Thinking of Trying Carnival....

Doctor_Who

I have only cruised twice before, both times with Princess. I am adopting a baby and during maternity leave I want to go on a cruise. Princess prices just aren't in my tight budget, nor my brother's who will be travelling with me. I do have some questions though.

- Does Carnival have a beverage package like Sodas and More where you can get milkshakes and non-alcoholic drinks or is it just for soda?

- Can you bring young children in the dining room without bugging people? Most of the time on Princess we don't eat in the dining rooms because I don't feel like I'm fancy enough let alone bring a baby in lol.

- Is there anything fun on sea days? I found Princess to be quite boring on sea days, although this past cruise we spent them in the adult only area and it was amazing. Not an option with a baby though.

- Is there a good variety of food for picky eaters (my brother lol)?

- Are the night shows appropriate for children?

- Is there laundry for guest use on board?

- Any differences I should know about?

- Any tips for cruising with a baby (please no negative comments about bringing a baby)?

Thanks!

I have only cruised twice before, both times with Princess. I am adopting a baby and during maternity leave I want to go on a cruise. Princess prices just aren't in my tight budget, nor my brother's who will be travelling with me. I do have some questions though.

- Does Carnival have a beverage package like Sodas and More where you can get milkshakes and non-alcoholic drinks or is it just for soda?

Yes, Carnival has the "Bottomless Bubbles" program, but it doesn't include milkshakes. Here are the beverages included:

Coca-Cola

Sprite

Orange Juice

Diet Coke

Sprite Zero

Cranberry Juice

Coca-Cola Zero

Orange Fanta

Tomato Juice

Coca-Cola Caffeine Free

Mr. Pibb

Pineapple Juice

Diet Coke Caffeine Free

Barqs Root Beer

Grapefruit Juice

Tonic Water / Club Soda

Ginger Ale

For alcoholic and frozen beverages (and soda, but not juice), there is the "Cheers!" program.

- Can you bring young children in the dining room without bugging people? Most of the time on Princess we don't eat in the dining rooms because I don't feel like I'm fancy enough let alone bring a baby in lol.

Yes, all passengers are welcome in the dining room. Most families with children will be at the early seating (and Your Time Dining), rather than the late. There are children's menus, and children are also allowed to order from the adult menu (and vice versa).

- Is there anything fun on sea days? I found Princess to be quite boring on sea days, although this past cruise we spent them in the adult only area and it was amazing. Not an option with a baby though.

It depends on your idea of fun. There will be poolside games/contests (such as bartending competition, "Hairy Chest Contest", etc.), dancing to DJ music, trivia, bingo, art auction, towel folding class, dancing class, spa talks and demos, etc..

There is quite a bit of plain (boring;)) food for picky eaters. All the typical stuff like pizza, mac & cheese, chicken tenders, burgers, hot dogs, fries. And then there is plenty of variety in the not-so boring arena as well.

It depends on the show and your idea of appropriate. Some of the dance shows can get a little racy, with suggestive dancing and G-strings on the dancers. And the adult comedy show is definitely not for kids!But most of the evening shows in the main theatre are generally considered family-friendly.

- Is there laundry for guest use on board?

Yes. I'm not sure if it's true of all Carnival ships, though. Someone else will surely know this and set me straight.

- Any differences I should know about?

My guess: lots, but then I haven't cruised Princess yet. My best advice is: read the boards here to pick up on some of the differences. Look for the threads and reviews that specifically compare the two lines.

- Any tips for cruising with a baby (please no negative comments about bringing a baby)?

How old is the baby? If at the sitting-up-on-his-own age, I would highly recommend a good, rugged umbrella stroller. With a shade awning and onboard storage and good, off-road wheels.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your adoption! Happy sails!:)

Carnival's soda package includes soda and juices from the bars. No smoothies or shakes.

Carnival's new pizza is a bit better than Princess'.

Soft serve 24/7.

Princess' buffet can be better than Carnival's. Carnival's Deli is very good. None of those pre wrapped

sandwiches that Princess has.

