Location of White Pass ticket office / boarding area

feedmytummy

Hi, everyone... We are considering riding the White Pass train but not through the cruise ship. I was wondering how far the ticket office is located from where the ships dock. Also, I'm assuming the train itself is where the ticket office is? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I thought I read somewhere that the office is somewhere downtown and this made me think the train might board elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

Hi, everyone... We are considering riding the White Pass train but not through the cruise ship. I was wondering how far the ticket office is located from where the ships dock. Also, I'm assuming the train itself is where the ticket office is? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I thought I read somewhere that the office is somewhere downtown and this made me think the train might board elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

I did this with Chilkoot Charters and Tours (superb) and they picked us up at the dock and drove the very short distance to the train. If you are on a tour that does the train one way and the bus the other and have the choice, pick the one that does the train first. If you are returning to Skagway by bus this allows a more leisurely afternoon (more photo stops, slightly longer lunch etc) as it doesn't matter +/- 15 minutes when you get back. All the best, Tony

I did this with Chilkoot Charters and Tours (superb) and they picked us up at the dock and drove the very short distance to the train. If you are on a tour that does the train one way and the bus the other and have the choice, pick the one that does the train first. If you are returning to Skagway by bus this allows a more leisurely afternoon (more photo stops, slightly longer lunch etc) as it doesn't matter +/- 15 minutes when you get back. All the best, Tony

Not to hijack my own thread but your response got me thinking... We are actually already booked with tntours98. It's a private excursion (we're a sizable group) that doesn't include the train ride, but we can add it on by buying tickets ourselves. Since we have them for the day, maybe they will be willing to take us to the train station and then meet us in Fraser. If not, would you say we could walk from the ship to the ticket office then board the train by 8am? We're scheduled to dock at 7am. Also, we were thinking about train up/drive back for the very reason you stated - more leisurely on the way back. However, I've read warnings about fog in the morning along the train route. I guess that's not an issue I should really worry about?

We were on the Zaandam in July and we docked very close to town. Actually when we were in the downtown shopping area, we could look down the street and it looked like our ship was going to sail straight up the main street. As we walked off the ship and were headed in the direction of downtown, only a very short distance was the ticket booth and the train was right there waiting for us.

However, we noticed that 2 other ships, a Royal Caribbean ship and the Celebrity Millenium were at another pier, a little farther away from the downtown area. We could see another train close to where they were docked but I don't know if there is a ticket booth over there as well. I understand that they run several trains up to White Pass.

Hope that helps.

We quite enjoyed our train ride - saw lots of beautiful scenery.

Not to hijack my own thread but your response got me thinking... We are actually already booked with tntours98. It's a private excursion (we're a sizable group) that doesn't include the train ride, but we can add it on by buying tickets ourselves. Since we have them for the day, maybe they will be willing to take us to the train station and then meet us in Fraser. If not, would you say we could walk from the ship to the ticket office then board the train by 8am? We're scheduled to dock at 7am. Also, we were thinking about train up/drive back for the very reason you stated - more leisurely on the way back. However, I've read warnings about fog in the morning along the train route. I guess that's not an issue I should really worry about?

If you don't have any mobility limitations, yes, easy walk. Go to http://www.skagway.com very good detailed map. The White Pass RR is located between 1 and 2nd between Broadway and State. You are going to have to contact the vendor directly and ask THEM what their time allows for you to add on the train. They may only allow one direction with their schedule.

I don't agree with the above recommendation about direction. The vendors allow plenty of time for taking the train trip in both directions, which I have done numerous times, including twice this year with the train return. Not sure if this poster has multiple trips for the comparison? Far more important is your seating.

If it's any interest, in a few days I will post a couple of videos of my day on the start of the Gold Rush trail, which will show it was misty. Of course I wished it was sunny but it really made no difference to my enjoyment of the ride, which is so rich in history as well as being a pleasure to take.

