Cunard Cruise versus Princess?

Duane T

I've finally decided to go on a Cunard cruise on board the Queen Elizabeth. I'm glad Cunard implemented a restrictive smoking policy similar to Princess, but I've recently noticed they had World Cruise segments that matched my destination, cost, and room availability requirements in Asia, Arabia, and Africa. Not sure why Princess didn't do the samething Cunard is doing now with 3 ships. I like that Cunard still allows me to pick my cabin on these World Cruise segments...Princess now assigns rooms just prior to embarkation...which makes a little nervous.

Anyway, I'm looking forward towards my first Cunard cruise...maybe just the start.

Edited by Duane T

We did a 4 night taster last year on Cunard.Loved it and don't see why you wouldn't.:)

Wanted to try Cunard earlier on one of their shorter cruises like the one you went on but we couldn't get our schedules lined up. Then we checked last week and saw this World Cruise segment opened up with a great low price so we decided to book it. With the airfare from Honolulu, this is going to end up as a Around-The-World trip for us anyway, just a lot shorter than the a complete World Cruise timeline.

I've finally decided to go on a Cunard cruise on board the Queen Elizabeth. I'm glad Cunard implemented a restrictive smoking policy similar to Princess, but I've recently noticed they had World Cruise segments that matched my destination, cost, and room availability requirements in Asia, Arabia, and Africa. Not sure why Princess didn't do the samething Cunard is doing now with 3 ships. I like that Cunard still allows me to pick my cabin on these World Cruise segments...Princess now assigns rooms just prior to embarkation...which makes a little nervous.

Anyway, I'm looking forward towards my first Cunard cruise...maybe just the start.

Please explain.

Please explain.

I originally looked a booking a Princess World Cruise segment in Asia. I was not allowed to book a specific room and a room would only be assigned at the time of embarkation. Both the website and 6 Princess phone reps told this to me over the course of 2 months of inquiries.

On Cunard, the similar route on the World Cruise segment was significantly more affordable and I could reserve the specific cabin number/room both online or via Cunard's phone rep.

On Princess, if I wanted to sign up for a specific available cabin, they required me to book the whole World Cruise or one that was significantly of longer duration (like 60 days or more). I understand they want to keep their specific cabins/rooms for anyone who might book the longer and more expensive cruise segments. I chose Cunard's World Cruise segment because they adopted the restricted smoking policy as Princess and they let me get a specific cabin assignment.

Hi there,(to the OP)

Just a brief heads up on Cunards Queen Elizabeth as we did our first cruise with them this July around the eastern med.

Food is good and plentiful, IN Lido and elsewhere, in MDR if you want extra just ask.

Cabins are beautiful as is the rest of the ship. Very clean and classy.

Public areas are very nice too but especially the Commodore Club up on deck 10 at the front overlooking the bows, so classy and elegant.

Drink prices are ok but they absolutely rob you with the price of their wines, however they are really easy going about bringing wine on board, both initially and at each port.

Excursions really expensive but DIY and enjoy the ride.

Clientele are slightly older but fun and all in all a great experience. If you are unhappy with anything, ask and they will help.

I am sure you will love it.

Have a hoot and live life.:D:D:D

Hi there,(to the OP)

Just a brief heads up on Cunards Queen Elizabeth as we did our first cruise with them this July around the eastern med.

Food is good and plentiful, IN Lido and elsewhere, in MDR if you want extra just ask.

Cabins are beautiful as is the rest of the ship. Very clean and classy.

Public areas are very nice too but especially the Commodore Club up on deck 10 at the front overlooking the bows, so classy and elegant.

Drink prices are ok but they absolutely rob you with the price of their wines, however they are really easy going about bringing wine on board, both initially and at each port.

Excursions really expensive but DIY and enjoy the ride.

Clientele are slightly older but fun and all in all a great experience. If you are unhappy with anything, ask and they will help.

I am sure you will love it.

Have a hoot and live life.:D:D:D

Thanks. I appreciate the quick reply.

You really must cruise with every line to find out which you prefer ;) but in all honesty I'm sure Cunard will suit your holiday needs. I love their theatre especially the boxes and you don't have to pay to use them. You only pay if you want the champagne and choc package.

Give it a go. We've been on Elizabeth, QE11 and Victoria. Great ships.

Hopefully those who sail Cunard like to avoid casual attire in the evening.

Evening attire is effective from 6pm. Dressing up elegantly for dinner is one of the great thrills of a Cunard Vacation, yet we also want our passengers to feel relaxed. So each evening our dress code will either be formal or informal. The evening dress code will be specified in your ship’s Daily Programme, which is delivered to your stateroom each day.

On formal nights, passengers wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar. Please be respectful by avoiding the more formal areas of the ship, including our Alternate Dining restaurants.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts, blue or worn denim (for men and women), sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within any of the ship’s public areas.

FORMAL: Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen’s formal wear is available to hire on board. Evening or cocktail dress for ladies.

INFORMAL: Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or stylish separates for ladies. No jeans or shorts.

Mike doesn't wear sandals or sleeveless tops, so it looks like we might survive. And we generally wouldn't wear shorts in the evening because it gets too cold. Cunard has become more laid back lately, which I heard from someone who recently did one of their cruises. We never need a dining room, so that could work for us.

I would love to sail on the QM2 again (first time was with the girlfriends) but DH will not go for it. We did a short cruise on the Queen Victoria and he had to wear a jacket to dinner every night and hated it.

Beautiful ships and the QM2 is an experience in itself, but I guess we will stick to the other mainstream cruise lines.

I would love to sail on the QM2 again (first time was with the girlfriends) but DH will not go for it. We did a short cruise on the Queen Victoria and he had to wear a jacket to dinner every night and hated it.

Being from Hawaii, the only time I ever get to wear a dinner tuxedo is on a cruise (except for my Senior Prom many decades ago) so it's a different and nice deviation from aloha shirts...for me.