.

Godspeed and have a good flight home !!!

Tom

Thanks Tom, it was good to see you. I was a bit sleepy on the train then, but then that was me every morning at breakfast on the ship.

I fly tomorrow. Myself and Kyle are about to head down to Queen Mary and hope to see Billy there too. Had a great day today, tell you more later (I have continued my practice of going the other side of "No Entrance" signs today, and a good friend has been doing a bit of blagging for us too).

Well everyone, I am in Heathrow airport at the moment and it is three hours until my next flight.

Had a great trip. It was good seeing Kyle and Billy yesterday down at the Queen Mary.

I have touched the Hollywood sign, been in lots of theatres and studios where I should not have been and now want to visit Brazil; things that just happen when you go to LA.

It is lunch time here and in LA it is 3am so I have no idea what day/time it is. It is llike the feelling you get when you get off a ship and the land is going up and down. I am going through that same strange sensory confussion caused by intercontinental travel. You just can't trust these senses.

I have to go back to work tomorrow, and I don't want to. So looks like a new job must be in order, I am sure our directorship will learn to live without me.

I have decided my next job should start with the letter "T" (I have done most of the rest of the alphabet). So this gives me train driver, travel agent, teacher, taxidermist, taxi driver, ten gallon hat designer. None of which I have done yet.

I will be home by 5pm and I will then get some sleep.

Just got my 1975 QE2 deckplans from ebay. I keep hearing voices chanting "one of us, one of us" in my head! Guess I'm doomed to sail the Oceans forever...

Julia

You have to watch those voices, and I know. You will come to accept the inevitable, just like the rest of us.

Last night I was standing at the base of the Queen Mary's third funnel. I will post the pictures of all this in the next couple of weeks. Today my camera decided it was not going to talk to one of my memory cards so I hope I have not lost a bunch of interior QM shots.

Yes, Julia, there is no going back now...

"one of us, one of us"

Ah, but so much more inclusive than 'one of them, one of them'

Peter

PS, for those interested in 'remnants of a 3 class layout', British Superliners of the Sixties', by Philip S Dawson, pub Conway Maritime Press, 1990, which discusses QE2, Canberra and Oriana (and is excellent!), has a GA plan on pages 107 - 109 showing distinctions they hadn't tidied up from the move to two classes. These are: 'Cabin/Tourists Deck' and First Class Deck' (now Funnel Bar) on Sports Deck, 'Tourist Deck', aft on Boat Deck, 'Tourist Entrance' in Britannia Restaurant, forward, 1st class lido, Quarter Deck, aft, 'Cabin Class Deck, One Deck, aft, as to cabins, 1st class one, two and three decks, midships, Cabin, one, two and three, aft, Tourist, two, three, forward and all of five deck, while four deck was designated cabin or tourist class. I knew I'd seen this, just couldn't remember 'where'.

Well everyone, I am in Heathrow airport at the moment and it is three hours until my next flight.

I have decided my next job should start with the letter "T" (I have done most of the rest of the alphabet). So this gives me train driver, travel agent, teacher, taxidermist, taxi driver, ten gallon hat designer. None of which I have done yet.

Don't forget travel writer! Then you will HAVE to take all of these cruises and trips to review them and write about them.

I would steer clear of Ten Gallon Hat designer. The Stetson Hat Factory used to be here in Danbury, CT USA. They used mercury in making the felt hats, way back when, and folks often chewed the felt to soften it. Of course the mercury was all over the place. Mercury poisoning causes you to go slowly crazy! Now you know the origin of the term, Mad Hatter!

Karie,

who actually bought a Stetson from the factory outlet, but is not crazy.. well, sort of

Don't forget travel writer! Then you will HAVE to take all of these cruises and trips to review them and write about them.

Good plan Karie. It has something I have looked into in the past but not quite got it together to break in to. Getting the start with these things is always the biggest problem. My mother does a bit of writng and has some links but none are with publications that I would want to write for or would want anything I said.

I was looking out for you on board the ship ubut do not think we actually met, or we did and I have mixed your name up, sorry. Did you come along to any of the CC meet ups?

Good plan Karie. It has something I have looked into in the past but not quite got it together to break in to. Getting the start with these things is always the biggest problem. My mother does a bit of writng and has some links but none are with publications that I would want to write for or would want anything I said.

I was looking out for you on board the ship ubut do not think we actually met, or we did and I have mixed your name up, sorry. Did you come along to any of the CC meet ups?

Jon,

I think I saw you waving as we passed you in the mid-Atlantic- oops, no. that was when the QE2 was on its way south after the crossing. must've been one of the other cc'ers I saw waving! You see, I was on the QM2! You were on the QE2! <G>

Some day! One of these days!

So write a review and send it in to something unsolicited! Maybe send it to one of the mags from a cruiseline- such as the Cunard World mag!

What's the worst that could happen? They ignore you? Maybe it's a foot in the door if they like your style, they may keep you in mind- or remember your name and invite you to dine with the Captain on your next cruise!

Kaire, Back home in the cold and snow.(wishing I was suffering and being tortured and held hostage at sea on the QM2)

Jon,

I think I saw you waving as we passed you in the mid-Atlantic- oops, no. that was when the QE2 was on its way south after the crossing. must've been one of the other cc'ers I saw waving! You see, I was on the QM2! You were on the QE2! <G>

Some day! One of these days!

So write a review and send it in to something unsolicited! Maybe send it to one of the mags from a cruiseline- such as the Cunard World mag!

What's the worst that could happen? They ignore you? Maybe it's a foot in the door if they like your style, they may keep you in mind- or remember your name and invite you to dine with the Captain on your next cruise!

Karie, Back home in the cold and snow.(wishing I was suffering and being tortured and held hostage at sea on the QM2)

Archived