What experience with Solstice Concierge Guarantee?

goodycruising

I am thinking of booking a concierge guarantee on Solstice. Like many here I have become educated as to good and bad locations, and it makes me nervous to throw my hat in the ring and not to be able to pick a cabin.

It is about $50 a day each extra to pick a concierge C3 (8 nighter=total $800 more), and our other preference is a 1A balcony for about $500 more total.

What does the brains trust here think please?

I would opt for a 1A balcony that has a good location over random concierge. The perks are just not worth it in my opinion, and it seems like you are talking about $300. Are you willing to pay that for canapés, a bottle of sparkling and thicker robes? Keep in mind room service is free, and the canapés are pretty bad. The only other factor would be if you are looking to collect extra C' Club points.

Thanks happy tvlr - we are not too fused about the points as we are diamond RCI and have the elite reciprocal already. It would take so long for us to get to be real elites, for no difference that the points are not a biggie just now. I am keen on the 1A balcony.....

We always opt for the best price option when sailing on an S-class with a balcony cabin. The few extra perks are not worth more $$ for us, since every balcony cabin will be the same 194 sq/ft. The C3 GTY for less than the 1A would get the nod in your situation. Then you would need to factor in just how much time you are going to use the balcony.

Edited by wallie5446

Since $50/day is about all we spend on a cruise, I'd say go for the cheapest option. Everyone on the boat is going the same place, eating in the same places, using the same pools, etc. We use our cabin for sleeping and changing, although we do normally book a balcony. In your case I'd pick the cheapest balcony available. I really don't think the CC perks are worth it at all.

We booked a CC guarantee just a couple of weeks ago--but it was only $100pp extra for the whole cruise, with an extra $100 OBC, over a partially obstructed balcony, so $50pp net. This was on a 14 night exotic Caribbean in early December.

Since your cruise is over the holidays, not surprising that it is more.

I wouldn't book one that cost much more than that because I don't find that much value in the CC amenities; in this case it was worth it to me to not have a partially obstructed balcony. This guarantee was quite a bit less than an unobstructed balcony cabin.

The extra points will move us up to the next Captain's Club level, so that's nice.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I am thinking of booking a concierge guarantee on Solstice. Like many here I have become educated as to good and bad locations, and it makes me nervous to throw my hat in the ring and not to be able to pick a cabin.

It is about $50 a day each extra to pick a concierge C3 (8 nighter=total $800 more), and our other preference is a 1A balcony for about $500 more total.

What does the brains trust here think please?

We had the same dilemma for Med cruise on Silhouette and we picked Concierge GTY because of significant money savings (plus few perks - they are not good as everybody was saying but still...) and better location of any concierge cabin. Now my C3 cabin is assigned - great location on 10th deck !!!

You need to book on the angle of the hump, ( most are C2 or 1A ) or the very last 1A at the Aft of the ship for a bigger balcony.

Ya the primo Concierge Cabins tend to go early on all Celebrity Ships...

If you are getting a Concierge Guarantee more than likely you'll end up with a C3 either far forward or far aft... And not the better C2s (S-Class Ships) or the C1s (M-Class Ships) with the bigger balconies

So the question comes down to what is the difference in perks worth to go Concierge ?

For us that would be $ 100 to $ 200 all in for the 2 of us (not each)... But then again we are new Celebrity Cruisers and trying to build up points 5 a night for Concierge vs 3 for a regular Veranda

In your case I'd be looking to see if there are any Veranda Cabins left on the angles to / from the hump (midship) or bump (forward). All of these have Trapezoid shaped balconies vs Rectangles... The 1st and 3rd on the angle are the largest ones.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks John-B, I am looking at the 1A. I am still not sure still about the guarantee as I don't like not being able to research the room, but the concierge guarantee is $500 cheaper than the 1A. And I mean 1A not A1.

On the other hand, while I like a balcony, the insides on Solstice look like they are a decent size too, and we are now thinking of a inside guarantee ($600 cheaper than the concierge guarantee), but that is even more worrying. :) We shall continue to think....

Thanks John-B, I am looking at the 1A. I am still not sure still about the guarantee as I don't like not being able to research the room, but the concierge guarantee is $500 cheaper than the 1A. And I mean 1A not A1.