We also used Chlkoot and agree with the superb assessment! We did the Bennett Scenic Journey on July 16. They picked us up at the foot of the Broadway Pier and drove us to the train. There were no more than 20 in our group and in our car.

You can see where the docks and the train tracks are located on the map.

The ticket office is in the train depot on 2nd Ave.

It is walkable from any of the docks for someone without mobility problems.

Or you can ride a shuttle bus that goes all around the town.

If you buy your ticket from the train company, you board right there at the depot.

It is a good way to save some money if you are planning to go into town anyway.

Notice the train tracks on the map that run down close to all the docks.

If you buy your ticket from the cruise line, you will board a train that comes down to pick up and drop off passengers close to the docks.

So that may be a better choice and worth paying the higher cost to some for the convenience.

dtwnmap9.gif

Edited by varoo

From the White Pass train site, the tickets are $119 apiece. Are the prices the same at the booth? Princess charges $129, so the extra $10 is for convenience of not having to walk to the train depot. We plan on riding the first train around 8am, then getting lunch and walk around Skagway after. If we book through the cruise, will the train bring us back to the ship, meaning we would have to then walk back to town? What is the capacity of these trains? What are the chances of them selling out?

From the White Pass train site, the tickets are $119 apiece. Are the prices the same at the booth? Princess charges $129, so the extra $10 is for convenience of not having to walk to the train depot. We plan on riding the first train around 8am, then getting lunch and walk around Skagway after. If we book through the cruise, will the train bring us back to the ship, meaning we would have to then walk back to town? What is the capacity of these trains? What are the chances of them selling out?

They really don't sell out, they add cars and each run holds hundreds of people.

If you buy your ticket from the train company, you board right there at the depot.

Not exactly. They run so many different trains that they have to plan out the logistics, and trains will start as far out as the train yard. For example, the Bennett Lake train has to be "first" (there's only one track, with very few sidings where trains can pass) since it goes the farthest, and therefore it will start from the yard. Other trains are staged closer to town, most likely in the order of how far they go.

I saw a video on YouTube of a couple that went on the train ride but on the way back they stopped at various points, including Yukon suspension bridge. I planned on taking the 3-3.5 hour train ride that round trip, but the bus ride back with various stops sounds interesting.

Does anyone know who runs this excursion? Worth it?

I saw a video on YouTube of a couple that went on the train ride but on the way back they stopped at various points, including Yukon suspension bridge. I planned on taking the 3-3.5 hour train ride that round trip, but the bus ride back with various stops sounds interesting.

Does anyone know who runs this excursion? Worth it?

These short tours, do not get into the Yukon. That is an area with incredible scenery. :) I see not much appealing about the suspension bridge, which isn't even IN the Yukon.

There are several vendors who do this tour, including the cruise ship. I have used Dyea Dave and Chilkoot. There are also others.

These short tours, do not get into the Yukon. That is an area with incredible scenery. :) I see not much appealing about the suspension bridge, which isn't even IN the Yukon.

There are several vendors who do this tour, including the cruise ship. I have used Dyea Dave and Chilkoot. There are also others.

That's funny since it has Yukon in the name, how far away is it?

I took a look at the other excursions, they are 8+ hours. That seems like a long time to be stuck on a train or bus.

What would you recommend? I would like to ride the train, but I would also like to stop at various overlooks for photo ops. (photography is my hobby)

I took a look at the other excursions, they are 8+ hours. That seems like a long time to be stuck on a train or bus.

What would you recommend? I would like to ride the train, but I would also like to stop at various overlooks for photo ops. (photography is my hobby)

Over 20 miles.

Time is your friend in Alaska. Simple equation- longer you are out, the more you see. Long transits are a given in Alaska.

With your "stuck" comment- it already sounds like it wouldn't be for you. IF you have all day in port, with a 8p departure, then a possibility out be to take the White Pass RR round trip and then drive yourself, on the Klondike Highway as far as you want to go. I have been to Carcross three times, already this year. I never tire of the drive. :) You will have to determine- what YOU want out of your trip.

