Teens in separate room question

mommiejaxx

We have two teenagers that will be in an interior room but for booking purposes we had to put a parent in their room because of their age. We were assured once we board then we can just switch rooms and the teens will be in their room and the parents and younger kids will be in the other room. My question is how will that work with the room key cards. Will guest services just allow the change or will there be a problem with the key cards. As it stands my husband is in a separate room from mine (with the boys) but will actually be in my room on the ship and i want to mame sure he has a key to our room. Sorry if this is confusing.

After you board the ship, you can go to the desk and get additional cards to each of the rooms - good idea anyway so that you can get in the teen's room.

The new cards won't be valid for charges.

At that time, you can also talk about whether you can change the names of who is in what room.

We done exactly this on the Epic TA last year.

I had myself and 12 year old in one cabin and my partner and 17 year old in the other one.

Then onboard we changed to me and my partner in one and the kids in the other cabin.

We went to guest services and changed which of our names we wanted charged to our cabin and card number. And the teenagers changed to their room and card number.

And asked for 2 extra key cards for all of us for each other's room, but have those ones blocked so they can't be charged with anything so we wouldn't get confused.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder why they have this rule at booking since it's so easy to change it on board. Why not just allow two kids to be assigned to a cabin and then on the reservation list the responsible adult and the cabin number the adult would be staying in. You could accomplish this easily by booking the adult cabin first and then booking the child's cabin.

As one person said, if it's a legal booking requirement, why is the requirement no longer a legal issue after you step on the ship. I don't want them to change their policy, I'm just curious. What makes it a legal issue at booking and not a legal issue once you step on the ship. Perhaps it's the fact that a child cannot contract to sail but that is alleviated by requiring an adult's information at booking.

I guess it's easier to do things the hard way. :confused:

Edited by cruisecritiquer

This may not apply to your kids, but.....I strongly urge the parents, who kids are in a separate room, to visit the cruisers next door to your kids cabin. Let them the kid's neighbors know if their are any issues with noise or other things to call you. And let your kids know you have done this too. It may help keep unsupervised kids on good behavior, and will let you handle possible issues BEFORE customer services/security is called.

We have done this also. I would suggest meeting the room steward as well.

If I may give another strong recommendation.

Tell your kids not to tell any of their new friends they are in an unsupervised room. You may trust your kids, but you never know who they might meet.

I wonder why they have this rule at booking since it's so easy to change it on board. Why not just allow two kids to be assigned to a cabin and then on the reservation list the responsible adult and the cabin number the adult would be staying in. You could accomplish this easily by booking the adult cabin first and then booking the child's cabin.

As one person said, if it's a legal booking requirement, why is the requirement no longer a legal issue after you step on the ship. I don't want them to change their policy, I'm just curious. What makes it a legal issue at booking and not a legal issue once you step on the ship. Perhaps it's the fact that a child cannot contract to sail but that is alleviated by requiring an adult's information at booking.

I think it's a liability issue. If anything happens with two kids together, NCL can use the defense that the parents were breaking the ship rules by switching the configuration around to not have an adult present in the room. As there is nobody from NCL present to see who ACTUALLY sleeps in the room, NCL can plead ignorance.

At the same time, they don't really want to interfere with people's enjoyment of the cruise when a family switches around room configurations, so they just look the other way.

I will say that their rule at booking also makes NCL more money, as it causes people afraid to break this rule to simply book extra people in the same cabin, which is a big moneymaker for NCL. They have a much bigger profit margin on extra passengers than passengers who take up an additional stateroom.

I think it's a liability issue. If anything happens with two kids together, NCL can use the defense that the parents were breaking the ship rules by switching the configuration around to not have an adult present in the room. As there is nobody from NCL present to see who ACTUALLY sleeps in the room, NCL can plead ignorance.

At the same time, they don't really want to interfere with people's enjoyment of the cruise when a family switches around room configurations, so they just look the other way.

I will say that their rule at booking also makes NCL more money, as it causes people afraid to break this rule to simply book extra people in the same cabin, which is a big moneymaker for NCL. They have a much bigger profit margin on extra passengers than passengers who take up an additional stateroom.

