Country of Citizenship / Residency

feedmytummy

I noticed the online check-in process asks both country of citizenship and country of residency. Does anyone know why they do this? I am a US citizen currently living abroad, and I'm just curious why it matters to them where I live. Thanks for any insight.

My husband is a citizen of the UK and a resident of the US. When he clicks UK, which I think is Great Britain on the Carnival site, it immediately asks where he is a resident, and when he clicks US it asks for his green card number. It's just a way of expediting things prior to boarding/debarkation.

That is so correct, Seago2. My wife is a citizen of Canada, but a resident of the US. While those of us from the US sail on our passports, I was told by a Carnival check-in rep that my wife actually sails on her green card. She does need both of them when she checks in and returns (or any time that she crosses the US/Canada border).

I found it odd that when checking in for the Norwegian cruise, though, they don't ask for country of residency, they ask for birth country and country of citizenship.

Edited by kingoftheicedragons

I noticed the online check-in process asks both country of citizenship and country of residency. Does anyone know why they do this? I am a US citizen currently living abroad, and I'm just curious why it matters to them where I live. Thanks for any insight.

Country of residency may affect the price you pay for the cruise, at least that's all I can come up with.

My wife is a citizen of Canada, but a resident of the US. While those of us from the US sail on our passports, I was told by a Carnival check-in rep that my wife actually sails on her green card.

I'm a US citizen going on a cruise that starts and ends in Seattle. I guess I'm just confused because I don't know why it would matter to them if I live in another country as long as I can validly travel with a US passport.

Country of residency may affect the price you pay for the cruise, at least that's all I can come up with.

But they didn't ask me when I made the purchase. It only asks upon check-in. I can't imagine they would change the price after I've already bought it based on my residency?

I'm a US citizen going on a cruise that starts and ends in Seattle. I guess I'm just confused because I don't know why it would matter to them if I live in another country as long as I can validly travel with a US passport.

But they didn't ask me when I made the purchase. It only asks upon check-in. I can't imagine they would change the price after I've already bought it based on my residency?

As a US citizen, it doesn't really change anything for you. Are you a resident wherever you are living abroad, or just living there? Either way, it shouldn't matter, as you're a US citizen.

As a US citizen, it doesn't really change anything for you. Are you a resident wherever you are living abroad, or just living there? Either way, it shouldn't matter, as you're a US citizen.

It could possibly matter. Example being if I understood what I read last year, for cruise's sailing from Texas when returning to Texas a state tax is levied on alcohol purchased abroad. This tax is only applicable to Texas residents. So knowing where you reside can make a difference on paying extra taxes such as the given example.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This information is ultimately forwarded to the US Customs and Border Patrol as part of the passenger manifest. It's the passenger's responsibility to make sure they have the proper travel documents to visit countries the cruise may stop at.

Granted, the vast majority of passengers on most sailings will be US citizens and residents followed by Canadians, but there are always a healthy number of passengers from around the world.

Mexico may have different travel doc requirements for US citizens than it may have for citizens from Egypt, Venezuela or Croatia. Jamaica or Barbados may have certain special requirements for Somalian, Israeli or Chinese nationals living in the USA. Even the Bahamas may require specific documentation for people on a 3 day Florida weekend cruise from citizens of the Czech Republic, South Korea or Vietnam.

The online check-in computer program does not know who it's collecting this information from nor anything about citizenship and residence until you type it in.

It is then the cruise lines responsibility at check-in time to make sure each passenger presents the proper travel documents for both the foreign ports of call and ultimate debarkation back in the US. Improper travel documents means boarding will be denied.

Edited by AdGuyMG

It could possibly matter. Example being if I understood what I read last year, for cruise's sailing from Texas when returning to Texas a state tax is levied on alcohol purchased abroad. This tax is only applicable to Texas residents. So knowing where you reside can make a difference on paying extra taxes such as the given example.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's not something Carnival is concerned with, nor does country of residency establish state of residency.

For example

I am a New Zealand Citizen i.e born in NZ

But an Australian resident i.e live in Australia.

My husband is a British citizen but he resides in the US. Carnival needs to know this type of information to insure he has the proper documents upon check in so he can clear customs upon return. He has to have his green card and his british passport.

• 9 months later...

Hi FeedMyTummy - I was just online searching for information and came upon your post from August 2014 about your cruise. I am in the same spot - US citizen living abroad and going on cruise - wondering about country of residence - did you end up putting where you live abroad? When I booked the cruise I used my US credit card and US address but for this online check in it appears to be info they would use for immigration and as such I am thinking I should put the foreign address I am currently at since I am technically a resident here - just not sure if it will screw up my reservation that originally had my other address listed. I was also told by the cruise employee that booking from another country cost more so that is why she suggested I use my US information. Curious how your experience went and what you would recommend. I called the cruise line twice and they told me to put down US address but as I am not residing there I think that is the wrong advice. What did you do?

Hi FeedMyTummy - I was just online searching for information and came upon your post from August 2014 about your cruise. I am in the same spot - US citizen living abroad and going on cruise - wondering about country of residence - did you end up putting where you live abroad? When I booked the cruise I used my US credit card and US address but for this online check in it appears to be info they would use for immigration and as such I am thinking I should put the foreign address I am currently at since I am technically a resident here - just not sure if it will screw up my reservation that originally had my other address listed. I was also told by the cruise employee that booking from another country cost more so that is why she suggested I use my US information. Curious how your experience went and what you would recommend. I called the cruise line twice and they told me to put down US address but as I am not residing there I think that is the wrong advice. What did you do?

hi, there... my cruise is still about a month away but i recently completed the check-in and decided to put u.s. for both citizenship and residency. i have a u.s. address attached to u.s. credit card, etc. i assume, like you, that they use the info for immigration but i'm traveling with a u.s. passport, have a u.s. address, and the embark/debark port is a u.s. city. i just figured it would be an unnecessary hassle to put my residency as elsewhere. when is your cruise? i can let you know if i run into any issues on mine if you leave after me.

I just did my check in yesterday and put German address and Germany as place of residency so I guess it should be interesting:) I booked with US credit card with US address (it's my best friend's house where all my mail goes to and where I stay when I'm there) but I'm leaving from Rome and flying back to Germany so I just wasn't sure what to do. Cruise line was nonchalant and said out whichever address but I am thinking this info is more for immigration and didn't want then to scan my passport and for there to be some unforeseen problem. Concerned that there might be an issue since now my reservation has two addresses though. I cruise next month as well. We will have to post our experiences. I'm hoping I don't get denied boarding bc of the two addresses but thought the immigration issue was more important .