Questions about Splendour of the Seas - Greek Isles & Turkey Cruise

Hello everyone

I'm preparing for my cruise on the Splendour of the Seas this September

I booked this cruise a year ago and have been on the forums for the past year weekly. I may have missed it, but I haven't heard a peep about this itinerary.

Has anyone been on the Splendour of the Seas, 7 Night Greek Isles & Turkey Cruise?

Did you enjoy it?

I'm wondering if you can recommend any excursions?

What can I expect from this ship? I understand its an older boat that has been renovated.

We sail out of Venice. Our ports of call are Dubrovnik, Croatia; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; and Katakolon, Greece.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by vanstare

We didn't do quite the same itinerary as yours, we did Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Pireaus & Katakolon.

The ship is older but has had the following added:

Chops Grille

Izumi

Park Café

Britto Store

R Bar

Diamond & Concierge Lounges

Aerial Displays in the Centrum

Outdoor Movie Screen in the pool area

On the whole we enjoyed the cruise for the ports, Dubrovnik should not be missed!

The only issue we had was with MTD and requesting a table for 2, despite making advance reservations, and getting a table for breakfast in the MDR was hard too.

Didn't think some of the staff were as friendly as we've had on other cruises.

Only IMHO, but I don't like how they have taken the best views from the Viking Crown by installing Izumi and Chops Grille.

When the shows are taking place in the Centrum, getting an elevator to/from the Viking Crown is not possible, not an issue, but something to be aware of.

Here's a link to some photos.

She is older but has been refurbished a few years ago

She's lovely and nice for the ports you are likely to be doing

Not sure of your exact itinerary but can guess

Need to give more info for us to answer what you will expect on it

Also might be worth starting your own thread if ones not there

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Serenade was launched in 2003 and refurbished in late 2012. The Radiance class ships are our favourites, but honestly we love them all.

We can recommend only two things for your sailing, based on our experiences; do not use a ships tour in Dubrovnik - leave the ship and find a local taxi, do not be afraid to ask if they can take you on a tour, not just take you to the city. We had a fantastic two hour tour up to the hills over the city and we got a very good history of the city - it's worth every euro. You can then just explore the city on your own, it's very easy.

For Ephesus the best way is to take the ship's tour, but unless you really want to, do not let the guide take you into the market when you get back - it's just a selling opportunity and a waste (in our view) of an hour.

Edited by roysmith99

I have done that itinerary and loved it - loved all the ports. Dubrovnik is easily toured on your own after taking Royal's shuttle to the Old Town. And in Katakalon, it's an easy and short train ride to Olympia, the site of the original Olympics, which has a lovely (and air conditioned!) museum. Santorini is one of my favorite places in the world; don't miss Oia, the town that's on just about every Greek tourism poster. You can take a public bus, but transportation is simpler if you book an excursion. As for Kusadasi, do not miss the ruins at Ephesus and the Terrace Houses (I recommend joining your cruise's Roll Call and getting together a small group for a private tour) - but I don't love the town of Kusadasi itself. Too many merchants aggressively trying to get you to buy rugs, leather jackets, and "genuine fake watches."

Does your itinerary skip Athens?

Oh and for Croatia, the government have insisted that stores/bars/restaurants only take the official currency - the Kuna, not the Euro. At least that was the case in October 2013, despite Croatia joining the EU in July 2013.

We are on the 10/25 sailing and there is precious little about Splendour on here. I've found a good amount of advice in the Ports of Call forum so that's been helpful but almost nothing on the ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Splendour is a great ship with fantastic crew. As you've said, it's smaller than most of the others but don't let that bother you. R Bar, Pool Bar & Schooner Bar are excellent as is the King & I dining room.

Centrum elevator to & from the Viking Crown? Don't worry: in the Viking, use the rear staircase, go down one deck and you take a normal elevator to the centrum - toilets are nearby as well!

Enjoy the Splendour!!

Really enjoyed the Splendour. We did a similar itinerary last year. Dubrovnik was fab, the views form the cable car station are amazing and the old town has so much charm.

My only negative of the Splendour was the Windjammer. It`s too small for the ship and gets really rammed full of people at lunch time. The seating area at the rear on radiance class ships really moves people out of the Windjammer but these smaller ships do not have this, which is a shame !

