HAL and Carnival similarities

spintowin

We've only been on one Carnival cruise and did not care for it. I know Carnival owns HAL and am wondering how much same/different the two lines are. Am also vegan and curious if I would find anything to eat. Thanks!

HAL certainly has vegan meals - no problem and lots of good choice in the Lido as well IMO.

You know cruise lines have more in common than contrasts, but what you won't find on HAL are the silly pool games, hairy chest contests, best legs, whatever the trend is these days.

HAL is more relaxed. There is stuff to do and entertainment but the whole thing is more low key.

You will find great places to read a book, or sit out, or listen to the waves, etc.

And you will find wonderful warm staff on board.

I don't know if this helps or if this is what you were looking for.

Tell us what you didn't like about Cardinal and we can help more ;)

As kazu says it would sure help if you were more specific about what you didn't like about Carnival. I've had about 2 Carnival cruises, 6 RCI, and 8 HAL. I just stepped off the Radiance and am boarding the Statendam tomorrow. It may not help without knowing more of your tastes but I would place RCI roughly midway between Carnival and HAL.

Roy

The things we did not care for on Carnival could have very much been because of the ship (Inspiration) and the departure port (LA). Didn't care for food (including eating area) and the ship was crowded with a party crowd atmosphere. I am not judging every Carnival cruise on one experience, but since we are looking to leave out of So Cal again, want to do something different. We are 50+, would like a more laid back atmosphere with less people and kids, good food, and a great gym. We are looking at the Holiday Mex 7 night. Thanks for the comments. (Our last RCI experience wasn't so great either, so no longer loyal to royal. A shame we have to start all over with the whole point, past cruiser program on another line)

We have sailed HAL but not Carnival. Some friends that have sailed Carnival have loved it, other's hated it. None of these friends have tried HAL. We tried Princess and didn't care for it as much as HAL (mostly due to the crew), and I don't ever see us trying Carnival.

What we like about HAL is the more "traditional" cruise experience. Although in trying to appeal to more people, it's not as traditional as it used to be. A HAL cruise can be non-stop activities or total relaxation - whichever you prefer. It's just not in-your-face. My husband likes to take afternoon naps, that's something that says vacation to him. I like to lay by a pool, or join in other activities. Sometimes I just want to sit in a quiet nook and read. We love to explore in the ports and even though HAL has some really great excursions, we tend to book privately.

The crew and food on HAL are excellent, in our opinion. You won't have problems finding numerous choices for vegan. If you want something in particular, ask the staff. They will do their best to accomodate you.

Contrary to what some people might say - the ship is not filled with walkers and old people. There are some older people on the ship - usually people who have cruised quite a bit and I love talking with them and hearing of their previous adventures. There are also families....and I have to say I have not noticed a poorly behaved child. Yes, kids have fun at the Lido pool - but not rude, disrespectful, hyperactive, or screaming children.

The things we did not care for on Carnival could have very much been because of the ship (Inspiration) and the departure port (LA). Didn't care for food (including eating area) and the ship was crowded with a party crowd atmosphere. I am not judging every Carnival cruise on one experience, but since we are looking to leave out of So Cal again, want to do something different. We are 50+, would like a more laid back atmosphere with less people and kids, good food, and a great gym. We are looking at the Holiday Mex 7 night. Thanks for the comments. (Our last RCI experience wasn't so great either, so no longer loyal to royal. A shame we have to start all over with the whole point, past cruiser program on another line)

I probably wouldn't like The Inspiration either - smaller ship, usually shorter cruises and "party atmosphere." If you ever cruise with CCL again, give The Breeze a try and maybe even go for the cove balcony. Cruised with CCL a lot but Celebrity is our favorite, followed very closely by HAL. HAL with give you a definite step up in atmosphere and refinement. I really like the fresh flowers that are everywhere, the quieter atmosphere, and usually fewer children and even much younger adults. I like the idea on HAL that one can be as active or retired as one desires with no big push by CD to get involved. The food and service on HAL has always been very good for us, although many complain, like all cruise lines, that nothing is as good as it used to be. I suspect that you'll enjoy a cruise with HAL. :)

We've also only done one Carnival cruise, interestingly, it was also on the Inspiration. We did a 4 night Baja cruise last Feb.

I approached our Carnival cruise with a little trepidation, because of the "party hardy" reports I've read. I was pleasantly surprised. The ship was obviously not very full, and we really didn't run into any overly partying people. The only disclaimers I will put on that were on the Lido, the sound system putting out the "music" (I would classify it as noise) as well and the DJ's patter was astoundingly loud. My husband & I couldn't make small talk as we played cards there every day. And the hairy chest contest really wasn't up our alley. I was waiting for the wet t-shirt contest to follow, but it didn't happen (thankfully). And the piano bar was a bit to much on the suggestive side when the group in there decided to use their own lyrics for some of the songs being played.

All that being said, as a whole the people onboard that particular cruise really were mostly laid back. In fact, during most of the evening shows, there wasn't a whole lot of audience response (particularly to the comedians). Most of the audience participation stuff was done by kids, not adults.

The décor on the Inspiration vs a HAL ship is glaring. Carnival apparently prefers the more neon-inspired, Vegas style décor, while HAL is much more sedate and dark.

I agree the food was probably the worst food I've had on any cruise. But, as a rule, most cruise food is only adequate to good, in my opinion. On our Carnival cruise they had sauces that were basically watered down versions of whatever the sauce was supposed to be for that item. And getting anything to drink in the MDR was a real challenge if you wanted to have it for your meal. Or even by the time the meal was over. They are testing a new menu concept and the Inspiration is one of the test ships. I wasn't impressed.

The room we had was an oceanview room and it by far was the tiniest room we've ever had on any cruise. Basically there was a bed, a chair (like a straight back dining room chair, not a comfy one), a stool for the desk. So no just sitting in your room and reading or watching TV, except by lying on the bed.

Between HAL and Carnival I would cruise on HAL at the drop of a hat. I'd have to think about doing Carnival again.

There was a time that HAL and Carnival did not look at all alike. Now, Carnival buys in bulk for both lines and, with each passing year, HAL are Carnival are looking more and more like each other. HAL used to have the best customer service in the industry but I think it is losing that. I may try one more HAL cruise but my patience is running thin with them. I definitely will never book a Neptune Suite. Better to buy the cheapest cabin and enjoy the ship and the food. Not worth paying a premium for upscale service that always disappoints..

As kazu says it would sure help if you were more specific about what you didn't like about Carnival. I've had about 2 Carnival cruises, 6 RCI, and 8 HAL. I just stepped off the Radiance and am boarding the Statendam tomorrow. It may not help without knowing more of your tastes but I would place RCI roughly midway between Carnival and HAL.

Roy

I've been following your blog on the Radiance - I really like that ship, and I'm interested to hear what your opinion is, in general. I have one more HAL cruise booked, and am seriously thinking of going back to RCI (not the mega ships) because my own experience has been too many mechanical failures on HAL, and everything has worked fine on RCI. There are pros and cons, but unfortunately HAL is just not doing it for me much these days. I just wish RCI ships had the all-around promenade deck!