Sunshine or RCCL Freedom Of The Seas

Dalton51

I have to disagree on this one...

I went on Independence(sister shop to Freedom) and it was by far my least favorite cruise. It was bigger, but it was very poorly laid out, and as far as the amenities I think Carnival is much more geared towards kids than RC. I agree that it will be nothing like you have experience on Carnival, because it will be boring. RC cruisers seem to have an air about them, just because you paid more for a cruise does not make it better...Also the ship basically shuts down at 9. There is no nightlife to speak of, and the Adults Solarium is so terribly laid out, there is hardly any chairs, and those that are there, are not in the sun! I agree with everyone who says that: You have a longer cruise, less money, and I guarantee you will have a better time on Carnival...

IF Freedom is poorly laid out, WHAT do you have to say about Carnival ships when it comes to lay out? Beyond POOR!

IF Freedom is poorly laid out, WHAT do you have to say about Carnival ships when it comes to lay out? Beyond POOR!

I know. I was scratching my head at that one. :confused: If there's one thing where Royal trumps Carnival is in ship design and passenger flow. Nobody in their objective mind can dispute it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I have sailed on both. This one isn't even freakn' close in my opnion. I whole heartedly recommend Freedom of the Seas. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that is better on Sunshine.

Like Tapi said, the second you step aboard and see that ship in person, you'll know you made the right choice. She is unlike anything Carnival has to offer. The entertainmnet is far better than on Carnival ships, especially the ice show. Freedom still has a live calypso band on the lido deck as well.

Plus, Labadee is heaven on Earth. It's my favorite of all the cruise lines' private destinations. Be sure to ride the Dragon's Breath roller coaster. :)

You think Labadee is better than HMC?

Yes, Labadee is the best of all the private islands I have been to. Princess Cays, HMC & Coco Cay.

Wow, that is all I will say. I thought it was a poor imatation of a Caribbean island. Rocky beach...pretty much rocky everything, water no where near as nice as HMC, thought I was on the set of Gilligan's island.

I know. I was scratching my head at that one. :confused: If there's one thing where Royal trumps Carnival is in ship design and passenger flow. Nobody in their objective mind can dispute it.

Very easy to dispute. Carnival ships are much better laid out than RC. The Adults only deck are a prime example, where there is a HUGE difference. The others being the general flow to the buffet, and the placement of the MDR and main show lounges...

I know I'm not the OP, but I think both have their appeals. HMC has an awesome beach/water, and has a great buffet layout.

Labadee has a more rustic feel, and there are more things to do there, not to mention the Zipline is pretty awesome!

I will gladly go to both agian :cool:

I know I'm not the OP, but I think both have their appeals. HMC has an awesome beach/water, and has a great buffet layout.

Labadee has a more rustic feel, and there are more things to do there, not to mention the Zipline is pretty awesome!

I did not say I did not like it, I just think there is no comparison between the two. I would agree with rustic , which prompted my Giligan's island comment. It's nice but not a shadow of HMC which is easily our most favorite port.

To put it in perspective, we had new cruisers with us when we sailed on the Oasis in March and then sailed with us on the Splendor in August. As we were on the tender going back to the ship at HMC, all six of them commented and said, not this is what cruising in the Caribbean is all about.

I will certainly give you the zipline is pretty cool.

That is what I love about Labadee. The rustic feel. Since I live in the Caribbean, crystal clear water alone, does not do it for me.

Edited by Topo Gigio

Yes, by far. HMC is beautiful, but it is my 3rd favorite behind Labadee and Castaway Cay.

Wow, that is all I will say. I thought it was a poor imatation of a Caribbean island. Rocky beach...pretty much rocky everything, water no where near as nice as HMC, thought I was on the set of Gilligan's island.

Rocky Beach? Yeah, the large East facing beach is like that, but apparently you did not go to Columbus Cove where it is all smooth white sand on the beach and on the sea bed.

Yes, by far. HMC is beautiful, but it is my 3rd favorite behind Labadee and Castaway Cay.

Rocky Beach? Yeah, the large East facing beach is like that, but apparently you did not go to Columbus Cove where it is all smooth white sand on the beach and on the sea bed.

Did go over but later in the day. Fair enough on the likes, it is all about what makes your boat float! (pun intended):rolleyes:

One day longer on Sunshine doesn't make it better. RCCL is a whole different cup of tea. I feel like there is more to do and so much prettier. As everyone has said , you'll see the difference the second you step on board. That itinerary is not my favorite though. So decide if the ship or the itinerary is more important. RCCL is our family favorite but I am still excited for my upcoming cruise next month on Breeze. I'll suffer through eight days on any ship lol:p

Sunshine is a nice enough ship, everything I have seen from her renovation (the increased guest numbers notwithstanding) leads me to believe that she is very much improved since she was the Destiny.

That being said, Freedom is by a wide margin the better ship. It's not even a fair comparison IMO. FOS is almost 60,000 tons larger with many more features that Sunshine doesn't have.

Freedom's pool deck is much better. Her adults only area (The Solarium) is much larger, has a big pool, two huge cantilevered whirlpools, and a bar area. She has two big main pools, plus the kid's water park with its own pool.

Freedom has the large rock climbing wall, Flowrider, ice skating/show rink, and the centerpiece Royal Promenade.

Interior, OV and balcony cabin sizes are very similar between the two, and Freedom offers more suite options for those seeking such accommodations. She also has the rooms that have the view into the promenade, which is a nice way to get a "view" at a bargain price.

The specialty restaurants and bars are probably a toss up depending on your tastes. But the buffet area on FOS is much bigger than the one on Sunshine, so casual dining would be more enjoyable.

