Location of White Pass ticket office / boarding area

feedmytummy

If we book through the cruise, will the train bring us back to the ship, meaning we would have to then walk back to town?

We booked the half day train ride up to the Canadian border and back. Since we booked through NCL, we were picked up at the Ore Dock (fifty feet from the gangway). When we returned, we were given the option to get off at the Train Station in town or at the ship. We got of at the station and headed over to The Skagway Fish Company for a king crab lunch!! Spent the rest of the afternoon walking around Skagway.

My wife and I road the train last week. It was a nice experience. Would I go again? No. On the way back, most people were sleeping. The price is a bit high, should be around $60 vs $130. The tour guide said that 365,000 people ride the train a year. That would mean the train depot brings in over $47 million a year!!

Wow. On our trip (Bennett Scenic Journey), we were awake the entire 67.5 miles on the train to Carcross and still awake for the trip back to Skagway. I spent the entire train trip on my feet on the open platform at the end of our car.

Definitely do it again even with the cost!

We did chilcoot tour last week, bus to Carcross and train to Bennett lake and back to Skagway. Lunch was served at the old train station and the whole trip I thought was worth the fee, we had Mike from Chilcoot who was very knowledgable.

J.

We always go to the station and book directly, the rationale being if the weather is not good then there is little point in going up into low cloud to see little. I agree with BQ, a few years ago I could quote the capacity of the trains but that's gone from mind now....however they have lots to accommodate everyone and the likely of them leaving anyone behind is extremely remote.

We did the 3.5 hour train up and bus down last week. I booked it direct before we left the UK. Just something you might want to consider, we had our own separate carriage away from the cruise ship group. Plenty of room with couples being able to sit on seperate seats.We kept hearing announcements to the other carriages saying fill all the seats don't leave any gaps please. Also when we got of the train and boarded our coach it was small and had around 16 people on board. Our driver stopt at the welcome to Alaska sign for us all to get out and take pictures. He also stopt at around 4 other amazing places for photo shots. We saw the cruise bookings getting on the big 50 sweater coaches, who then just stop at the welcome sign and that's it until they are back in Skagway. We were picked up at the dock by the company it it is just a 10 min walk to the station.