MAY need accessible room??

pattimelt

Long story short. Having surgery with Total Knee Replacement in November. I am on the Crown at the end of January. I am not sure if I will be physically able to get around the ship, etc, alone and/or without assistance.

I have been booked in E316, so I am close to an elevator, but the room itself is not an accessible room. I have never been on the Crown, and don't know what to expect, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Should I look into an accessible room just in case? Or should I just stay where I am and deal with it, since I like where we are located (friends are across the hall!), and if need be, I would be using my walker with a seat in it, and it folds, so getting it into the room wouldn't be a problem.

I just don't want to take an accessible room away from someone that would really need it, you know??

Edited by pattimelt
more info

Personally I think you'll be fine right where you are, especially with friends near by.

Secondly I doubt very seriously that you could get an accessible cabin this late.i have to book an accessible cabin 12-16 months out if I expect to cruise. Good luck with your post-op cruise.:)

The question is, do you think you'll need a scooter to get around? If so, you'll need the accessible cabin as scooters are usually too wide to go through the cabin door and they must be stored in the cabin. If you plan to use a wheelchair or transport chair, you should be OK. A walker with a seat would definitely be OK.

Edited by Pam in CA

I SHOULD be walking at the very least with a cane at 3 months, just because the ship moves. :)

I'm more worried about how far I will have to walk around the ship, and if my knee will be able to handle it, which is why, the more I think about it, I'll be taking my walker just to be on the safe side. I am only 51 years old, but this surgery is scaring the daylights out of me--actually, not the surgery, but the rehab!! I'll still be doing my rehab while I am on the ship, too.

Right before and just after my hip replacement I took my scooter on the Diamond and the Sapphire and was able to get it into the cabin with no problems. It was not the full size scooter but the Go Go Traveler, the one that comes apart in order to travel with it.

If you do all the pre op exercises and post op exercises you should be fine. That was the key to my fast recovery, the exercises. I would bring a walker and a cane. I know that you can rent these scooters and take them on the cruise with you. When I used the scooter I was able to use the tender with it but I do not think that this is possible anymore. But it sure was great getting around the ship. Good luck with the surgery.

Right before and just after my hip replacement I took my scooter on the Diamond and the Sapphire and was able to get it into the cabin with no problems. It was not the full size scooter but the Go Go Traveler, the one that comes apart in order to travel with it.

Good luck with the surgery.

That's more of what I was looking for.. Now I know I will take my walker, no matter what, just to be on the safe side. I think I need to start looking at deck plans so I can figure out the shortest ways to get where I need to go..

You should have space in a regular cabin for your folding walker - at a push maybe even a folding wheelchair (but hopefully you won't need one).

Crown has good level access to theatre and dining room (unlike Grand, Golden & Star) and is fairly easy to get around.

Having a holiday to look forward to should help you get through the surgery, and having friends with you should make things go well.

All the best with the surgery - and have a good holiday too!

I have gone thru knee surgery and there is no need to be afraid. It is VERY important that you work hard at re hab. You would only need an accesible cabin if you need a scooter. DO take your walker with you and use it while the ship is moving. Re hab is the key to a good recovery,

I just returned from Grand Princess Alaska SEA to SEA. I have a torn tendon in my ankle and cannot walk long distances. I rented a scooter from http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ which is an approved provider for Princess. I did not have a HCP cabin. It fit thru the door with no problem. I had room to store it overnight. Our stewart told us that we could call Passenger Services at the end of the day and they would store it overnight and charge it also. This was the best experience that I had on a cruise. I felt I could go with my family anywhere they wanted without calculating how far it was to walk. At dinner I would get valet parking for my scooter. I think it was $179 for a 7 day cruise. the best part is you can request a wheel chair for embarking and when you get to your cabin the scooter is there. When you disembark you take it to an assigned lounge and they have a wheel chair to disembark.

It was wonderful to be able to get around anywhere I wanted. You do not need a HCP cabin unless you need to rent the bigger model for over 250 lbs. I have had both knees and a hip and I will never cruise again without a scooter.

I SHOULD be walking at the very least with a cane at 3 months, just because the ship moves. :)

I'm more worried about how far I will have to walk around the ship, and if my knee will be able to handle it, which is why, the more I think about it, I'll be taking my walker just to be on the safe side. I am only 51 years old, but this surgery is scaring the daylights out of me--actually, not the surgery, but the rehab!! I'll still be doing my rehab while I am on the ship, too.

