Diamond Drink Vouchers ... Tipping Guidelines?

My upcoming cruise will be the first time I sailed since they added the drink vouchers. When you use the diamond vouchers that are loaded on your sea pass card, does the bartender present you with a slip to sign where you can add a gratuity? If not, do you recommend carrying some cash for a gratuity for that before-dinner drink? And what is the recommended amount of tip?

My upcoming cruise will be the first time I sailed since they added the drink vouchers. When you use the diamond vouchers that are loaded on your sea pass card, does the bartender present you with a slip to sign where you can add a gratuity? If not, do you recommend carrying some cash for a gratuity for that before-dinner drink? And what is the recommended amount of tip?

I tipped with cash last month....bartender took very good care of us as we went back to the same bar every night.

I always tip however on my August Enchantment cruise the bartender was not friendly at all. I asked to use the voucher (on sea pass) for a martini and he said it had to be on the rocks and he measure a one once pour.....I felt like a charity case....So I never tried again and went to the Cl dl where I was treated with respect.

I really hope this clown was just having a bad day and this isn't the usual treatment we can expect when using the D+ vouchers

Do you normally tip the bt's in the dl/cl................

absolutely. Depending on how many drinks either myself or my family had, I'd tip at the end of the night, at least $1/per drink and if they were attentive, friendly or funny and we enjoyed their service, I'd add $5 or 10.

Guest maddycat
Do you normally tip the bt's in the dl/cl................

We've been cruising on the Explorer for several years. The Explorer doesn't have a Diamond Lounge, but has a Diamond Event. Therefore, there isn't a bartender, but there are bar servers. We always tip them at the end of the cruise.

When we cruise on the Explorer in Oct. we will be using the vouchers and plan on tipping the bartenders per drink.

Sailed on the Oasis in July.

Used the three drink vouchers. Was not given a "slip" - even one that said it was no-charge. After the first night I carried some $1 bills and tipped the server. It was obviously appreciated I tipped $1 after the first glass of wine; took another one with me to dinner and tipped again. My second glass was a "good one!"

Also, yes have always tipped the servers in the Diamond and Concierge lounge - usually at the end of the week.

I see from you signature, you going on Majesty in Sept. There is a great bartender at the schooner bar. his name is Alshiq (not sure of spelling). He was great. we always went to him.

Due to the number of D, D+ & P on the Adventure TA in April this year, the DL was closed (and the CL was a zoo which was very frustrating to us as suite guests) so the nightly cocktail hour was held in the Imperial Lounge so I tipped each time we were served a drink, so this will be the same when I get to use the vouchers.

Edited by peteukmcr

why not???? If you're using the DL. you should tip the staff, especially if you're being served.

We feel that the drinks are a hard earned perk which have already cost a lot of $'s in cruise fares over the years.

The drinks are free and a perk so if we tipped and the experience therefore cost us money it takes this 'free' and 'perk' away. I know many will not agree with us but that's our view and reasoning.

We feel that the drinks are a hard earned perk which have already cost a lot of $'s in cruise fares over the years.

The drinks are free and a perk so if we tipped and the experience therefore cost us money it takes this 'free' and 'perk' away. I know many will not agree with us but that's our view and reasoning.

The drinks are a hard earned perk but this isn't France. Tips aren't included and are expected for good service regardless if it's free or not.

You think the servers shouldn't get paid because they are serving you free drinks

Edited by SeaUs

The drinks are a perk not the service. Those people work hard so you can enjoy your "perk". Are you really that person? Really?

Seriously? You feel that the bar staff should work for free so as to not diminish your perk? That sounds like people who only tip the bill amount in a restaurant on Buy One Get One free night, instead of tipping on the amount before they remove the free entree.

Since you live in multiple countries, you should take the time and interest to understand the compensation structure for service employees in various countries or situations. While its well known that servers in some European countries are compensated fully by salary, and tips are just a "nice" extra, this is not the case everywhere.

In the US, and especially in the cruise industry, employers of servers compensate with the understanding that a large proportion of compensation will come from tips.

This is just the way it is. If you choose to ignore this, you are cheating these employees out of their fair compensation. Its the drinks that are free, not the great service.

I'm always surprised (although I don't know why) that someone is unwilling to give a server $1 a drink knowing it's the cultural norm. After all, they have enough money to "earn" the perk. What's another dollar a drink to have that perk hand delivered by someone providing a service?

When in Rome....or in this case France....or on a ship that is culturally American operated.

Gina