Hot Chocolate is available all the time in the buffet on Carnival.

Guest laundries available on each ship.

Cabin sizes are generally larger on Carnival. The shower definitely is.

More places to watch the ocean go by when sitting inside.

No problem bringing a baby to the MDR or most other venues. But if the child gets cranky please soothe them outside the room. Kid's clubs start at two.

More info is found on the Family Board.

Thanks! Baby is due in March so planning a bit ahead lol. I knew about 6 month rule so was planning on going after that.

Dont plan too much- too soon.

Check the different booking codes- you do not want to book as an early saver in case you need to cancel.

You can take the baby with you to the dining room-- but if the baby is crying its better if one of you take the baby out of the dining room to get him/her settled.

6 months old are teething--

there is no baby sitting services-- or camps for that age on carnival it starts at age 2

nightly shows-- i do not think a baby will appreciate the shows but you can take the baby to the show. We took our 18 month to the shows. She slept in her stroller.

I would definitely book a balcony or suite with a baby! That way you have someplace quiet to sit while the baby naps. Babies are not allowed in the pools until they are fully potty trained. There are no tubs in the regular cabins; only suites. I've read some mothers work around this by bringing small blow up wading pools and placing it in the shower stall to bathe baby. I don't recall any formula or diapers for sale in the shops so you'll have to pack enough for the entire trip. You'll not have access to a pediatrician, not a good idea if the baby has health problems, i.e. asthma, ear infections, etc. The refrigerator in the cabin does not get very cold, not food-storage cold, so if anything needs true refrigeration you'll not be able to safely store. They do have pack-n-plays available which can be setup in your cabin. Will the new baby enjoy the cruise? I'm not sure, they like a very controlled environment with regular hours and not too much noise/distraction. Personally, I'd lean more towards a mountain cabin for a supportive, quiet bonding experience. Just my $.02.

Congratulations on the new baby!

Princess ships are fancier or more elegant in decor than Carnival ships. But no matter, an enjoyable time can still be had!

I agree that a balcony cabin on Carnival is larger than a balcony cabin on Princess.

Hope you enjoy your new little one. My nephew cruised first the day he turned 1 and he is now 5, and he LOVES family cruises. :)

Edited by mizlorinj

Yes, I traveled with my son at 10 months and we ate in the Dining Room every night. Some better than others...On nights they took too long he started to get fussy and we would either walk him around or leave.

They play music on board, have trivia contests, hairy chest contests. Variety of things. You will probably be on the move a lot, I never got to lay and relax in a deck chair that cruise...so be prepared for that.

Yes, I am pretty picky and I always manage to find something and usually gain about 5lbs every time :(

If you are traveling with that young of a child it really won't matter as all they will care about is lights and music. Some of the evenings the dancers wear thongs, which might matter to you as the child gets older. We went to a couple shows and by the time we got there my son was usually asleep.

This is one time it is good to over pack. You want to make sure you have plenty of diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, baby snacks, many clothes. We would order room service for bananas for him. If your child is closer to nine months they have the boxed cereals you can grab in the buffet for snacks. If you can get a balcony cabin..this was a saving grace for those times when stuck in the room with a tired/fussy baby to still be able to feel like I was on vacation. Bring a light umbrella stroller, not the large ones as passageways are very narrow. And you might want to check your car seat with your luggage if you think you might travel in a car at port. We took ours but sadly most of the cars in foreign countries don't have seatbelts or they are broken. Go look at the family boards as well for more info!!

Edited by tkportersat

Most of the time on Princess we don't eat in the dining rooms because I don't feel like I'm fancy enough let alone bring a baby in lol.

Thanks!

Trust me, you don't have to feel that way on Carnival. Except for Elegant Nights, the dress code is simple casual dress. Slacks and collared shirts for guys, slacks/skirts, tops or dresses for women. Nothing fancy at all. Some will go all out but most just dress casual.