You may contact "carevacation.com" 877-478-7827, and see what they can do for you, regarding a narrow scooter. :confused::rolleyes:

Cato:)

I see my surgeon on Sept 2 for all the pre exercises, etc. I just can't wait for my knee to be fixed, since they told me when I was 35 that I needed it done, but wouldn't do it until I was 50, and it's taken almost a year to get my primary care doc to send me to ortho and get an appt with that dept and then have the tests done, etc. I think I'm more excited to know that once it's done I will be able to be "normal" again-- I'm sick of not being able to walk around or ride my bike, so even though I'll still be in rehab, I will be celebrating on this cruise!!! And the fun part is that this is a group cruise and I know a LOT of people in our group of 500, and so if I need help, I won't have a problem finding someone to help.

My husband rents a full size scooter when we cruise. We never have a problem with it fitting through the door.....beyond popular belief.:rolleyes: We have never booked a handicap room, no need to.

I think you might find a small scooter to your advantage. It is delivered to your room, ours is usually there by the time we are on board. You leave it in your room at the end of your cruise....very easy process.

Best of luck on your recovery and enjoy your cruise!

You will do just fine. I had total knee replacement two yrs ago at age 70 and came through with flying colors. It is such a relief to be pain free that you will kick yourself for not having it sooner. The therapy afterwards is tough, but you can do it. You will probably be able to get by with just a cane, but take the walker in the event of rough seas. Make sure you have something from your dr stating that you have a metal insert in your body for the airline and ship security. I haven't set the one off on the ship yet, but have set others off. /good luck with your surgery and recovery.

My husband needs to have both knees replaced. He has not seen a surgeon about it yet. Also don't know if it will be one at a time or both at once. I don't know how they do that. Our cruise is Feb 27.

Is this something he should put off until after our cruise is over? How much recovery time does the average person need post surgery? I think he would hate to not be entirely mobile on our cruise. That means no cane, walker or anything else.

If he had the surgery no later than November would he be okay by the end of February? I know everyone heals differently. I am asking about the average time.

When my father started having trouble walking around because of distances we got him a transportation chair. This is like a small, lightweight wheelchair that has to be pushed by someone else. Having the chair available made all the difference in the world, as he was prone to not want to leave his room because of the fear of being too weak to return.

You will know where you stand three weeks before the cruise and can decide then whether to buy one.

My husband needs to have both knees replaced. He has not seen a surgeon about it yet. Also don't know if it will be one at a time or both at once. I don't know how they do that. Our cruise is Feb 27.

Is this something he should put off until after our cruise is over? How much recovery time does the average person need post surgery? I think he would hate to not be entirely mobile on our cruise. That means no cane, walker or anything else.

If he had the surgery no later than November would he be okay by the end of February? I know everyone heals differently. I am asking about the average time.

DO NOT do both knees at the same time!!! Yes, it sounds great, "get it over with all at once". BUT how does he get in and out of bed? Hobble to the bathroom? Exercise both knees?

The post exercises hurt when you first start doing them and if you have both knees done and do the first set of exercises, many (especially men) will wuss out and not do a full-on work-out on the 2nd knee.

When I was doing my exercises, I had to psych myself up to a) finish and b) put everything into it. It takes awhile. And it takes WORK.

Don't worry too much about metal parts. Both DH and I have more than our share and we rarely set off an X-ray. When we do, a simple explanation and occasional wanding suffices.

The same with my various plates, pins & screws.

These are all questions to ask your husband's doctor.

However, unless there is a big need to have it done soon, I would wait until after your cruise as recovery times are never guaranteed.

Edited by caribill

Long story short. Having surgery with Total Knee Replacement in November. I am on the Crown at the end of January. I am not sure if I will be physically able to get around the ship, etc, alone and/or without assistance.

I have been booked in E316, so I am close to an elevator, but the room itself is not an accessible room. I have never been on the Crown, and don't know what to expect, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Should I look into an accessible room just in case? Or should I just stay where I am and deal with it, since I like where we are located (friends are across the hall!), and if need be, I would be using my walker with a seat in it, and it folds, so getting it into the room wouldn't be a problem.