Otherwise the short round trip combo to Fraser, really misses the gem of the drive to Carcross. Sure the White Pass is very nice and certainly worthwhile, if that is all you wish to see and go to.

Edited by Budget Queen

Just some notes about the Bennett Scenic Journey which we did on July 16. We were off the NCL Pearl by 7:15 and at the foot of Broadway Pier where Mike from Chilkoot picked us up and took us to the train. As noted above, this train has to be "first out" and is boarded near the WPYR Shops. There was no more than 20 of us with Chilkoot and we had the car to ourselves and plenty of room on the open platform where I spent the entire trip! I'm a photographer and took advantage of the vantage from there shooting both stills as well as videos with my GoPro clamped on to a grab iron (link below).There were only 4 passenger cars on the train and one of them was empty until we got to Bennett.

We departed shortly after 7:30 and cleared the summit about 9:00. In Fraser, after Canadian officials checked our passports, we had about 20 minutes off the train. The stay in Bennett was about an hour and 15 minutes and included a lunch of hot beef stew, sourdough bread, coleslaw and apple pie. Plenty of time to take in the scenery. At Bennett, about two dozen backpackers boarded the train (an entire car was reserved for them and empty from Skagway).

Upon departing Bennett, the remaining hour or more of the trip to Carcross was running right along the edge of Lake Bennett. This train is the only way to see this area! About 4 hours after departing Skagway, we arrived in Carcross where Mike from Chilkoot was waiting for us. The 20 of us boarded the 24 passenger tour van/bus and headed to Emerald Lake via Carcross Desert. After some time at the lake, we headed back down the Klondike Highway to Skagway.

The drive back to Skagway was about 2.5 hours with MANY stops along the way...some of which the larger buses wouldn't or couldn't. Some of the points included the suspension bridge and Bridal Veil Falls. At some points, Mike would take some photos of you with your camera. We arrived back in Skagway about 4 PM and the Pearl departed at 8 PM so, there was some time to spend in town before boarding the ship.

I spent almost the entire time out on the open platform with a guy from Houston (who was not on a cruise). The train's conductor spent a lot of time with us and shared some interesting trivia about the rail line.

Even the 4 hour version is good but, THE scenery in my opinion is in British Columbia and Yukon. Either way, very enjoyable!

I posted a link to my still photos above, here are some of the videos that I have posted so far...

I did the 'long' day last month and would definitely recommend it.

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

You will get plenty of chances for photos on the train. Ideally you will be on the last carriage as I was, but that's a matter of (slim) chance. While you can stand 'outside' on either end of the carriage you can't cross into the next one.

Even though it's about 7-8 hours it is all very broken up so there's no question of being stuck on a bus for any significant length of time. You stop for lunch for about an hour and in the bus bit there are many photo stops, as well as 45 minutes at Carcross (if you choose a tour that stops there).

I thought it was a great day which seems far better value than a train round trip, when you repeat what you saw the first time. And when it's over there is still plenty of time to look around Skagway, assuming your ship doesn't leave before 7 pm. All the best, Tony

I did the 'long' day last month and would definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the great videos! And the history lesson that goes with it :) Really hoping we can work it out to catch the one-way 8am to Fraser and have our tour company pick us up from there. Fingers crossed.

The train-ride is beautiful, but so is the land trip, so it is better to do a trip with both. If cost is an issue, then I highly recommend renting a car.

Here is my photo review of train vs. rental car http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078780

There is also a map of the road and train routes on page 2.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I road the train last week. It was a nice experience. Would I go again? No. On the way back, most people were sleeping. The price is a bit high, should be around $60 vs $130. The tour guide said that 365,000 people ride the train a year. That would mean the train depot brings in over $47 million a year!!

Edited by hyperdrive