QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Yea, I was post number #1000! I guess it's only fitting since I was also post number 1. ;)

ERnie

And I heyulped! (as they said on the Shake and Bake commerical of the 60's)

Mainly because the server screwed up and posted me twice and wouldn't let me edit!

Hey

I just got around to looking at that transatlantic style web site!

Did you notice the passeenger list for 11-7-57? Staff Captain WE Warwick (became captain in 1965, father to R Warwick- Captain of the QE2 and QM2)

And who probably wished right now that he weren't!

Cool site. Anyone know whose it is? Gotta be one of us!

Karie

• 2 weeks later...

Finaly got my pictures from the crossing uploaded to the web. Either follow them from the link on my signature or use the direct link http://website.lineone.net/~jonclair/usa_jan06/usa06b.htm.

I did not spend a lot of time on getting pics but there are a few there, also some of Queen Mary in Longbeach that have come out well.

Hello Jon

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Hotel Queen Mary.

Sorry to hear that you had problems with your room... I hope that at least you did enjoy the dinner in Sir Winston's. I feel that we do try to

give a good experiance. I do have to agree that it is not the same thing as being on a ship at sea. (at least the food looks good)

It was nice meeting you on the QE2 and then again on The QUEEN MARY

BTW here is Whitefish ?

All for now, Tom in Long Beach

Hi Tom, good to hear from you.

No problems with dinner or service at Sir Winstons (and the after dinner entertainment was great too, thanks!). The dining and bars are all fine, it is the hotel itself that is the weak link in the experience. (I will add some more to the website to differentiate).

The problems with the room were in some ways minor although fundimental, it is just the problem that you are paying a Holiday Inn prices for a Days Inn quality, which if I was not a ship fan would leave me with a less than perfect feelling (I have recommended the hotel to friends in the past and been embarassed by the things they told me on their return about the service they received).

The Queen Mary herself makes up for so much of this and as a hotel quest you get the run of the ship which is fantastic. I know that I will be back myself, my main issue is that I want the ship to make a profit and have a certain future. For that you need to ensure repeat and regular guests, not just us few ship nuts. (I am talking from the point of experience as I used to manage one of Scotland's top hotels).

Whitefish is in West Montana right beside Glacier National Park. It has a wide range of accomodations from bunk houses to very high class hotels. It is a real up and coming area it seems with a lot of development just starting to happen. Worth going if you are in the area, although I'd probably not go there specifically.

Hello Jon

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Hotel Queen Mary.

Sorry to hear that you had problems with your room... I hope that at least you did enjoy the dinner in Sir Winston's. I feel that we do try to

give a good experiance. I do have to agree that it is not the same thing as being on a ship at sea. (at least the food looks good)

It was nice meeting you on the QE2 and then again on The QUEEN MARY

BTW here is Whitefish ?

All for now, Tom in Long Beach

Since we are talking a bit about the Queen Mary and Sir Winston;s here allow me to enter my thoughts on the matter.

Sir Winston's was in my opinion over priced and trys to hard to put on a show but fails in the delivery. Had to ask for rolls and butter and got a stale piece (yes single slice) of bread. The entre was of fine quality but I was unimpressed with the show of bringing it out under cover and giving it a Voila at the table. $81.00 for dinner with tip and tax and one glass of wine is pricey even in NYC or LA.

Secondly, the restaurant has a single outside entrance (no way to enter the restaurant from inside the ship) so one has to get out onto the open deck and then climb up two flights of stairs. The eevning I was there also right after the QE2 docked, was very windy and not condusive for that type of journey in the simi dark.

Now as to the Queen Mary itself. I would agree the rooms are old but if they up grade the rooms than all is lost because that is just about all that is left of the old lady. Instead of simply taking over the ship as they got it, the owners decided to rip out all of the furnishings in the grand lounges and restaurants and retofit the enitre public areas so now none of the eateries are in original spaces. When one sees the wonderful public sopaces which one has to actually work at as many doors are closed to the public one finds empty spaces sceaming for furnishings to make them whole again.

The Promenade deck public spaces from the library to the children's room are now expensive shops. We are left to look at a small black and white phoito to get the feel of how things were on the ship when it was sailing. Attractive but not original. I feel if they had left the ship as original aspossible, it would really be a wonderful attraction and way more people would be willing to visit it and stay over. As it sits right now, it is an aging tacky tourist attraction much like Atlantic city used to be or any numbe of other cush things. Sad but the old maxim of "if it isn'ty broken don't try to fix it" sure is evident here.

Finally, if the management paid any attention to the operation they would realize that the front desk personnel needs a serious shake up. On my check in they could not find my reservation even though I had made it directly with the hotel. Front desk gal had to retreat to the back room and finally a very poorly dressed man emegered with the information. He completed the rest of the check in and intimated that he had given me an upgrade but since I had already booked a frist class romm and did not get a suite I assume he was blowing smoke to cove the original mistake.