On the other hand, while I like a balcony, the insides on Solstice look like they are a decent size too, and we are now thinking of a inside guarantee ($600 cheaper than the concierge guarantee), but that is even more worrying. :) We shall continue to think....

I am pretty sure that all the cabins on Solstice class that are insides to Aqua class are much the same size. Location is a small factor for us as we don't get bothered much by noise or sea sickness and walking is probably a good thing. Many people including us will try to snag a hump balcony or even better a balcony on the angle of the hump due to the better view or larger balcony that the angled balconies have.

We will only do this if the price is right. I have only booked 2 cruises on a Solstice class and have never paid the price to select the better cabin. Both times a gty.(one Balc X one Aqua X). We ended up with a 2A and an A1. Both times once allocated I found a better location within the category allocated and we were moved.

So I would either take the inside and hope for a further reduction in the future to move up the ladder OR book the CC GTY. The worst CC cabin is still a good cabin. But which option I decided would be an educated gamble after studying price trends and available inventory in each category. If it looked like we would end u with an inside I would probably pay $300pp more (assuming your $600 was total cabin cost) but I wouldn't necessarily pay $500pp more for the balcony. Then again if this came with a PYP perk then I would certainly pay the $300pp for the CC.

I hope my rambling makes some sense.

Edited by woodyren

Woodyren - yes you do make sense, thanks. We have decided that we will go for the concierge guarantee. I couldn't see the saving for the inside guarantee compared to the cc. So we just booked it. We were unable to get the pypobc to work. We must have had some other discount, as a discount bigger than the obc showed in the details. Yay! Pleased to have made a decision, and we will see when we get our allocation if we want to try for a move.

Appreciate everyone's time in answering.

If your a captains club member, book a C3 and get automatic upgrade to a C2, we did and got the first balcony on the slant. Very happy with it.

I didn't know about this; makes sense.

We just got our assignment for the CC guarantee; a C3 pretty far aft; however, we like aft so are ok with it--no upgrades, darn. It was only $50pp more than a partially obstructed balcony.

A bigger issue is that I just logged in and Celebrity says our reservation was cancelled!!! I didn't cancel and anyway we booked with a TA. Slightly panicking here, but hopeful it's just one of their website glitches.

Glad to help.

So you decided to go with the Concierge Guarantee... Think you'll be pleased.

As another poster said, after you get your allotment, I'd check to see what other cabins in the same Cat remain open... Check in with the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY and if something better is available, request to switch.

Lol, it is called playing the game... Something that being a member of CC gives you an advantage of vs other Cruisers

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Their website is currently awful. I'm sure your cruise still exists....but I'd contact your TA to make sure.

Yep, I figured it was a website glitch. TA could still see the reservation so I called Celebrity and they said they were 'working on the website' and to not log in, but access through online check-in. Sure enough, the cruise shows.

Whew.

You need to book on the angle of the hump, ( most are C2 or 1A ) or the very last 1A at the Aft of the ship for a bigger balcony.

Are these deeper/wider than standard balconies? If on the angle, do we need to be concerned with out being in full view of people on the next balconies?

Are these deeper/wider than standard balconies? If on the angle, do we need to be concerned with out being in full view of people on the next balconies?

If you get the larger angled balconies you are not in "full view" of anyone. Because the railing it angled if you were to stand on the longest side of the balcony in the corner and the people on the next balcony in were you do the same then they could see you. If you imagine the balcony is made up of a rectangle with the sides being where your balcony meets the neighbours on the shortest side and a triangle which goes from this rectangle to the point where your balcony meets your neighbours on the longest side then the triangle portion is where you can be in view of the next balcony.

These links give you some S class cabin info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AtHczoNeooladEEyVmQwWmJhaGItbFZPUFNudTFZcEE

Very happy! Got an allocation already. We have a C3 on Deck 10 in the middle of the forward section. Cabins above and below and nice and close to the elevators. I have looked at the site that shows available cabins and I could not see a vacant one that would be worth ringing up to move to. I am very pleased that we went ahead. Thanks again to all those that answered. :)

Great news.

On our first cruise with Celebrity, we had no idea about cabin location.

The TA mentioned the Guarantee Concierge cabins and my DH being the big punter he is, fell for the promise of all the extras she mentioned.

We were assigned 2108, which is a C2, and we loved it.

Have a great cruise.