New Technology on Quantum......Thoughts?

I like cruising specifically to be away from the internet and contact with the outside world. I can choose not to use the internet on board, so I have no problem with that aspect of the technological improvements. The new boarding process is intriguing. The only thing I didn't like in the announcement was the wristband idea. I can't stand having anything on my wrists or fingers! If it is not a removable band, I would have a lot of trouble wearing it for the whole cruise.

I also question whether RCI is technically savvy enough to pull all this off when their IT department can't even produce a website that works properly on a consistent basis. We'll see.

Everything I've read about the ship so far makes me want to give it a try someday. I can't wait for the ship to sail so we can read some reviews!

- The robot bar sounds a bit gimmicky, but I have struggled getting a consistent cocktail on a cruise, so maybe the drinks will be better measured. But what if you want extra coke? I would miss the human interaction though.

I'm skeptical of a robot bar, and I wonder if they'll continue to add the automatic tip.

Brilliant but they can't even sort their website issues out! Be good to hear the first reviews after go live

Yes! I just started to make a dummy booking on Quantum. I clicked Ship Info and special features and then on 'customer reviews' as I was curious to see what kind of review was on there already- they have posted one from Oasis in 2012....!! :rolleyes:

I'm skeptical of a robot bar, and I wonder if they'll continue to add the automatic tip.

The more important question is will the robot make a Diamond member an "off voucher drink list" frozen cocktail if you slip the machine a $2 bill?

Edited by UCF_Knight

We love to unwind during a cruise, but having access to internet to enjoy things like social media and other internet based applications, for us, would be worth the costs.

I understand people's temptation to do work with better wi-fi, but as many have stated, you do not have to buy, the presumably expensive, internet package.

Given the technological flaws with the current pre-cruise planner, we too are skeptical these enhancements will launch without a few bugs!:cool:

I do think the robot bar is a bit gimmicky, as others have stated, and one thing I enjoy about a cruise is getting to know the staff and having conversations with bar tenders and servers in our favorite bars and lounges.

Time will tell how things like the WOW band, very similar to what WDW now uses, will be an enhancement or not.

It sounds good if you are on a ship and have a drink package and do not need to sign anything. But, as the wife pointed out, she does not want to be wearing a band during formal night or when she is walking around the ship.

If I want high speed Internet I have a 100 MB connection here at my recliner

If I want netflics I can sit in my recliner and watch on a192 inch screen

Cannot imagine any reason that I would even want a ROBOT bartender

When we cruise we leave the cellphones ashore. Only take iPads for the books on them

If we want an amusement park there is one less than 20 miles away

We cruise to get away and enjoy our away time to gather without a onslaught of techno-geek

How are they going to get us our RFID luggage tags and wrist bands to us w/o checking in? Will they return to shipping cruise documentation to us?

I wonder about this too. As for the technology, I can't even get them to send me e-mails - after about 100 requests over many years. :eek:

Guest maddycat

Now that's something to think about. I can't see myself tipping a robot.

Actually...NONE of the items announced today for Quantum is NEW TECHNOLOGY.

The "big reveal" today was just to make a splash that some improvements were planned for the cruise passenger experience through the use of a new app, along with some onboard Internet improvements (long overdue).

So these are good things for sure...but not worthy of all the hoopla they gave it.

I would MUCH rather carry a seapass than wear a wristband. Essentially I would end up carrying the stupid thing in my purse/beach bag the whole time. I wonder if they will have both and you can choose which you want to use at certain times?

Other than that, all the tech innovations make me say "meh." Just not for me I guess.

This is an interesting thread. I really don't like the idea of a robot bartender. RCI will probably save a bundle with more accurate pouring though... no freebie over pours :) I think it would be nice to have faster internet at sea, but I wouldn't buy it if it was too expensive. I just don't need it that bad. I like that the workers will have tablets. That is one thing I put on my Celebrity questionnaire this past July. The workers wasted so much time writing down card numbers for all the drink orders that they took. It really seemed like a cumbersome process. I thought it would be much faster if the waitstaff could have an ipod to swipe the sea pass cards. Hopefully a few of these technological advances will trickle over to Celebrity. Oh and I definitely agree with the other posters that they should really be investing in a more reliable computer system! The RCI & Celebrity websites are so glitchy!

I would MUCH rather carry a seapass than wear a wristband. Essentially I would end up carrying the stupid thing in my purse/beach bag the whole time. I wonder if they will have both and you can choose which you want to use at certain times?

Other than that, all the tech innovations make me say "meh." Just not for me I guess.

Your wish is granted.

On the website it says that the wristbands will be available for a nominal charge. The Seapass cards are standard.

This is an interesting thread. I really don't like the idea of a robot bartender. RCI will probably save a bundle with more accurate pouring though... no freebie over pours :)

Absolutely! That technology has been around for years... I remember seeing a robot bartender and robot blackjack dealer at a trade show about 10 years ago. I'm kind of surprised that other travel/restaurant companies haven't started using them.

My first thought when I (admittedly briefly) saw the announcement over e-mail: this is all another cost savings/moneymaking deal for RCI.

I have no desire to be using my cellphone on a cruise. I keep mine OFF to avoid roaming and other fees. I also have no desire to be wearing a wristband during vacation. I prefer to have my drinks mixed my a person, not a robot. Needless to say I won't be booking this ship anytime soon.

I like the internet upgrades as I use it for business and am more than happy to pay the premium for unlimited internet to stay in touch

That is some investment but think it will pay off in leaps and bounds

This robot bartender is no good as won't get special drinks anymore :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were among the first to use the wristbands at Disney World and have used them 3 times since. Yes, there were some glitches at first - as with most technology-related innovations. But, we found them for the most part to be very convenient. It was so much faster to use the wristbands than dig a card out of a backpack or purse. And no more worrying about having pockets if you didn't want to carry a backpack or purse. But, if you wanted, you could also just take them off and use your card.

Many people are now used to wearing fitness wristbands so this shouldn't be a huge issue for them.

The planned uses on RCI sound great. Of course, the devil is in the details and based on chronic website issues I do wonder whether the execution by RCI will be plagued by even more issues and longer resolution times than at Disney World.

All in all, I think this is a positive step. And, for us, the fact that the wristbands can't be de-magnetized are a plus. DH has magnetic sunglass overlays for his prescription glasses. On our last cruise he had to get 3 different seapass cards before he realized, they were becoming de-magnitized because he was carrying them in the same pocket he had his sunglasses.

I like many, couldn't log into the announcment, but did get this email afterwards:

There is a ship that provides blazing fast connectivity at sea to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Vine. A ship that lets its guests download streaming music and videos from the cloud, Netflix, Hulu and more at speeds equal to those on land. A ship that lets you play Xbox Live with other gamers anywhere around the world. A ship where technology is there at every turn to make the guest experience richer than ever before. This isn’t a ship- it's a Smartship. This is Quantum of the Seas SM. This changes everything

Now the title of this thread did say "thoughts" I'm one of the people who go on cruises to disconnect and be away from technology. However, I know everyone can't do that. I have another couple we occasionally cruise with and he owns an internet business he has to check in on, so I am understanding of people who can't do that and I don't waste bandwidth on connectring to Facebook or the other things specifically mentioned in this release.

I would however, take my laptop and join in on a teleconference if I it worked bandwidth wise and I could be in my swim suit sucking down a beer by the pool with occasional interruptions by yelling, "10!" for the belly flop competition, or "Hold on, its my turn on the flowrider."

Ok, that is my thought, no matter how stupid it is!

my sentiments almost word for word... ;)