That sounds like a very reasonable explanation.

I have often wondered the same thing. As for the liability issue, could be but I would think that the guest services wouldn't change it either once you are on board as they would have to physically change it which would ruin their excuse of deniability so who knows. It's my 17 year old son and his 18 year old friend (like our son) who will be in an interior and we will be in a balcony. While the interior room is directly across from ours it apparently is an interior with an interior corridor so I hope it all works out. I will definitely introduce myself to their room steward. This will be our first cruise on Norwegian. :D

I have often wondered the same thing. As for the liability issue, could be but I would think that the guest services wouldn't change it either once you are on board as they would have to physically change it which would ruin their excuse of deniability so who knows. It's my 17 year old son and his 18 year old friend (like our son) who will be in an interior and we will be in a balcony. While the interior room is directly across from ours it apparently is an interior with an interior corridor so I hope it all works out. I will definitely introduce myself to their room steward. This will be our first cruise on Norwegian. :D

That's what I did when our girls were in a separate room from us. It was on Princess (which allowed me to book them in their own room as long as we were on the same deck) and I made a point to meet their steward the first day. I wasn't worried about my girls causing noise issues for other passengers as I'd threatened them like only Mom can, but I wanted to make sure their steward knew what he was in for as far as the clothing that would be strewn around the room! LOL. That's also the first and only time I've ever tipped extra at the beginning of a cruise. :o

This may not apply to your kids, but.....I strongly urge the parents, who kids are in a separate room, to visit the cruisers next door to your kids cabin. Let them the kid's neighbors know if their are any issues with noise or other things to call you. And let your kids know you have done this too. It may help keep unsupervised kids on good behavior, and will let you handle possible issues BEFORE customer services/security is called.

I don't know if I'm a fan of telling complete strangers that your children are in the room by themselves. Maybe I'm over thinking...

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I was wondering about this myself along with the restriction of booking only one room at a time online. We are ideally thinking of two connecting balconies and then one interior across for the boys. Last time we had two forward penthouses which was great but four in the room was not very great especially when I was in one and hubby was in the other and kids were coming and going after the baby was already down. Thinking three rooms would give us more space and would still be right around the same price.

I was thinking about what I would do if the upsale fairy called. After staying in the Haven, yes, it was nice. But, even with the 2 bedroom family villa, it was kind of cramped and with one teen and one preteen cruising this year...I'd much prefer they have their own cabin than we share a cabin in the Haven. I will miss being a priority for all the shows and dining venues. :p

The "adult in each room" thing is for booking purposes only....they want to make sure there ARE adults onboard..too easy to book kids in one room, adults in another, and have the adults cancel...or so they think.

It's easy to switch once you board.!

Thanks everyone.. ideally I would love to have them in the balcony room right next to ours or have a room big enough for all of us but financially that just ain't happening. lol! They don't spend a lot of time in their room anyways.. I do wish their door was right across the hall though instead of an interior corridor. Hopefully it will all work out.

This came to mind ... so be forewarned ... each room that you and family book into may not be assigned to the same muster station as the other, hence the parent/child rule.

Best to keep the original key cards and ask for extra blank key cards.

Thanks everyone.. ideally I would love to have them in the balcony room right next to ours or have a room big enough for all of us but financially that just ain't happening. lol! They don't spend a lot of time in their room anyways.. I do wish their door was right across the hall though instead of an interior corridor. Hopefully it will all work out.

Keep checking the rates. The interior room I purchased for the kids is only 60 from the price of the balcony now. If it comes down any lower, you might be able to upgrade them to a balcony without paying anything extra.

• 2 months later...

Maybe I am thinking too hard here? We've booked 2 balcony rooms, with me in one with grandson and the other with hubby and daughter. (so we could get the latitude bonus for each cabin) We want to get our Grandson the soda card - should we wait till after we board and get the cards switched to do that? We will be switching to hubby and I in one, and daughter and grandson in the other cabin.

Edited by DCP