We took our 6 month on a cruise (she is now 5). It was not a Carnival, it was Royal Caribbean, but we had no problems at all. She went with us to the Main Dining Room every night. I would definitely suggest a good umbrella stroller. We had an oceanview stateroom and it was not a problem. The cruiseline provided a pack and play for her to sleep in too.

Edited by Startuppergirl

Princess has more small bites and relaxing options and Carnival has more rowdy options. While there is stuff going on at pool on Princess, its nothing compared to Carnival. If youre a fan of line dancing, carnival is for you. Princess decor is more to my taste but many people love the Carnival neon. You will have a great time on Carnival and will see plenty of families, much more so than Princess.

Carnival will be more of a party atmosphere with a much younger group than Princess. There will definitely be more children onboard the Carnival. Not that Princess is formal, Carnival is even less formal and laid back in what pax wear. Try to go on the Magic/Dream/Breeze as they are the newest ships with a fantastic buffet.

The food options on the newest Carnival ships particularly in the buffet are better than you will find on the Princess ships with a lot more options although Princess is upgrading their buffet for better options. The balcony cabin on the Carnival was a bit larger than on Princess as already stated. Both ships offered about the same opportunity to look out at the sea.

Congratulations for the family addition. I think you may be more comfortable with a young baby on Carnival than on Princess.

Thanks! Baby is due in March so planning a bit ahead lol. I knew about 6 month rule so was planning on going after that.

That gives you a year at minimum to sail. Why not plan a Carnival cruise before then? That will give you first hand observance of what to expect.

1st of all, congratulations!! That is wonderful, we hold a special place in our hearts for those who adopt. Beautiful!

2nd, it is awesome that you are a cool enough parent to travel with a baby. Many parents would not choose to take that on. We started both our kids cruising at 6 months. Now they are 4 and 6 and they love cruising and can handle just about any travel plan we throw their way....even back country camping/backpacking! So thankful and blessed to have flexible kids.

3rd, some of my responses will be similar to others but figured the more answers, the more you know many have same experience.

Dining Room:

Yes, yes, and yes. Carnival is great for kids. As others say kids menus. We have also found the wait staff love babies and will bend over backwards to make you and baby happy. Many of these staffers have little ones left behind at home so they will take special care of your little one. So if you need something food wise just ask. A banana and some Cheerios at dinner? No problem! Just look at food options and be as creative as you want to make a meal fit for baby.

Sea Days:

When our kids were younger we enjoyed bringing their strollers and just walking around the decks inside and outside enjoying the weather and the sea. We also love water fun. While diapers are not allowed in the pools, our kids loved the splash areas at waterworks. Also, when on ships with no water park, we would let our babies put their feet in the water and splash with them without letting diaper get into water. Staff on the ship never seemed to mind and we were careful not to allow diaper in water.

Picky Eaters:

Yes, we have lots of picky eaters in our family and they loved cruise food.

Shows:

Most of the dance shows are fine....like others said lights and music for baby. Less suitable for older kids for modesty reasons.

Tips:

I agree with other, get a balcony. Then you can relax while baby naps. Also, bring some toys for your child to play with while in cabin, this may also provide you with some peace and quiet if baby gets over stimulated in public areas.

As far as crying babies, we never had that problem with our kids. We just made sure to bring with us everything we needed from home. With our 1st 6month old, we brought his fold up travel swing onboard to prevent any tears at night. Bring a supply of infant Tylenol and Ibuprofen just in case. Also if baby is crying and you are worried about annoying passengers at night, you can always take baby for a stroll on outside decks where no one can hear crying ;)

I hope you have a Wonderful time. Don't listen to any haters out there. Not sure why some people think being a parent means you always must leave your kids behind or not have fun. Full disclosure, we also enjoy cruising without our kids too ;)

Edited by tomsuelaw

Keep in mind , a crying baby in your cabin can be heard thru the walls ,by cabins on either side of you , Our last cruise we had a crying baby , next door , Day and night , Carnival gave us 20% off our next cruise because of it .

