Grand Princess vs Crown Princess

NatureBoy77

I am looking into booking a 7 night California Coastal Cruise. There are 2 ships with the same dates and itineraries(Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Ensenada, MX). The ships are the Grand Princess and the Crown Princess. I think the Crown Princess is newer and a little larger, but the Grand has some pretty good reviews. We are a middle age couple travelling without our children. Any advice on which ship is better?

Yes the Crown is newer 2006 versus the Grand 1998.

They are the same size other then the Crown having an extra deck of passengers 500 (Riviera).

I would prefer the Crown as the Grand has had the shopping cart handle (Skywalkers lounge) removed and the lounge one5 added.

I just like the setup better on the Crown with Sabatinis/Adagio Lounge etc.

The Grand does not have a center staircase past deck 7, for passenger use.

If your cabin is located mid-ship and you want to go up or down a few decks, it's the elevator or walking all the way forward or aft to those stairs.

There are positives and (mild) negatives about each ship, and individual preferences affect which ship any one person prefers. The Crown is considerably newer with some updated features and a full central staircase. The Crown also has larger closets in her balcony, oceanview & interior cabins.

However, because of the extra deck of cabins on the Crown, the Grand has about 12% more space per passenger, based on their respective space ratios (gross registered tons divided by lower-berth passenger capacity). Some people find the resulting extra congestion on the Crown noticeable; others do not. Some people like the fact that Skywalkers has been removed from the Grand, allowing more sunlight to reach the aft pool; others regret the loss of Skywalkers. For some, the presence of a covered pool on the Grand (but not the Crown) is an important difference, especially for sailings in cool conditions.

There are endless discussions of these differences on CC, but it ultimately comes down to relatively small differences between generally similar ships, and individual preferences. We have our own preferences, but would be happy to cruise on either ship again.

John

Edited by J-D

I think both ships are great and many have mentioned some of the things i would comment on

Grand has a smaller closet

Grand doesn't have middle staircase

Grand has Alfredos Crown doesn't

Crown has Adagio one of my favorite bars

enjoy which ever one you sail on

Never been on Crown but we took Grand to Hawaii in April. She's really in great shape - we loved her. We always book Caribe aft so the lack of mid stairs doesn't bother us at all. I think we had to wait for an elevator once or twice. The closets are small though. Then again, that probably wouldn't be an issue on a 7-day coastal. Worked fine for us for 15 days. We'd go on Grand again without hesitation, and not just because she sails out of our home town frequently.

Alfredos now being held in Sabatinis on the Crown. ;)

I would still choose the Grand - the hours of Alfredo would be better on a ship with a dedicated Alfredos (nice alternative for dinner venue) as opposed to switching to Sabatini's at night. The Grand doesn't have Club Confusion which is a plus IMO.

Edited by Coral

Alfredos now being held in Sabatinis on the Crown. ;)

Colo Cruiser...........is Alfredos a for fee dining venue within Sabatinis or a seperate dining experience at no cost? Liked the setup on the Sapphire being seperate and available anytime from noon on:)

Colo Cruiser...........is Alfredos a for fee dining venue within Sabatinis or a seperate dining experience at no cost? Liked the setup on the Sapphire being seperate and available anytime from noon on:)

No fee. I like the dedicated space as well.

This way was too limited. IMO ;)

There is a certain sameness about Princess ships and you are not going to go short with which ever one you pick. The issue we have with the Grand is that there are only 2 elevators that go down to deck 6 where the TD venue, the Botticelli Dining Room, is located and there are no restrooms outside the venue so if you have mobility problems then this can prove very awkward. This can be overcome by requesting a change of venue from the Maître-d but that is another line you have wait in.

The older I get the less I like crowds, and I'm getting old. Please redo space ratio and refigure percentage and throw in no covered pool. Stand in lines for most everything.

The Grand is not my 1st pick but would take it over the current Crown any day.:eek:

No fee. I like the dedicated space as well.

This way was too limited. IMO ;)

Thanks..........we're on the Crown in a few weeks and thought we'd be missing Alfredos but since there is one set aside in Sabatinis that's even better than I thought......;)

Thanks..........we're on the Crown in a few weeks and thought we'd be missing Alfredos but since there is one set aside in Sabatinis that's even better than I thought......;)

It will only be open as Alfredos for lunch and probably only on sea days.