There is no nightlife to speak of, and the Adults Solarium is so terribly laid out, there is hardly any chairs, and those that are there, are not in the sun! I agree with everyone who says that: You have a longer cruise, less money, and I guarantee you will have a better time on Carnival...

Sunshine is a nice enough ship, everything I have seen from her renovation (the increased guest numbers notwithstanding) leads me to believe that she is very much improved since she was the Destiny.

That being said, Freedom is by a wide margin the better ship. It's not even a fair comparison IMO. FOS is almost 60,000 tons larger with many more features that Sunshine doesn't have.

Freedom's pool deck is much better. Her adults only area (The Solarium) is much larger, has a big pool, two huge cantilevered whirlpools, and a bar area. She has two big main pools, plus the kid's water park with its own pool.

Freedom has the large rock climbing wall, Flowrider, ice skating/show rink, and the centerpiece Royal Promenade.

Interior, OV and balcony cabin sizes are very similar between the two, and Freedom offers more suite options for those seeking such accommodations. She also has the rooms that have the view into the promenade, which is a nice way to get a "view" at a bargain price.

The specialty restaurants and bars are probably a toss up depending on your tastes. But the buffet area on FOS is much bigger than the one on Sunshine, so casual dining would be more enjoyable.

Well...

I have to disagree on this one...

I went on Independence(sister shop to Freedom) and it was by far my least favorite cruise. It was bigger, but it was very poorly laid out, and as far as the amenities I think Carnival is much more geared towards kids than RC. I agree that it will be nothing like you have experience on Carnival, because it will be boring. RC cruisers seem to have an air about them, just because you paid more for a cruise does not make it better...Also the ship basically shuts down at 9. There is no nightlife to speak of, and the Adults Solarium is so terribly laid out, there is hardly any chairs, and those that are there, are not in the sun! I agree with everyone who says that: You have a longer cruise, less money, and I guarantee you will have a better time on Carnival...

When did you cruise? How long was your cruise? I was on the Independence last December on an 8 night Caribbean.

I didn't think it was poorly laid out. I found the two double banks of elevators fore and aft alleviate a lot more congestion as opposed to the standard single bank of elevators fore, mid and aft. I really liked the promenade even though it made me feel like I was in a mall more than I was on a cruise ship. I found plenty of night life. In fact, I found multiple dance clubs packed. Boleros, the latin club was hoping real late, as well as the Raven club. And for some reason, i have no idea, Karaoke is like king on the cruise ship. Its always going.

Anyways, OP, if money is a huge concern, stick with Carnival. You will almost always get more bang for your buck by sticking with Carnival. But, if you're willing to pay a little extra to experience what another cruise line has to offer, you won't be disappointed. You'll get to see how Royal Caribbean (or any other line) prioritizes. Royal Caribbean wins out on their ship amenities, while in my opinion, Carnival does not venture too far from the standards. I mean, on the Freedom, you've got ice rinks, you've got flowriders, you've got the promenade, you've got parades, you've got rock walls. I would have to agree with this poster, that Carnival is probably better for kids. It just radiates fun moreso than Royal Caribbean.

Very easy to dispute. Carnival ships are much better laid out than RC. The Adults only deck are a prime example, where there is a HUGE difference. The others being the general flow to the buffet, and the placement of the MDR and main show lounges...

There are some things that are subjective like food and entertainment, but when it comes to space to passenger ratio, as well as passenger flow, the debate becomes more objective.

Because the Freedom and Oasis class are much bigger, Royal engineered them specifically to handle the crowds pretty much from the ground up. Not only the ships, but also the terminals from where they cruise. They feel spacious, and the passenger lines are minimized thanks to their design. There are no dead ends that cause bottle necks, and they don't have that "can't get from here to there without going to a different deck" that plagues so many Carnival ships. More importantly, Royal doesn't pack passengers in a ship the same way that Carnival does. Space to passenger ratio is much more favorable on the Freedom, specially when compared to the Sunshine which has one of the most dismal space to passenger ratios in the entire cruise industry. And that's a hard fact that can't be disputed.

About the MDR? Carnival's decision to put one by the atrium and another one in the back, connected by a galley that effectively blocks that entire deck for passenger flow, is one of the most notorious poor concepts of pretty much all ships in the Carnival ships, except for the Spirt class.

The buffet? The islands concept on Royal is specifically designed to create better passenger flow and reduced passengers standing in long lines, which is normally the case with Carnival's buffet layout which forces everybody to stand in the same line (and which also encourages the infamous line cutters who want "only one item" located farther down the buffet line). :rolleyes:.

The Serenity Area on the Sunshine? Looks beautiful in pictures, until you realize that it's overlooking the main pool deck, and when the DJ is playing music, the hairy chest contest is in full swing, or they are blasting music videos from the big screen, the Serenity Deck is less than serene unless you're wearing ear plugs. Another nice concept poorly executed.

Main Lounge? You can't say with a straight face that the newly redesigned main lounge on the Sunshine is superior to the one on the Freedom. They eliminated one deck, cut theater capacity (while adding hundreds of cabins to the ship), and replaced the traditional seating with cheap removable chairs. :confused:. Please tell me that you're joking when you say that's an improvement over the Freedom's full theater.

Anything else that needs to be easily disputed?

Edited by Tapi

Well...

Lol. I laughed at the same thing. This is the Freedom Class Solarium. The chairs look pretty sunny to me. I gotta wonder if the person who said otherwise was even on this ship class.

ry%3D400

Cruzaholic41 beat me to it. As you can see, the Freedom Class Solarium is a very nice area.