Classic - Aged Hand-Cut Manhattan Strip Steak Good?

gemz

Just wondering what the quality of this steak is like? I remember way back a steak that RCCL had that was called "Ranch Steak" and that was not good at all.

IMO, this is basically the Ranch Steak under a different name. Thin, tough, and certainly a very low grade of beef. Order the Chops steak.

My experience is that it's hit and miss, about 50/50. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's close to inedible. I suggest you have a plan B already picked out in case you get a bad one.

I had it one month ago on the Allure in the MDR when all the other entres, were not to my taste.

It was a large cut of steak.

Not the best cut.

Thin, and kinda like a Ponderosa steak, trimmed but some grizzle inside.

Not too bad.

It was cooked the way I like it Medium rare, and was presented still warm.

I probably ate 2/3 of it and lived to talk about it.

Sea Ya

Depends to some extent on the ship. Recently on Freedom, it was small and thick, same shape as a piece of filet. Not as tender as filet, but if ordered rare it was decent, similar to what you might get at Texas Roadhouse.

BTW, my last two specialty steaks, one in Chops the other in Portofino, were close to inedible.

I ordered it once and it was very dry and tough as well. I don't know why they don't switch to a rib eye and offer that daily instead, as it would probably cost them about the same if not less and it is a cut of meat that is much more forgiving if not cooked perfectly even if it is a lower grade as I am sure the classic strip is.

Just back from Explorer, when DS had this every night. And, of course, I took a sample bite every night. He ordered it medium rare, and most nights it was quite good. Yes, strip steak is a thin cut, but we found it flavorful and enjoyable. (One night it wasn't up to par, though.)

Incidentally, we had the filet upgrade one evening, and we were disappointed. Yes, it was a big thick cut of beef, but it wasn't seasoned properly and the texture was off. We weren't impressed and not happy to have spent the money.

Had it twice on Enchantment of the Seas. Disappointing each time even with it cooked medium-rare. Thin and quite tough. The one night they had filet (non-Chops) on the MDR menu it was delicious.

Edited by rhyx