Just a minor nitpick. Sure you will have a great time.

PJ

I have done that itinerary and loved it - loved all the ports. Dubrovnik is easily toured on your own after taking Royal's shuttle to the Old Town. And in Katakalon, it's an easy and short train ride to Olympia, the site of the original Olympics, which has a lovely (and air conditioned!) museum. Santorini is one of my favorite places in the world; don't miss Oia, the town that's on just about every Greek tourism poster. You can take a public bus, but transportation is simpler if you book an excursion. As for Kusadasi, do not miss the ruins at Ephesus and the Terrace Houses (I recommend joining your cruise's Roll Call and getting together a small group for a private tour) - but I don't love the town of Kusadasi itself. Too many merchants aggressively trying to get you to buy rugs, leather jackets, and "genuine fake watches."

Does your itinerary skip Athens?

Yes it does skip Athens :( We really wanted to see Santorini and Dubrovnik on the same cruise so we really only had two sailing dates to choose from in September.

Thank you for your excursion suggestions, we'll be taking your advice!

We didn't do quite the same itinerary as yours, we did Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Pireaus & Katakolon.

The ship is older but has had the following added:

Chops Grille

Izumi

Park Café

Britto Store

R Bar

Diamond & Concierge Lounges

Aerial Displays in the Centrum

Outdoor Movie Screen in the pool area

On the whole we enjoyed the cruise for the ports, Dubrovnik should not be missed!

The only issue we had was with MTD and requesting a table for 2, despite making advance reservations, and getting a table for breakfast in the MDR was hard too.

Didn't think some of the staff were as friendly as we've had on other cruises.

Only IMHO, but I don't like how they have taken the best views from the Viking Crown by installing Izumi and Chops Grille.

When the shows are taking place in the Centrum, getting an elevator to/from the Viking Crown is not possible, not an issue, but something to be aware of.

Here's a link to some photos.

Your pictures are amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

I read about the currency in Dubrovnik and was concerned. But I hope Royal Caribbean will let us know prior to arrival to the port. I hope we can exchange money on the ship? I am not planning to bring any Kunas with me...

I am planning for my first solo cruise for August 2015 on a different ship, return from Rome with 4 Greek ports.

For the people that have cruised there.

When I cruised Alaska, people said get a balcony for the scenery. I had a balcony and used it.

Doing the Greek Isles would it be the same as Alaska scenery as you cruised to the next port? Do you think a balcony is needed or would an ocean view be fine?

We are in port most days from 8-6.

Has anybody cruised in August, how hot is it? We have cruised in the Caribbean in August before.

Edited by phabric

My wife and I were on Splendour the year before last and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. Ephesus was marvellous but as we don't like the hard sell, we skipped the visit to the carpet shop!!

We had a grand suite but were upgraded to an owners which was great (other than the fact our front door was opposite the staff entrance). The concierge lounge is a bit strange as it's kind of open plan within a show area and you can hear everything going on. They seem to have just put three partitions there to separate it from that area. Have to say I wasn't impressed with that.

The ship is smaller than other we've been on so you don't really have the promenade like the other bigger ships. Food was good, staff polite and ports we visited were fine (Santorini was lovely as well).

Would I sail on Splendour again, probably not but I still enjoyed my cruise. As they say it's up to you to enjoy your holiday and my wife and I always do.

- sorry about my earlier post with reference to Serenade, must have been a senior moment.

We have friends who did the Splendour in July and loved the ship, their other exeriences were newer ships, but they were very positive about the ship and the itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am planning for my first solo cruise for August 2015 on a different ship, return from Rome with 4 Greek ports.

For the people that have cruised there.

When I cruised Alaska, people said get a balcony for the scenery. I had a balcony and used it.

Doing the Greek Isles would it be the same as Alaska scenery as you cruised to the next port? Do you think a balcony is needed or would an ocean view be fine?

We are in port most days from 8-6.

Has anybody cruised in August, how hot is it? We have cruised in the Caribbean in August before.

I've done the Eastern Med in interior, exterior, and balcony cabins. All were fine. The balcony is a nice bonus (it's lovely for a room service breakfast and for watching the scenery go by), but in no way necessary.

