MSC Surprises....and Experience Packages in NA?

Kelownabccan

I guess the three tier pricing will come to NA soon???? and what would be the surprises....anyone want to guess....the winner gets " a pat on the back from the cruise critic blog members"...lol

Thursday, September 4, 2014 | 2:00 PM ET

Don't miss all the surprise announcements from MSC Cruises including new MSC Experience Packages, which give you several options for inclusive cruising at a great value.

Learn why MSC is the fastest growing cruise line in the world and earn a chance to win a free Cruise in the prestigious MSC Yacht Club, a VIP private and exclusive enclave onboard MSC Divina.

I guess the three tier pricing will come to NA soon???? and what would be the surprises....anyone want to guess....the winner gets " a pat on the back from the cruise critic blog members"...lol

Don't miss all the surprise announcements from MSC Cruises including new MSC Experience Packages, which give you several options for inclusive cruising at a great value.

Learn why MSC is the fastest growing cruise line in the world and earn a chance to win a free Cruise in the prestigious MSC Yacht Club, a VIP private and exclusive enclave onboard MSC Divina.

Where did you see this info Kelow?? Is it in the newsletter that I've signed up for months ago and still haven't received??

Suppose it had to happen in the US. It has been implemented for a while in some countries and fairly recently in the UK.

They bill it as more choice but really from what I've seen it is an opportunity to raise prices. The Bella (basic package) is slightly up on last years pricing but takes away something's that were included in the fare, so less for more. Yacht Club looks pretty much unchanged. For UK bookings, they now have the option to change bookings without penalty on Fantastica or higher which is good news. However neither Fantastica or Aurea exactly suit me. It is suppossed to be about more choice but just seems to be trying to package things up and giving you less choice for more money. It also makes it more confusing when booking.

Still booked on the Diva back to Europe in the Spring.....it looks like they are trying to change things up here in NA again....will keep you updated as things progress....we are also looking at a TransPacific cruise from the West Coast over to Sydney via Fiji or Tahiti....for next Fall.....there are 6 ships now going over each Fall.....from Van, Seattle, SFO or LA.....Ken

P and O brought in a similar thing last year, i think it may go down like a lead balloon in NA.

Hi Ken ... how are things with you guys ?

ken ... Be interesting to hear what the changes are, seems here they have taken a decision not to allow bookings by Solo cruisers at any price! still appears that the Left hand does not know what the Right hand is doing ... remember what Andre said about the photocopies he wanted ? seems that they bring in people to improve things and then tie their hands and feet together.

Why employ a Manager if you are not prepared to let him or her manage.

The surprise is you now get LESS choice for greater cost and have experiences you don't want included and you can't ditch them.

I've got a cruise booked on Sinfonia later this year in a balcony suite on deck 12.

iF you want balcony the only choice is deck 10, directly under the pool deck (NO THANKS) or Deck 12.

The cabins on deck 12 are only sold with the aurea experience, which includes the Allegrssimo AI package and a spa treatment.

Now I don't mind the AI package but spa treatment (Not really my thing)

The deck 10 cabins come with the Fantastica (they've now dropped the drinks package from this probably because so many people tried to upgrade it from the cheers to the allegrissimo) or Aurea, so there is a small choice there.

The BELLA Experince is really basic

NO Free breakast from roomservice,

NO bed turn down service

Full details available here

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/new-experience-categories.aspx

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Here's the 1st surprise, Europe gets the full Allegrissimo whilst USA gets the Cheers. unless it's changed in the USA from this when this article was written

USA

Next highest is Aurea which is only available on balcony cabins and suites. The level includes everything in Bella and Fantastica but with added benefits like free breakfast in your cabin, priority boarding, unlimited drinks with meals, access to a private sun deck and a great spa package with unrestricted use of the Thermal Area throughout the sailing.

EUROPE

Put well-being, pampering and peace of mind at the heart of your cruise. In addition to all the features of ‘Bella’ and ‘Fantastica’, our ‘Aurea’ fares offer a series of relaxing benefits for both body and mind. Priority boarding means you’ll soon be relaxing in an elegant cabin where you’ll find a set of free wellbeing products as well as a complimentary bathrobe and slippers. Dine at the time of your choice in a reserved area of the restaurant and enjoy 24-hour unlimited drinks*. Improve your tan as you bask on an exclusive – adults only - private sun deck. Best of all, take advantage of a fantastic spa package including a spa welcome cocktail, one massage of your choice from the spa menu, tanning shower, private medical consultation with spa Doctor and unrestricted use of the Thermal Area throughout your cruise. Set sail for pure relaxation.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a video about the new packages here in NA......Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Yacht Club.....start date for the new prices....Sept...23.....some come with free drink packages....

Book a balcony for $299 ....a two day surprise promo...I think it comes with 12 free drinks....

Special air and cruise packages on the Divina in Europe....cost about $1899

Looks like MSC is starting to get the NA market shaken up somewhat.....

Not sure about the Bella category though....maybe cheap lead in price but comes with hardly any of the normal mainstream cruise extras....it free room service etc....

I'm just off the Preziosa where an interesting thing happened. I was making enquiries about the DVD they make while you're aboard (I'd featured in it so was pricing it). The bloke at the desk in the photography section drew my attention to a package offered whereby you could purchase 3 DVD's - 1 of the cruise, 1 of the ship and I can't remember the other - for a special price €49.90. He asked me what card I had so I assumed he meant what level I was on. I told him I was Gold so he said that the price would be €35. I didn't have my cruise card on me at the time and DH is only on Silver so I said we'd come back later when I would use my card.