On check out I finally, after waiting 5 minutes for someone to physically present themselves at the front desk, had to walk back into the rear office section and back three offices deep before I found a live body. He was surprised that no one was in attendance but did finally manage to scare someone up. Very unprofessional and shows a lack of awarness on the part of the owners just what is going on.

I would love to see this attraction continue as part of the Long Beach experience but under the present circumstances I fear the worst.

Since we are talking a bit about the Queen Mary and Sir Winston;s here allow me to enter my thoughts on the matter.

Sir Winston's was in my opinion over priced and trys to hard to put on a show but fails in the delivery. Had to ask for rolls and butter and got a stale piece (yes single slice) of bread. The entre was of fine quality but I was unimpressed with the show of bringing it out under cover and giving it a Voila at the table. $81.00 for dinner with tip and tax and one glass of wine is pricey even in NYC or LA.

Secondly, the restaurant has a single outside entrance (no way to enter the restaurant from inside the ship) so one has to get out onto the open deck and then climb up two flights of stairs. The eevning I was there also right after the QE2 docked, was very windy and not condusive for that type of journey in the simi dark.

Now as to the Queen Mary itself. I would agree the rooms are old but if they up grade the rooms than all is lost because that is just about all that is left of the old lady. Instead of simply taking over the ship as they got it, the owners decided to rip out all of the furnishings in the grand lounges and restaurants and retofit the enitre public areas so now none of the eateries are in original spaces. When one sees the wonderful public sopaces which one has to actually work at as many doors are closed to the public one finds empty spaces sceaming for furnishings to make them whole again.

The Promenade deck public spaces from the library to the children's room are now expensive shops. We are left to look at a small black and white phoito to get the feel of how things were on the ship when it was sailing. Attractive but not original. I feel if they had left the ship as original aspossible, it would really be a wonderful attraction and way more people would be willing to visit it and stay over. As it sits right now, it is an aging tacky tourist attraction much like Atlantic city used to be or any numbe of other cush things. Sad but the old maxim of "if it isn'ty broken don't try to fix it" sure is evident here.

Finally, if the management paid any attention to the operation they would realize that the front desk personnel needs a serious shake up. On my check in they could not find my reservation even though I had made it directly with the hotel. Front desk gal had to retreat to the back room and finally a very poorly dressed man emegered with the information. He completed the rest of the check in and intimated that he had given me an upgrade but since I had already booked a frist class romm and did not get a suite I assume he was blowing smoke to cove the original mistake.

On check out I finally, after waiting 5 minutes for someone to physically present themselves at the front desk, had to walk back into the rear office section and back three offices deep before I found a live body. He was surprised that no one was in attendance but did finally manage to scare someone up. Very unprofessional and shows a lack of awarness on the part of the owners just what is going on.

I would love to see this attraction continue as part of the Long Beach experience but under the present circumstances I fear the worst.

I didn't have any problems with Sir Winstons, yes it is a little on the expensive side, however you are sitting on the Queen Mary so no complaints there. You don't eat there every night!

I would never want the hotel to change the interiors of the bedrooms, that would be sacrilegious. However, I had a matress that had no srings on the left hand side and you only get one pillow. Also the wardrobes do not contain supplimental blankets for those that need them. All simple things to a hotelier. Cleanliness of the room and public areas was good, no problems there.

I would never want the hotel to change the interiors of the bedrooms, that would be sacrilegious. However, I had a matress that had no srings on the left hand side and you only get one pillow. Also the wardrobes do not contain supplimental blankets for those that need them. All simple things to a hotelier. Cleanliness of the room and public areas was good, no problems there.

Certainly would agree on your problems with the mattress and pillows. Fortunately I had a huge bed with three pillows and never made it to the left side of the bed to test the mattress. But it does go to the point I was making about general lack of attention by the owners. They may be bankrupt at the moment but there should be enough cash flow to take care of these items and then they can slowly get more of the market share.

Being right smack aside the Carnival line dock should provide them with huge numbers of potential guests who may or may not appreciate the finer points about staying on the Queen but it is worth exploring.

QM1 Is the glass half full or half empty ?:confused:

That has always sort of been the question. No the lounges are not used as they were when the ship was sailing, they can only make money for the ship if they can be rented out for weddings and functions etc. And dinning in the 1st class dinning room with our usual week day numbers would feel like eating in an aircraft hanger.

As for the Carnival Pier: The managment had hoped it would bring in a lot of guests. The truth about most of those cruisers is that they fly or drive in the day of the cruise, Then after the cruise they get right off the ship and go home.

We do get a few the night before, But not many.

Thanks Jon for your clarification. I wonder if I do not get too sensitive about my "old Queen" Even tonight She looked lovely as I walked out to my car after work.

Here we have an intact ocean liner from 1936, not a book full of pictures, or a few bits of furiture but the whole massive reality. It does not take a lot of imagination to almost see smoke rising from those 3 great funnels ( I know they are not the originals ).