It's hot in August, especially in Turkey. Bring a hat and sunscreen.

Hello everyone

I booked this cruise a year ago and have been on the forums for the past year weekly. I may have missed it, but I haven't heard a peep about this itinerary.

Has anyone been on the Splendour of the Seas, 7 Night Greek Isles & Turkey Cruise?

Did you enjoy it?

What can I expect from this ship? I understand its an older boat that has been renovated.

We sail out of Venice. Our ports of call are Dubrovnik, Croatia; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; and Katakolon, Greece.

Thanks in advance!

Can't wait to hear your review on this trip...I'm doing the exact same ship/itinerary but in Sept. 2015...and so far I'm doing it solo (yikes). Would love to read how it goes? Have fun! :)

Hello everyone

Did you enjoy it?

Thanks in advance!

We were on Serenade in 2010 (late Oct). We went to every port you mention with the exception of Katakolon. Instead, we went to Corfu. We took 4 ship excursions altogether.

Dubrovnik- DU07A Best of the Adriatic (I agree that old town Dubrovnik is navigable without a tour, but, we had a lovely lunch/early dinner at a charming restaurant further in country included.)

Kusadasi- KD04A Best of Ephesus - Ancient ruins including the Library of Celsus- historical/biblical importance. Very interesting overall. They will stop at a rug store. It's nearly unavoidable.

Santorini- SO01A Village of Oia & Santorini Isl- This was a fairly short tour from what I recall. You will get excellent photos here. No real skill needed. It is an amazingly photogenic place. Take time to have a drink on one of the many cafes that sit facing the caldera (and likely your ship below!). We asked the tour guide after to point us towards a decent restaurant and she did. It's called Mama's House (Fira, Santorini) and at the time it was very small and literally run by Mama and her husband whom we only heard from the kitchen as she barked the meal orders to him. There were about 6 tables at the time though I have heard it has expanded quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

Brig

Edited by Brigbound

We did this itinerary in April, 2010. I had an inside cabin and that was fine. Ship was not important on this itinerary. We were busy in the ports.

In Kusadasi, we used the tour company "Hello, Ephesus". They were fantastic. Always felt safe. The guide was very knowledgeable. Not to miss..!!

Dubrovnick was easily explored on foot.

Santorini, use the cable car to get to the top. We rented a car and drove to Oia. BEAUTIFUL scenery! We ate at a little restaurant there with excellent views.

Corfu, we rented a car, too. Signs are in Greek so be careful. You know that old saying, "Looks like Greek to me!", it's true.

Venice, make sure you spend some time here. We enjoyed the Secret itineraries Tour at Doge's Palace. Have to book way in advance.

We traveled the week that the volcano in Iceland erupted. Half the passengers could not make it to the ship in Venice because the flights were cancelled. We were there a few days earlier so we lucked out. We practically had the ship to ourselves. We got to know the staff and crew, frequently talked with the cruise director, captain, maître d, etc. That will never happen again but I will always remember it.

261538953_DSC_0572small.jpg.decffb3a6784b5a5ce63eebe4607f96d.jpg

2134186684_DSC_0918small.jpg.f182135e8bc08854ee1f66a099841910.jpg

I agree with ClayB - I've used Hello Ephesus several times and they're very good. When you book with them, tell them upfront that you don't want to stop at the carpet store/school/factory, and tell your guide too. (Unless you DO want to stop at the carpet store, in which case of course you can!)

I did the Serenade 12-night Med/Greek Isles cruise in July. We had a balcony; the kids had the interior across the hall from us. I enjoyed the balcony, but I wouldn't say it was necessary. It was cool to watch going in and out of ports, and it was nice to be able to check the weather and put on sunscreen out there.

For Turkey, I'd recommend Ephesus Tours Best. And if you're physically able to do so, I'd very much recommend seeing Priene as well as (and maybe even in place of!) Ephesus. It's also an ancient ruin, but it's in the woods on a hill (thus the "physically able" part). But WAY fewer tourists, and much more intimate than Ephesus. Ephesus felt like a tourist trap to me.