When we went back to purchase the package it was extremely busy at the desk. We spoke with another person and explained that the older man further down the desk (who it transpired was the manager) had given us a quote for a discounted price. We were asked if we were on "Experiences". I explained that that hadn't been introduced in our country yet (it'll apply from winter sailings) so he said we couldn't receive the discount as we weren't on the list so it wasn't in the system. He went and spoke with the manager, came back and said sorry but no, we couldn't have the reduced price.

Now, as it happens, we were in YC which is an Experiences level in itself which, I think, should have had us on the list. I decided not to bother. We were actually going to buy 3 photos as well at the time but we walked without buying anything.

We returned to YC. When the Concierge asked if everything was ok we explained what had happened. She immediately rang down to the photography desk. When she hung up she told us to go down and see the manager. We did and then's when we saw it was the same man who'd quoted us the discounted price originally!! He gave the discount, apologized and gave us a beautiful picture of the ship and a disk of 50 photos to make amends.

I have no idea still if the "Experiences" list is anything to do with the new pricing levels but I do know that if you're booking on the website some cruises have different rates e.g. Early Booking and I see 1 is called MSC Experiences.

Hi Bea ... Hope that you enjoyed the cruise apart from the photo issue, you are entitled as you thought to an 8% discount for being at Gold level when purchasing photo`s and DVD`s. There is nothing within the Fantastica package and above that i have read that allows for any further discount.

I would put it down once again to the Left hand not knowing what the Right hand is doing.

Ken ... I believe that Costa also have a similar price structure to the MSC one.

Hi Sid, we had an absolutely fabulous time.

With regard to the discount; it wasn't the 8% that was at issue. There was a package for 3 DVD's at a price of €49.90 advertised on the desk at the photography section. I was asked (by the manager as he was at the desk at the time) what card I had - I said Gold. He then held up the ad to me, made an X sign across the printed price and said it would be €35 for me which is a discount of almost 30%! When I returned to buy the package the guy at the desk had a printout which he consulted and said I wasn't on "the list"?? and used the term Experiences which made no sense to me whatsoever. That's what ticked me off.

I'd also witnessed a situation at the Concierge desk earlier that day to do with the same subject of photos. A box was being dropped off containing the pics that had been taken when the Captain had visited the Top Sail Lounge. The girl from photography was explaining the pricings: 1 photo €19.90 2 photos €29.90. The Concierge asked what about 3 photos? The answer was 1 + 2 (no extra discount). The next question was how much for 4. I pitched in that it would have to be 2 + 2 but, no, the girl would have to go back to her manager with that one! Later on that day, as I had decided to buy 2 photos, I spoke with a different Concierge and he had no information regarding the discounted price for the second photo!!!! Now THAT'S a case of the left hand etc :D

I've come to realize that if you ask three different members of staff the same question you'll get three different answers and the chances of any of them being right are slim :rolleyes:

Hi Bea ... I have to agree with you about what you say with regard to asking people the same question and getting different answers! sometimes it is best to wait until either the 2nd last day or even the last day for the deals.

On the Divina repo to Miami we bought 5 and got 5 Free which was great, but! and with MSC there is always a but, one of the pictures we wanted was not included in the deal because it was taken during the day at embarkation? still cannot get my head around that one even now.

What was the list that you did not have your name on ? maybe it was people who had pre ordered it but not yet picked them up ?

Hi Bea ... I have to agree with you about what you say with regard to asking people the same question and getting different answers! sometimes it is best to wait until either the 2nd last day or even the last day for the deals.

I was buying them on the last day but they only offered half price on a second photo.

On the Divina repo to Miami we bought 5 and got 5 Free which was great, but! and with MSC there is always a but, one of the pictures we wanted was not included in the deal because it was taken during the day at embarkation? still cannot get my head around that one even now.

Yes, I experienced that, too. The offer would only apply to photos taken at the same time!! I wouldn't mind but they have to throw out the ones not purchased. Surely they'd be better off selling the flippin' things at a reduced price. After all, they've to the trouble of printing them. i mean, what's the point?

What was the list that you did not have your name on ? maybe it was people who had pre ordered it but not yet picked them up ?

The guy at the desk had a printout - it may have been of all the cabin numbers. He referred to me not having the "Experiences" benefits - or something to that effect. It's not easy quoting people who's first language isn't English and you're trying to glean what exactly they're trying to say. By interpreting it you're left with a memory of what you think they said or meant but is impossible to quote!

MSC is offering our customers an incredible two-day sale on balcony cabins: Prices start at just $299 per person for a balcony cabin on select last-minute Caribbean departures when you book by Wednesday, September 10

and it includes free drinks if I listened to the video right.....

still booked on repo back.....with catergory B2.....who knows ....free drinks for 20 days back.....I wish.....Ken

Still booked on the Diva back to Europe in the Spring.....it looks like they are trying to change things up here in NA again....will keep you updated as things progress....we are also looking at a TransPacific cruise from the West Coast over to Sydney via Fiji or Tahiti....for next Fall.....there are 6 ships now going over each Fall.....from Van, Seattle, SFO or LA.....Ken

Sounds like a great idea!:D

We also started looking at cruising instead of flying with transatlantic cruises to Europe each spring, and returning each fall to America on another transatlantic!

I dislike long flights, and we have family and friends in Europe to visit, so this seems to be a great way to go!:D