Reflection or Silhouette?

Topo Gigio

Planning on taking a Celebrity cruise around Nov/Dec. Is there any significant difference between the 2? From their website I concluded that they have exact the same specialty restaurants. I think the newest one (Reflection?) has more cabins and of course more passengers.

Sailed on eclipse, silhouette and reflection each (in order, over the latest three years). And each one has been better than the last (but all three were great). The biggest difference between the last two is that we enjoyed the sunset bar on reflection the most. Silhouette and reflection are very similar other than that.

Never really noticed the increase in passengers.

We cruised in AQ twice on Silhouette...enjoyed it exceptt for the DJ and drum who were featured.on the second trip....

We are booked for Reflection this Nov..also AQ...had we known abt crowding issues in BLU due to AQ suites etc, we would not have booked AQ on Ref til after the suite dining goes into effect and AQ suites are re-classified non AQ if you do not book AQ, this is not an issue

on Silho there was a nice disco called Quasar with a great bar..not sure if it is still in use. On Ref that is now a conference center

Looking forward to sunset bar on Ref...hope it is a nice change...we liked it on Silho with the little lounge seating areas..

itin would be key, as Wallie mentioned

Have been to all the islands before. Have a slight preference for Silhouette because she sails out of Port Everglades and want to do a B2B, and the other ships i want to go with (Nieuw Amsterdam /Regal Princess) also sail out of P.E. Besides that P.E is closer to Boca. Since the Reflection is slightly newer, I thought I will ask. Thanks so far.

I was on Reflection last year but have not sailed on Silhouette. The ships are very similar as I have been researching the booking of a trip on Silhouette. Some people will tell you that Blu on the Reflection gets busy because of the extra passengers that are in Aqua, but that was not my experience when on a 15 day transatlantic. If you book Reflection, go with an open mind and being flexible with your dining time always helps. I will be on the Solstice in 2016 and looking forward to having Quasar on an 18 day voyage.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

I have been on several of the Celebrity ships and Reflection by far in my opinion is the best one. It is the newest in the fleet and everything still feels so new. We were on the Constellation last year and honestly it doesnt even compare. I know its a different class ship but still the attention to detail and the staff on Reflection was incredible its a floating palace. It was that amazing where literally when we got home this past March we booked Reflection again for this November. I have been spoiled by Reflection and it will take a lot to get me on another Celebrity ship after the amazing time on Reflection. Again as a fellow poster said you should also consider the ports of call each takes. Spending time in the countries are 50% of your trip. I however though highly recommend Reflection and think it will blow you away!

I have been on several of the Celebrity ships and Reflection by far in my opinion is the best one. It is the newest in the fleet and everything still feels so new. We were on the Constellation last year and honestly it doesnt even compare. I know its a different class ship but still the attention to detail and the staff on Reflection was incredible its a floating palace. It was that amazing where literally when we got home this past March we booked Reflection again for this November. I have been spoiled by Reflection and it will take a lot to get me on another Celebrity ship after the amazing time on Reflection. Again as a fellow poster said you should also consider the ports of call each takes. Spending time in the countries are 50% of your trip. I however though highly recommend Reflection and think it will blow you away!

I have been to all the island a couple of times before, so won't make any difference for me. I had the same experience back in 2010 when I took the Solstice in Jan. and the Summit to Bermuda in May. The Solstice experience(and food!) was so much better!

Many areas on the Reflection we're expanded as compared to the other ships. The bars are larger, more choices and areas in the Gym, and Persian Gardens.

If in AQ you will notice that Blu is the same size but more tables were added so it is more contested.

Either ship is nice and you won't be disappointed in either. I would base my decision on the itinerary and cost. If flying it would depend on the air fare and transporting from the air port. The airport is closer to Port Everglades and I think that airport isn't as conjested as Miami. I think it is around $15 for a cab compared to $30 to $35 in Miami.

Eastern Caribbean has better shopping, Western is better snorkeling and more party atmosphere.

If driving off site parking is better in Ft Lauderdale.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

If truly the itineraries don't matter I would go with Silhouette just because there will be fewer people.... she has all the same amenities that Reflection has and is a wonderful ship.....our cruise on her was the best we have ever had.....

Sailed Reflection and Silhouette. Both are excellent. Differences are very minor, but Reflection is slightly bigger with an extra deck of AquaClass cabins, though I did not notice any more crowding than on Silly. However, Blu was apparently not increased in size.

The extra deck on Reflection results imo in a better layout, with the Lido buffet on the pool level, instead of up stairs. You also can walk 360 degrees from stem to stern on one level above the pool. As a walker, and given the small promenade deck, I love that. Also, Sunset Bar is much improved, but observation lounge in front is smaller, as more suites have been squeezed in.

Net, choose by itinerary and port of embarkation/airport.

Edited by Seapoint

Sailed Reflection and Silhouette. Both are excellent. Differences are very minor, but Reflection is slightly bigger with an extra deck of AquaClass cabins, though I did not notice any more crowding than on Silly. However, Blu was apparently not increased in size.

The extra deck on Reflection results imo in a better layout, with the Lido buffet on the pool level, instead of up stairs. You also can walk 360 degrees from stem to stern on one level above the pool. As a walker, and given the small promenade deck, I love that. Also, Sunset Bar is much improved, but observation lounge in front is smaller, as more suites have been squeezed in.