They did take us to a rug factory, but the rug factory provided us with an absolutely delicious lunch, and in addition to showing us the rugs, also showed how they dyed the yard and got silk out of silkworms. We spent maybe 60-90 minutes there, and maybe 20 minutes was selling? I didn't mind it. He also took us to a Turkish Delight store, but there were lots of free samples and no pressure to buy anything.

Edited by robint

• 4 weeks later...

My family just came back from this cruise and loved it.

The ship is one of the smaller ones, but we found it nice that we could interact with the same crew members more often and get to know each other.

This was our first cruise and really had no idea of what to expect from any of the ports of call aside from Santorini.

But here are my impressions:

Dubrovnik - OMG. So beautiful and very easy to get a taxi to give you a tour and then drop you off at Pile Gate for your own exploration of the Old Town. When you debark the taxis are right there.

Kusadasi (Ephesus) - We decided to find our own way to get to Ephesus. We inquired about taxis at one of the shops in Scala Nuova shopping centre (It's basically the "mall" right in front of where the ships dock, so you'll most likely have to walk through it anyway). We ended up negotiating a tour of Ephesus, House of Virgin Mary, St. John's, Temple of Artemis with a quick stop at a souvenir place for 60 Euros (And we were 6 people)

Santorini - We went with the RCL excursion that brought us to the Village of Oia, wine tasting at Santo Winery and then to Santorini. Overall good tour.

Katakolon - We opted with a local bus operator who drove up to the Archeological site for 10 euro per person and then would rive back to the cruise ship at a specified time. We were able to go around the site and visit the museum at our own pace.

This is definitely the start of many more cruises for us.

We did the Splendour's alternate itinerary last month and enjoyed it. Although we did not visit the ports you are going to, we have been to 2 of your ports, Dubrovnik and Kusadasi.

Like several other posters, I do not think you need a ship's tour in Dubrovnik. Instead take the shuttle bus (or a taxi) into the old town. You can easily wander around the city, but if you like history and do not mind steps, I would take one of the Walk the Walls tours offered imside the city near the main entrance (Pile Gate.) We did so and found our guide to be both informative and interesting as we enjoyed the views from the top of the walls.

Kusadasi: To us Ephesus is a must if you have not been there. And,if you like mosaics, be sure to find a tour that offers a visit to the Apartments. The work of reconstructing the mosaics is still going on, but what they finished is amazing. We arranged for a private tour prior to our arrival using one of the companies recommended on these boards. And, of course, a visit to a bazaar is always fun if you so not mind aggressive sellers.

Have fun.

My family just came back from this cruise and loved it.

The ship is one of the smaller ones, but we found it nice that we could interact with the same crew members more often and get to know each other.

This was our first cruise and really had no idea of what to expect from any of the ports of call aside from Santorini.

But here are my impressions:

Dubrovnik - OMG. So beautiful and very easy to get a taxi to give you a tour and then drop you off at Pile Gate for your own exploration of the Old Town. When you debark the taxis are right there.

Kusadasi (Ephesus) - We decided to find our own way to get to Ephesus. We inquired about taxis at one of the shops in Scala Nuova shopping centre (It's basically the "mall" right in front of where the ships dock, so you'll most likely have to walk through it anyway). We ended up negotiating a tour of Ephesus, House of Virgin Mary, St. John's, Temple of Artemis with a quick stop at a souvenir place for 60 Euros (And we were 6 people)

Santorini - We went with the RCL excursion that brought us to the Village of Oia, wine tasting at Santo Winery and then to Santorini. Overall good tour.

Katakolon - We opted with a local bus operator who drove up to the Archeological site for 10 euro per person and then would rive back to the cruise ship at a specified time. We were able to go around the site and visit the museum at our own pace.

This is definitely the start of many more cruises for us.

Wow! Your first cruise and you started at the top! I've done many cruises and nothing beats the Med itinerary. Can't wait to return.

Wow! Your first cruise and you started at the top! I've done many cruises and nothing beats the Med itinerary. Can't wait to return.

We wanted to make our first cruise a memorable one, and when we saw Venice and Santorini on the itinerary we were sold.

I did get seasick the last day, but well worth it for the beautiful places we visited. I'll just use it as a learning experience for our next cruise...:)