Crusin Hogs, so sorry to hear about your negative experience.

We always had an emergency back up plan when we traveled with our infants...in case of crying ;) We had many tricks up our sleeves each day to prevent his type of thing which usually worked well (ie playing hard so baby would be tired but not over tired, keeping nap schedules if needed, giving baby downtime in the room to prevent over stimulation, etc). However, our back up go to for a crying baby late night or early morning was taking baby in the stroller and walking outside decks away from passengers till baby fell asleep. Only had to employ this tactic a couple times but it worked well and I have fond memories of my little man being pushed around an empty lido deck in his cute frog footy pjs :D

Edited by tomsuelaw

My sister and I are both adoptive parents, so first of all, congratulations! Just some food for thought though, from an experienced adoptive parent and aunt, and an experienced cruiser. Going on a cruise during maternity leave sounds like a fun idea. However, a child who is not a newborn (6-9 months) who is adopted at that age, meaning that they are changing their primary caregiver, can have attachment and bonding issues when they first arrive that a person's biological child of that age most likely won't have. Most people don't realize how traumatic it is on a baby when their caregiver, environment, etc, changes. Babies DO grieve. As a matter of fact, they can grieve even more, and be more affected by the change than an older child who had normal bonding as an infant. So, these young babies can get very weepy, cranky, have problems with feeding/eating, sleeping, and be overwhelmed by noise, etc, when they first enter your life. Some kids adapt much more easily than others. My son had a lot of problems like this when we first adopted him, as did one of my nieces. The other niece had some issues, but much less so than the other two. Going on a cruise may be overwhelming for both you and the child that soon after adopting if your child ends up going through a lot of grieving. Not to say don't go, but be aware that this could be an issue. (And don't let the possiblity of the baby going through the grief process get you down either...I love my son son and nieces, and despite the long grieving process my son went through, I would not change anything!). I have 2 biological children as well, and I would say that at 6-9 months I could have easily done a cruise with them, while right after adopting my child, I never could have traveled with him as his grief symptoms were so severe. If you do book, make sure you get travel insurance that would allow you to cancel for any reason just in case you decide at the last minute that you or your baby may be too overwhelmed by traveling at that time.

Another issue to consider with adoption is the legal ability to travel based on when and where you adopt. For some foreign and domestic adoptions, you will not be able to travel outside of the country until the adoption is finalized in court and you have the correct documents in hand. You should talk to your adoption agency about this if you have not already.

Anyway, very best of luck to you, and congratulations!!!

Forget Carnival stick with the TARDIS. :)

Congratulations!

Sent from my TARDIS

LIKE!!!! I saw a license plate frame that said "My other car is a TARDIS." Couldn't stop laughing about it.

I haven't sailed on Princess but I have been on Celebrity, another "premium" cruise line. Personally, I've noticed no mentionable differences at all between Carnival and Celebrity, or Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and so on. Carnival is probably the friendliest of all the cruise lines, but all are contemporary entertainers and compete directly with each other for our bucks in more or less the same ways.

And I believe Princess is owned by Carnival, but if I'm wrong on that I hope somebody will correct me.

FYI (really for anyone reading this), my last cruise was on RC Allure and there were more kids on that ship than I've ever seen anywhere. That includes Allure's sister ship Oasis which I've also sailed on. In my experience, it depends as much on when you sail as to what the passenger mix may be on any ship.

I don't see any problem at all with bringing an infant on a Carnival cruise. I've never witnessed any passenger or crew making an issue about somebody's baby, in the dining rooms or anywhere else.

I agree with others about adoption, and I hope it all works out great for you. Not just cruising, but everything.

Edited by Moonarino

Forget Carnival stick with the TARDIS. :)

Congratulations!

Sent from my TARDIS

Ha Michelle! How could I have missed her screen name...shame on me! 24 hours from now, I will be sitting in front of BBC America, eating fish fingers and custard, and traveling through time and space with the new Doctor! Can't wait!!!