Acceptance of US dollars

joybook

I know many of you have done South American cruises so I ask for your advice.

After leaving the Golden in Rio we will be going to Iguazu and will be going to both sides of the Falls. I am aware of the Visa/payment issues for both Brazil and Argentina and all that is in hand. I am also aware of the National Park fees. The one thing I would like to know is one of currency usage. I had planned on only taking US dollars with me (probably small denominations). Are US dollars readily accepted by everyone in both Brazil and Argentina (particularly at Iguazu Falls)? We will be spending a day or so in both Rio and Beunos Aires but my main concern with currency is at Iguazu. Will US dollars do me or will I need to get local currency? Thanks:)

After leaving the Golden in Rio we will be going to Iguazu and will be going to both sides of the Falls. I am aware of the Visa/payment issues for both Brazil and Argentina and all that is in hand. I am also aware of the National Park fees. The one thing I would like to know is one of currency usage. I had planned on only taking US dollars with me (probably small denominations). Are US dollars readily accepted by everyone in both Brazil and Argentina (particularly at Iguazu Falls)? We will be spending a day or so in both Rio and Beunos Aires but my main concern with currency is at Iguazu. Will US dollars do me or will I need to get local currency? Thanks:)

Brazil usually wants reals; definitely for admissions. I used some reals (which I obtained in the US) and when I could credit card. In Buenos Aires we used US $$$

WE always use local currency, whereever we travel, especially the US. You'll find exchange rates very high, at merchants. :eek:

Cato :)

WE always use local currency' date=' whereever we travel...You'll find exchange rates very high, at merchants. :eek:

Cato :)[/quote']

Argentina is a notable exception to this rule. In Buenos Aires restaurants and shops will take US Dollars at a much better exchange rate than from either your bank at home or a local bureau de change. (This is because they will then sell the $US on the black market at a still higher rate).

Sorry I can't help re Brazil.

Edited by fishywood

Argentina is a notable exception to this rule. In Buenos Aires restaurants and shops will take US Dollars at a much better exchange rate than from either your bank at home or a local bureau de change. (This is because they will then sell the $US on the black market at a still higher rate).

Sorry I can't help re Brazil.

What I said in post #2. ;) Having been to Brazil several times, I found that they do prefer reals.

Have you ever gone into a store in the US and tried to pay them in currency from Australia, New Zealand, India, Brazil etc. One could go on and on. Try it sometime and see what kind of reaction you get.

I don't particularly need comments like that. There are many countries in the world, particularly Asian countries where US dollars are readily accepted and many time they even show prices in their own and US currency. This was a serious question.:)

I don't particularly need comments like that. There are many countries in the world, particularly Asian countries where US dollars are readily accepted and many time they even show prices in their own and US currency. This was a serious question.:)

You may not need the comment but you need to understand it. I repeat the question! Try going into a store anywhere in the US with foreign currency and see how you are treated. There's a whole lot more that could be said but I'll just leave it there.

You may not need the comment but you need to understand it. I repeat the question! Try going into a store anywhere in the US with foreign currency and see how you are treated. There's a whole lot more that could be said but I'll just leave it there.

On the other hand, have you ever gone into a store in Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam and used U.S. dollars? Peru? Ecuador? Panama? Argentina? No? (I have, in all those places, successfully.) There's a lot more that could be said about unearned attitude, but....

Edited by shepp

You may not need the comment but you need to understand it. I repeat the question! Try going into a store anywhere in the US with foreign currency and see how you are treated.

For unknown reasons, Hollywood Florida is a big destination

for canadian retirees in the winter.

Many of the resturants have menus in english and french,

and accept canadian currency.

I'm not sure if Hollywood qualifies as 'anywhere', though.

On the other hand, have you ever gone into a store in Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam and used U.S. dollars? Peru? Ecuador? Panama? Argentina? No? (I have, in all those places, successfully.)

That is because the US $ is more stable than their own currencies.

There are more US $100 bills outside the USA then there are inside the country.