Drink Package- to do or not to do?

So we excited for our cruise aboard Allure of the Seas in December. At first glance the thought of paying for the ultimate drink package seems insane, but the more I think about the more I think it's worth considering. I really don't want to be on a cruise where I've spent all this money and then be worried about having a drink or two while on board.

My understanding is that now not everyone in the room needs to be on a package?

I'm assuming "sharing" is a big no no?

It's my wife and 2 kids...if my wife and I got the ultimate drink package is it possible we can share with our kids? Or will they definitely need a package of their own?

The prices are just crazy!

So we excited for our cruise aboard Allure of the Seas in December. At first glance the thought of paying for the ultimate drink package seems insane, but the more I think about the more I think it's worth considering. I really don't want to be on a cruise where I've spent all this money and then be worried about having a drink or two while on board.

My understanding is that now not everyone in the room needs to be on a package? Correct.

I'm assuming "sharing" is a big no no? Correct.

It's my wife and 2 kids...if my wife and I got the ultimate drink package is it possible we can share with our kids? Not without breaking the rules. Or will they definitely need a package of their own? Anyone who has a drink needs a package of their own or has to pay individually.

The prices are just crazy! You are not required to buy a package.

See answers in RED above.

Edited by clarea

Thanks for the feedback...

I'm not one to cheat, but if I'm paying over $900 for a drink package for my wife and I is it bad if I to want to slip my kid an apple juice when I can? Is it something they closely monitor?

:confused:

Here are my thoughts. Our last cruise was last October 2013. They had just rolled out the drink packages shortly before that. When I saw the prices I almost fainted. At that time, each person in the room was required to purchase the package. I don't drink, my husband does, so there was no sense in purchasing the package. We had been on a cruise 2 years prior so I had a decent idea of what his bar tab would be. He told me he had a really awesome bartender that took really great care of him and his bar bill every night was $18.88 (and he was there every night with his brothers until 3am-:eek:). I was OK with the price so I didn't pay it much mind. This past cruise he never found that special bartender and when I saw his bar bill, I almost fainted. By the end of the cruise even if I had purchased the drink package for him AND for myself and not drunk anything it would have been cheaper! Another good thing about buying the package is you can pay for it before you cruise and not have to constantly keep an eye on your bill and what you drink. And this is coming from someone who said they would never, ever purchase a drink package...and now I am wholeheartedly endorsing it!

Celebrity's is much better because it includes bottled water, soda and fresh squeezed juice.

We avoid the RC one because it does not.

According to their website, the Ultimate Package does include water, soda, juice and specialty coffee. It's a combination of the Premium Pkg and the Royal Replenish Package.

Edited by Maybaybie10

Here are my thoughts. Our last cruise was last October 2013. They had just rolled out the drink packages shortly before that. When I saw the prices I almost fainted. At that time, each person in the room was required to purchase the package. I don't drink, my husband does, so there was no sense in purchasing the package. We had been on a cruise 2 years prior so I had a decent idea of what his bar tab would be. He told me he had a really awesome bartender that took really great care of him and his bar bill every night was $18.88 (and he was there every night with his brothers until 3am-:eek:). I was OK with the price so I didn't pay it much mind. This past cruise he never found that special bartender and when I saw his bar bill, I almost fainted. By the end of the cruise even if I had purchased the drink package for him AND for myself and not drunk anything it would have been cheaper! Another good thing about buying the package is you can pay for it before you cruise and not have to constantly keep an eye on your bill and what you drink. And this is coming from someone who said they would never, ever purchase a drink package...and now I am wholeheartedly endorsing it!

Thanks much for the feedback- as much as it pains me, I think I'm leaning towards the Ultimate for my wife and I and then the basic juice package ($20 a day I think) for the 2 kids.

I don't suppose they ever discount this stuff or offer some sort of incentive to bring the price down?

My understanding is that now not everyone in the room needs to be on a package?

I'm assuming "sharing" is a big no no?

It's my wife and 2 kids...if my wife and I got the ultimate drink package is it possible we can share with our kids? Or will they definitely need a package of their own?

The prices are just crazy!

If you are considering having a "drink or two" the packages are most certainly not worth it from a financial perspective.

Thanks much for the feedback- as much as it pains me, I think I'm leaning towards the Ultimate for my wife and I and then the basic juice package ($20 a day I think) for the 2 kids.

I don't suppose they ever discount this stuff or offer some sort of incentive to bring the price down?

I have never seen a package discount offered. Occasionally, they will have a booking promotion where they will include a drink package for booking the cruise. However, this seems to happen far more frequently on Celebrity than it does with RCI.

Juice is free at breakfast, so depending on how many juices a day your kids drink you may not need it. You could take some extra glasses back to your room or even pour into a water bottle you bring with you.

But there is a big difference between the free orange juice that they serve for breakfast and the fresh squeezed orange juice that they offer for a price and include in the Replenish package. And on Allure the fresh squeezed orange juice is available all day in the Vitality Spa bar from 7 AM to 8 PM.

Talked to a guy at RCI the other day and he told me that one way to save was not to purchase the package the first day and you can wait a day or two.

That's true, you don't have to buy from the first day of the cruise, and then you would not have to pay for those days.

If you are going to be on Allure the freestyle soda machines might be an option for the kids, our son really liked doing the Dasani flavored waters. Think the soda package is something like $5 per day for kids. No "juice" but the flavored water is probably not worse for them than juice if they wanted to try it.

To buy or not to buy is a tough call, its a lot of money but really if you just sit down and sketch out roughly what you think you will drink you can make the decision pretty simple.

For example, I am typically fine with drinking water/ice tea/lemonade and don't really drink soda so from a non-alcoholic beverage standpoint there is nothing I feel the need to pay for. Typically on a cruise I stick to beer, might go 3-4 in an afternoon and maybe a couple in the evening. 5-6 beers * ~ $6 = $30-$40 depending on roundings, tips, etc.

That puts me at borderline to buy the beer package, however, on a port day I will usually be off the ship so those days I wouldn't be getting as much on board, so overall not worth it to me.

On my most recent cruise though I knew we were going with a friend that likes to drink mixed drinks and a lot of them, so I went ahead and bought the premium package (as I said above no non-alcohol drink costs for me so ultimate isn't worth the upgrade). Sure enough we averaged about 12 mixed drinks a day at closer to $10 per drink, easily saved money on the deal.

If you like to start the day with a Mimosa/Bloody Mary and end the day with some drinks at dinner and some after dinner beverages than you are almost certainly going to benefit from a package, if you are more likely to just have a couple of drinks by the pool and maybe a glass of wine at dinner then probably not.

That's true, you don't have to buy from the first day of the cruise, and then you would not have to pay for those days.

Wasn't there a 4 day stipulation to that. I thought i saw somewhere that there was basically a 4 day minimum on the drink package.

Wasn't there a 4 day stipulation to that. I thought i saw somewhere that there was basically a 4 day minimum on the drink package.

Yes, a 4-day minimum (except on 3-day cruises) and whenever you start the package, it has to last until the end of the cruise.

Interesting...so just get the drink package starting on day 2 to save the cost of an entire day? I like it....

What are the current prices for hard liquor/wine/water etc.....yes I'm trying to figure out the 'break even point'

Here is a good drink menu:

http://cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

Remember to add 15% to the menu prices for gratuity.

Edited by clarea

According to another thread that was going on recently, you can also purchase the drink package and try it for a couple days . .. if it's not working out to be cost effective you can cancel the package. You will be charged for the drinks you've had up to that point and will be credited the price of the drink package on your Sea Pass.