Net, choose by itinerary and port of embarkation/airport.

Actually, Blu was increased in size, but some feel it was not enough. I did not have a problem with crowding on a 15 day transatlantic.

One other consideration. We sailed on Silhouette last year, and most recently on Reflection in February this year. On our Reflection cruise, we had the Miami DJs , and the volume of the music at the pool and in the lobby was deafening. Really unpleasant.

I do not know if that is now the norm fleet-wide, but it is, imo, a reason to avoid the Reflection - (unless it has since been changed). A great pity, as in every other respect it is a great vacation product.

The only rational/logical thing to do is sail BOTH and compare for yourself! :D

Both comments below are spot on, as are many other posters' comments earlier.

Reflection! The revamped Sunset Bar is wonderful! Moving that staircase was brilliant!

One other consideration. We sailed on Silhouette last year, and most recently on Reflection in February this year. On our Reflection cruise, we had the Miami DJs , and the volume of the music at the pool and in the lobby was deafening. Really unpleasant.

I do not know if that is now the norm fleet-wide, but it is, imo, a reason to avoid the Reflection - (unless it has since been changed). A great pity, as in every other respect it is a great vacation product.

Overall décor on Reflection is better, (some of the "artwork" on Silhouette is really atrocious) but loosing Quasar (the "Disco") to conference rooms, and very nearly HALF of the "Sky Lounge" to high end suites, is a MAJOR detractor for the Flex.

BOTH are still STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS ships, that offer the most incredible bang-for-the-buck vacation experiences I have ever enjoyed. :)

That's why I am returning, and have booked BOTH for future cruises! ;)

Edited by teecee60

The S-Class ships (Launched 2008 thru 2012) are very similar to one another in feel & style as well as Amenities (intentional). For the most part they have the same foot print ** and only a few changes were made to them to set one apart from the next.

Silhouette's biggest change was the addition of some Suites on the Lido Deck (Deck 14) in an area "borrowed" from the Sky Lounge.

The suites are in an area unto themselves and in 2 new categories... Signature Suites (5) and (1) Reflection Suite

So unless you are specifically looking to sale in either of the categories, I would say that one S-Class ship is as good as another

Personally then I'd base my choice on the Cruises Dates, Itinerary & Convenience for you (lol and of course cost)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

** For the record, don't let anyone lead you to believe that The Reflection is a vastly different / bigger ship. At 1047 feet she is a mere 14 feet longer than the rest of the S-Class ships that come in at 1033 feet.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The S-Class ships (Launched 2008 thru 2012) are very similar to one another in feel & style as well as Amenities (intentional). For the most part they have the same foot print ** and only a few changes were made to them to set one apart from the next.

Silhouette's biggest change was the addition of some Suites on the Lido Deck (Deck 14) in an area "borrowed" from the Sky Lounge.

The suites are in an area unto themselves and in 2 new categories... Signature Suites (5) and (1) Reflection Suite

So unless you are specifically looking to sale in either of the categories, I would say that one S-Class ship is as good as another

Personally then I'd base my choice on the Cruises Dates, Itinerary & Convenience for you (lol and of course cost)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

** For the record, don't let anyone lead you to believe that The Reflection is a vastly different / bigger ship. At 1047 feet she is a mere 14 feet longer than the rest of the S-Class ships that come in at 1033 feet.

no those deck and additional staterooms were on Reflection not Silhouette...

...enjoyed it exceptt for the DJ and drum who were featured.on the second trip.... on Silho there was a nice disco called Quasar with a great bar..not sure if it is still in use.
I couldn't believe it when the DJ started to play a drum machine to Staying Alive on the Silhouette. Quasar's still there. I liked the bigger Sky Lounge on the Silhouette, although my Wife preferred the Sky Lounge on the Reflection, also the clear glass on the balconies were a plus

Planning on taking a Celebrity cruise around Nov/Dec. Is there any significant difference between the 2? From their website I concluded that they have exact the same specialty restaurants. I think the newest one (Reflection?) has more cabins and of course more passengers.

My hierarchy of Celebrity Solstice Class ships

1. Eclipse - the newest of the original Solstice design, Qsine restaurant introduced

2. Equinox - second new of the original Solstice design

3. Solstice - original Solstice design

4. Silhouette - some more cabins added, Signature Solstice features removed or converted into $$ venues (Hot Glass Show, open grass lawn), paid cabanas took place of open grass lawn, more for fee restaurants added, fountain removed

5. Reflection - same as Selhouette to which semi-deck of cabins added, public space reduced (2/5 of Sky lounge sold to extra suites, dance club removed), views from front observation decks blocked by full height fence.

My solid favorite is the Eclipse.

The least desirable is the Reflection.

Cruisetrail,

I really like the way you have rated the S-Class ships. I generally agree with your assessment.

While I agree with the negatives you listed, in defense of Reflection, I prefer the extra deck, as it moved the OceanView cafe to the pool level and gave a 360 degree walk around the ship on the deck above the pool from stem to stern. On the other S-Class ships, you are faced with a lot of stairs, fore and aft, if you wish to walk a complete circuit. The Reflection also deserves credit for its improved Sunset bar.

Edited by Seapoint