NCL Pearl or Ruby Princess

lauren0309

I had to change the month we were going to go to Alaska from May to September because of my boyfriend's job. So these are the 2 ships I've narrowed it down to. And we would also be going round trip from Seattle since airfare is much cheaper.

NCL Pearl

Seattle, SeaDay, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle

or

Ruby Princess (I've been on this ship before to the Caribbbean)

Seattle, SeaDay, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, SeaDay, Victoria, Seattle

They are very similar except for Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. So is one itinerary better than the other. The direction seems a little different. Price was also very similar. Can't decide.

Did you compare the port times for each itinerary?

Make sure you have enough time in each port for any planned activities.

p.s. Vancouver isn't far from Seattle. Many people fly in/out of Seatac then take a transfer to Vancouver ....cruiseline transfer, Amtrak Cascades train, Amtrak bus, Quickcoach, Bolt Bus, or one-way rental car.

Did you compare the port times for each itinerary?

Make sure you have enough time in each port for any planned activities.

p.s. Vancouver isn't far from Seattle. Many people fly in/out of Seatac then take a transfer to Vancouver ....cruiseline transfer, Amtrak Cascades train, Amtrak bus, Quickcoach, Bolt Bus, or one-way rental car.

I've used Greyhound twice this year, and cheap too. :) Trip in a couple weeks, $39 for 2.

I had to change the month we were going to go to Alaska from May to September because of my boyfriend's job. So these are the 2 ships I've narrowed it down to. And we would also be going round trip from Seattle since airfare is much cheaper.

NCL Pearl

or

Seattle, SeaDay, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, SeaDay, Victoria, Seattle

They are very similar except for Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. So is one itinerary better than the other. The direction seems a little different. Price was also very similar. Can't decide.

The big difference is your glacier. With Tracy Arm, I highly recommend the grossly superior add on ship tour. This would add approx $200pp.

Go further with your research and determine what you are going to do in ports, and then compare port times. IF these aren't the same week, that comes into play as well.

One ship sails Sept. 6 and the other Sept. 7. Port times are almost the same, vary by an hour.

It sounds like you are going to have to make the decision based on your glacier sailing? Determine what you want out of your trip? Glacier bay, you see at least 4 glaciers, sometimes 5 in Sept. With Tracy Arm, at most 2 glaciers, and without the ship add on tour, may get no view, or a miles off partial view.

One ship sails Sept. 6 and the other Sept. 7. Port times are almost the same, vary by an hour.

I recommend the Ruby. I prefer GB to TA, and having sailed both lines, it's my opinion Princess is vastly superior to NCL.

I can't speak about NCL never having sailed on that line. Did take Ruby's initial transatlantic from Venice to Fort Lauderdale. Loved the ship! Hopefully it has been kept up since we went a number of years ago. One favorite was Vines..wine, sushi and tapas a a nice size window to view outside.

We sailed the Pearl on the same itinerary and found it wonderful. I was not happy with any of the port times on this cruise, except for Skagway, but since they are both about equal, why have two sea days and miss Glacier Bay?. NCL does a good job in Alaska.

If this is your one time there, or even first time there, I would not miss Glacier Bay. Maybe the Ruby is a nicer ship, but the Pearl is no slouch, but the Ruby's itinerary just doesn't match up to the Pearl's.

Cheers

Len

I've had sailed several times on each line, both are great. Having said that, Princess will have a naturalist onboard to provide commentary when you are in scenic areas or if whales, bears, etc... are spotted. They will also do lectures that are replayed via TV. There will be a National Parks Ranger pointing out critters and providing commentary while the Pearl is in Glacier Bay.

As mentioned, this one comes down to Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm, and as Budget Queen suggested, if you take NCL, you can take a small boat into Tracy Arm from Juneau. Of course if your wallet is deep enough you may be able to fly through Glacier Bay while in Juneau if you take Princess.

For me, it is so close that a significant price difference would likely sway my decision.

NCL Pearl

or

If Glacier Bay is a big deciding factor, why not consider the Princess ship that is sailing to Glacier Bay (Crown next year?) instead of the Ruby with Tracy Arm?

With the Crown, the stop in Ketchikan seems pretty short. The ships leaves by 12:30 p.m.

True, but there will be compromises with any itinerary. I've done both of the Princess Seattle round trip itineraries, and have enjoyed both. Depending on what you want to do in Ketchikan, it might be worth the shorter port time in order to go to Glacier Bay. It's all a matter of YOUR priorities.

The short stop won't do in Ketchikan on the Crown. I want to go to Totem Pole Park, see the Lumberjack show and have time to walk around the shops at Creek street.

If you are doing the regular sailing of the Pearl, then that, probably, isn't going to cut it either. Port time is 6-1:30a. The option would be to get the 6:25a silver bus, with the Totem Bight priority (if that is what you are referring to? There is also Saxman? ) If you are doing the last sailing, you have added issues with a lot less daylight on any late port days, and tours not running.

Day 1

Seattle, Washington- opens in a new window -- 4:00 pm

Day 2

At Sea -- --

Day 3

Juneau, Alaska- opens in a new window 2:00 pm 10:00 pm

Day 4

Skagway, Alaska- opens in a new window 7:00 am 8:15 pm

Day 5

Glacier Bay- opens in a new window -- --

Day 6

Ketchikan, Alaska- opens in a new window 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Day 7

Victoria, British Columbia- opens in a new window 6:00 pm 11:59 pm

Day 8

Seattle, Washington- opens in a new window

We're in Ketchikan from 8 to 6. I don't know what itinerary on Pearl you were looking at? This is the 2015 itinerary.

Day 1

Day 2

At Sea -- --

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

We're in Ketchikan from 8 to 6. I don't know what itinerary on Pearl you were looking at? This is the 2015 itinerary.

I'm on the Pearl tomorrow.

We've done the Glacier Bay itinerary 4 times on NCL and the Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier itinerary 5 times on NCL. Both itineraries are great, but if choosing just one, and maybe not having the opportunity to go again I would always choose Glacier Bay. And we LOVE NCL!

Day 1

Day 2

At Sea -- --

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

As much as I have enjoyed my Princess sailings in Alaska I would definitely pick the Pearl with Glacier Bay and the above port times. Juneau is a bit short but still time for a whale watching trip :D