quick millennium review

daisymay1960

I thought I would put a quick review of our recent sail on millennium ( southbound Alaska 8 Aug )

Our trip was diy tour Fairbanks , Denali, talkeneta, anchorage before joining ship on the 8th Aug ....Alaska is amazing

We have cruised once before , RCI mariner of the seas carribean.....and hated it , said cruising wasn't for us never would do it again lol

But Alaska needed a cruise part we felt if we were to experience as much as possible.we approached the cruise portion with some trepidation

We arrived at Seward in the pouring rain , I saw the ship and liked what I saw it actually looks like a boat unlike a lot we resemble highrise buildings ( on previous cruise my first sight made me feel sea sick before I even boarded lol )

We walked onto the ship and it was love at first sight. I avoid large hotels and resorts and to me the millenium just felt small, and friendly

Overall the staff were great I couldn't find any cleanliness issues, the food was pretty good , not fine dining of course but then who wants that day in day out

Quisine was fun , our server was as mad as a box of frogs , far too much food ! A word to the wise here, think very carefully what you order, trust me you will never have room to order more then s few dishes

Olympic .....I didn't enjoy it , but the rest of my party enjoyed their food. The room , like a lot of the rooms was far too hot ( one of only a few niggles I had )

I had read quite a few bad reviews of the millennium, so one day I thought I would look for the rust so many people had whinged about, and do you know if you really look you can see bits of rust. Personally I spent my time looking at the views, but each to their own ;)

Towards the end of the cruise we did get a faint whiff of eau de sewage, and on our last evening our toilets (deck 8 ) wouldn't flush for a few hours.....apparently someone blocked the pipes , it had little if zero impact on our holiday

Formal nights were far from formal , the 2 men in our party seemed to be the only ones in formal dinner suits , we saw more then a few in the MDR in very casual clothes

Overall loved the ship loved the cruise

Glad to hear something positive at last. We sailed her out of Venice a few years ago and loved her, so it's been disappointing to hear bad reports of lowering standards recently.

Hope we don't feel let down when we join her again in Hong Kong next April.

Look forward to meeting other cruisers then.

How were the shows? What did you like most about the ship? What did you do during days at sea?

We only got to see 2 shows , we did the first night and the couple who do the 'trapeze type 'act .....sorry can't remember the exact description lol. We enjoyed them , just didn't have time to do the others

Thanks for your mini review. See any whales?

In icey straight there is a humpback that swims close to the boat, apparently they have their own feeding places they stick to. We also did a private whale watching trip Here and saw other humpbacks and a few orcas

On our last day sailing the inside passage we can across a pod of orcas and two actually jumped behind the ship and swam in the wake

How were the shows? What did you like most about the ship? What did you do during days at sea?

Sorry forgot to answer question about sea days

The first sea day was cruising to Hubbard so we were out on deck most of the day. The 2nd was the inside passage we sat outside from breakfast til night time watching the amazing views there was no way I was missing any of it , and Tbh couldn't understand why people were sat inside watching or even doing other activities.it was a very hot day, we spent some time on the aft deck , some on top deck and later on watched from balcony

Glad to hear something positive at last. We sailed her out of Venice a few years ago and loved her, so it's been disappointing to hear bad reports of lowering standards recently.

Hope we don't feel let down when we join her again in Hong Kong next April.

Look forward to meeting other cruisers then.

I don't know if standards have been lowered, but they seemed perfectly fine to me, I was too busy enjoying my time in Alaska . There are always people who find fault in anything. I absolutely hated a previous cruise I had been on , I'm sure the boat was lovely, it was just the wrong itinerary.I loved this one , but I doubt I would cruise again because I'm not sure there is an itinerary that appeals to me

At the end of the day if people want a 5 star service they need to pay a 5 star price

• 2 months later...