I just don't want to take an accessible room away from someone that would really need it, you know??

I've had both knees replaced. Twice. First time, age 34, i did them together. It was awful. I would NEVER recommend doing it that way. Age 49 I did them separately and it was a totally different experience. (it helped that I also weighed a LOT less...) I would say it took about 2 months for full recovery. That said, I was very well prepared--did lots of exercises to strengthen quad muscles. My doc said they were "like rocks". I was also faithful about exercising afterwards.

I wouldn't think you would need a scooter that far out, but you can always rent one closer to departure if you aren't doing as well as you'd like. The walker might be good. Have you considered a rollator walker? That's the one that has a seat where you can sit if you get tired. My mom has used one of these with great results. (until more recently when she has to use a wheelchair).

In any case, having the cruise to look forward to will give you great incentive to do your rehab!

How is his mobility now? If he hasn't seen a surgeon yet, I'm assuming he can get around ok and without horrible pain? If that's the case, it might be good to wait. But if he's not doing well now, having at least one knee done before the cruise could be beneficial. In that case, I'd do it sooner than later.

As someone else said, these are questions for his doctor to answer.

I've had both knees replaced. Twice. First time, age 34, i did them together. It was awful. I would NEVER recommend doing it that way. Age 49 I did them separately and it was a totally different experience. (it helped that I also weighed a LOT less...) I would say it took about 2 months for full recovery. That said, I was very well prepared--did lots of exercises to strengthen quad muscles. My doc said they were "like rocks". I was also faithful about exercising afterwards.

I wouldn't think you would need a scooter that far out, but you can always rent one closer to departure if you aren't doing as well as you'd like. The walker might be good. Have you considered a rollator walker? That's the one that has a seat where you can sit if you get tired. My mom has used one of these with great results. (until more recently when she has to use a wheelchair).

In any case, having the cruise to look forward to will give you great incentive to do your rehab!

My therapist has told me that my quads are good. They ARE very strong, since they told me to keep the quads strong to help my knees. I've been doing therapy on my own for years to keep my quads strong.

I have a rollator walker. I use it when I have to go somewhere that it will be a while before I can have a normal chair, or if I'm going to be waiting in a line, etc, and use it when I need to sit. Best thing EVER for me. I am limited now, as I can barely walk around my cul de sac twice without screaming in pain, and I can't tell you how happy I am that I work at a job where I can sit or stand if need be. I also can get up and walk around the office if I need to (which happens) so that my knee doesn't freeze up. This has happened, and it's NOT fun.

I don't get to slack on rehab. It's not even an option. I was in the military, and this is part of my service connection, so the military is doing my surgery. Going to rehab is like going back to basic training, and they yell at you and make you do the exercises whether you want to or not. And I think this is a good thing for me. I want to walk like a normal person again, and I will do whatever it takes to get fixed.

My therapist has told me that my quads are good. They ARE very strong, since they told me to keep the quads strong to help my knees. I've been doing therapy on my own for years to keep my quads strong.

I have a rollator walker. I use it when I have to go somewhere that it will be a while before I can have a normal chair, or if I'm going to be waiting in a line, etc, and use it when I need to sit. Best thing EVER for me. I am limited now, as I can barely walk around my cul de sac twice without screaming in pain, and I can't tell you how happy I am that I work at a job where I can sit or stand if need be. I also can get up and walk around the office if I need to (which happens) so that my knee doesn't freeze up. This has happened, and it's NOT fun.

I don't get to slack on rehab. It's not even an option. I was in the military, and this is part of my service connection, so the military is doing my surgery. Going to rehab is like going back to basic training, and they yell at you and make you do the exercises whether you want to or not. And I think this is a good thing for me. I want to walk like a normal person again, and I will do whatever it takes to get fixed.

Git 'er done!! I am confident that you will do great! Just keep thinking about your cruise coming up.

Thank you very much for posing the question that you have. Most cabins will handle scooters and walkers if that is what you think you may need. I think the real question is will you need the grab bars around toilets and the roll in feature of the bathroom and shower of an accessible cabin....if the answer is no then I would ask that you not book such a cabin. My DW, as some know, has MS and now needs a wheelchair and the features of an accessible cabin and if one is not available we don't cruise ..... so I tend to be sensitive about able-bodied people booking accessible cabins they don't need.