I guess I wish it were more "perfect" But I really wonder if it were just how many additional guest would come ?

I have seen The Wrather Company and then Disney pour a lot of money into her, Then the RMS do the same. It always seems to drift back to the same fadded glory of the "tatty Mary".

But we are all glad she is still here to visit. Nothing else brings back the physical reality of the ocean liners of the 1930's as well.

BTW one thing I liked about the QE2 was the well worn feeling of it all.

The QE2 is now almost as old as the QUEEN MARY was the first time I saw her in 1975.

Tom in Long Beach.

• 3 weeks later...
Add me to the list of who will be on the crossing 21st. April...Elizabeth

:o

Elizabeth:

I gather that you mean you are booked for QE2 April 2007 crossing. In that case I will definitely update the list by adding you to it !!

(Don't forget that there is a seperate thread for this: "QE2 Atlantic crossings January and April 2007")

Tom

Jon,

What great photos and tales of your travels across this great land. It's a trip not many actual residents would care to do, but I would jump at if the opportunity presented itself! Although I think that I would want a sleeper.

Tom,

When my partner and I supped at Sir Winston's after our 2003 QE2 voyage through the Panama Canal, Sir Winston's was an absolute delight. The food was wonderful and we got another nights use out of our tuxes. When the fog enveloped the whole ship that evening it didn't take much imagination to dream about being on this great Cunarder as she was racing across the North Atlantic.

I hope your son enjoyed his crossing. You can be very proud of his behavior onboard and the fine job that you and your partner have done raising him.

• 5 months later...

I thought that it might be fun to look back a year and see what we were talking about last year at this time. Some of us were looking forward to the January 2006 crossing, space seemed to be unlimited, and the prices were falling to nearly unheard of levels. Well, what a difference a year makes!

Some of us were looking forward to the January 2006 crossing, space seemed to be unlimited, and the prices were falling to nearly unheard of levels. Well, what a difference a year makes!

I'll say it does!

Though actually, for the categories that are available, I'm not sure if prices now are so much higher than they were last July... The really, really low prices came a few months later. The difference is that then there was loads of space and prices kept falling, wheras now there is very little space so I should think prices will stay the same or perhaps even go up (?).

I say that the rates have gone up. Last year for the World Cruise airfares were included; now air must be purchased. Also the crossing fares seem to be holding their own. This has me wondering how Cunard can do it this year while world conditions and the price of filling up your car's gas tank are changing by the hour.

This all begs the question, is there more unsold space that Cunard London has not released, are travel agents on both sides of Cunard's pond still holding group space, or is Princess better at selling space on a ship than the "old" Cunard?

I'm confused. Carnival Corporation stock is taking a beating because their initial earnings projections for the coming quarter were too high, but with two ships making World Cruises space is at a premium and more costly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This all begs the question, is there more unsold space that Cunard London has not released, are travel agents on both sides of Cunard's pond still holding group space, or is Princess better at selling space on a ship than the "old" Cunard?

It seems to vary from year to year - last year we know about.....this year lets wait to see what happens 90 days from sailing.....in the past I've waited & got nowt....or got lucky!

Peter

I'm confused. Carnival Corporation stock is taking a beating because their initial earnings projections for the coming quarter were too high, but with two ships making World Cruises space is at a premium and more costly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the winter crossing in Jan, there is no group space being held.

Also, this is the start of the 25th World, so more people have been booking.

Both CCL and RCL (RCL more) have had their earnings estimates lowered. Two things: fuel.... and very soft Caribbean bookings for calendar 4q and 1q.

Please note RCL does not report by calendar quarter, but by fiscal quarter.

Princess is the leader IMHO of yield management. Now, if the powers that be would get smart and realize it is a world economy and give everyone WORLWIDE access to the same rates.. and inventory............it would simply the booking process for all and fill their ships sooner!

• 3 months later...

Last November 21st. the members of the Winter Crossing Club were already posting on pg 19 of this thread.

My major concern at that time was which room Confetti and I would be placed in for the trip. I was anxious that other folks were having their rooms assigned, and I had no idea about mine. Well, it all turned out okay for us as we were safely housed in room 1067, but I didn't find that out till December sometime. The ironic thing is, a year later I'm still anxious about which room I'll have when I leave on a Cunarder the next January . Maybe I really do need a life!;)

Calliope, it's very enjoyable to revisit the thread which was the focus of our attention a year ago. It makes us quite nostalgic to remember the 2006 Winter Crossing. Good times!

Am I crazy or did I see that you are crossing eastbound (on another line) in order to sail westbound on QE2 in April? We'd looked into doing something like that ourselves but didn't think any of the repositionings would be going that early in the Spring. If you are - that's a wonderful itinerary.;)

I'll be flying over to catch the QE2 in April, but I sure do like your suggestion better! I'm also sneaking away from work in January to ride the QM2 for her four night "crossing" to St. Thomas.

I agree that it is great fun looking back on last year's postings, and that's why I brought them forward.:)

Archived