Norwegian pet policy

mar23

I was in Walmart a few weeks ago and a young woman had about a 4mo old puppy in the shopping cart. When I told her I didnt think dogs were aloud in Walmart, she said it was a service dog....I asked how a puppy that youg coulc be a service dog and she said "its 1/2 service dog" I just shook my head...Im sorry, but I dont want a dog in the shopping cart Im going to put my food in. :eek:
Hopefully you reported her to the manager. Unless people start reporting these posers, the problem will just get worse. I personally have no problem reporting these posers.

I did and they said there was nothing they could do if the lady says its a service dog, they cant do anything....I did however point out to the manager that people dont want their food were a dogs butt has been sitting...lol....if they cant make them take them out of the store, they can at least tell them they cant put them in the shopping carts...just saying...

I did and they said there was nothing they could do if the lady says its a service dog, they cant do anything....I did however point out to the manager that people dont want their food were a dogs butt has been sitting...lol....if they cant make them take them out of the store, they can at least tell them they cant put them in the shopping carts...just saying...
I would have called the health department. A true service dog would never be sitting in a shopping cart. Nor would they be sitting at a table at a restaurant or on a table in a restaurant or being feed from a table at a restaurant, etc.

I would have called the health department. A true service dog would never be sitting in a shopping cart. Nor would they be sitting at a table at a restaurant or on a table in a restaurant or being feed from a table at a restaurant, etc.

It seems that everyone is so worried about being politically correct that we have turned into a nation that is afraid to say anything for fear of offending someone....being politically correct has never been one of my strong suits...lol...thats why I said something to her in the first place...she acted like no one had ever questioned her about it before...I really think people need to learn to speak up if something bothers them...:rolleyes:

Edited by skyfire53

So a word to the ignorant that think getting a service dog is like applying for a disabled parking sticker. It is not the same. Its very ignorant to think a doctor just signs a piece of paper to create a service dog. Before you post such nonsense please do your research.

The restrictions and training you are speaking of are imposed by the organization training and placing the dogs, not the government. As others have stated, under the ADA, businesses may only ask what task the dog performs -- they may not ask what condition the person has, or judge whether the dog is necessary. (However, they are permitted to request poorly behaved dogs and their owners to leave the premises. Disruptive barking and growling would fall under this category as would running loose where they might trip up other patrons)

There are organizations like the Delta Society which provide certification to dogs so that they can visit hospitals and nursing homes as therapy animals, but this is a private endeavor.

The government can't impose certification because service dogs come from all sorts of organizations, and it is perfectly possible for a regular pet to be trained for many of these tasks, as opposed to being raised through one of the major programs.

Here is a photo of my service dog and me, you really did not want to personally know what her service was. She passed away years ago and I am no longer in that career field, but she was a great 'service animal'!

Zelda.jpg

As far as true service animals, they do serve a tremendous service to their owner and it is great that they can build a relationship. I know some people scam the system, no matter what system, as that just brings bad press to the issues.

It seems that everyone is so worried about being politically correct that we have turned into a nation that is afraid to say anything for fear of offending someone....being politically correct has never been one of my strong suits...lol...thats why I said something to her in the first place...she acted like no one had ever questioned her about it before...I really think people need to learn to speak up if something bothers them...:rolleyes:

Amen to that!

What about people who are allergic to dogs? Or just plain don't like dog hair floating around and landing in their food.

This is beginning to become a real problem. I know a lady who has an "anxiety" service dog.:rolleyes: I know people are disabled, but c'mon...

Neither "emotional support" nor "therapy" animals are included in the ADA definition of a service dog. Sadly, not many businesses have the cajoles to take on a poser (love that term) with chutzpah.

Here is a photo of my service dog and me, you really did not want to personally know what her service was. She passed away years ago and I am no longer in that career field, but she was a great 'service animal'!

Zelda.jpg

Beautiful picture. I, myself would enjoy seeing lots of dogs on cruise ships as long as the ship provided a bathroom area and the owners were responsible for cleaning up after them. DH and I aren't allergic and we have a hypoallergenic dog who goes everywhere with us except on planes and cruise ships.

Beautiful picture. I, myself would enjoy seeing lots of dogs on cruise ships as long as the ship provided a bathroom area and the owners were responsible for cleaning up after them. DH and I aren't allergic and we have a hypoallergenic dog who goes everywhere with us except on planes and cruise ships.
The sad thing is, that a lot of dog owners are not responsible. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a hotel and took my dog out to go potty and there was a ton poo that was not picked up. Or the last time I was in Las Vegas, I was at Caesar's Palace, they do allow dogs, but not on the floor I was on. For hours a dog barked in a room down the hall...the owners decided to sneek the dog in. When the hotel got a hold of them, they and their dog was kicked out of the hotel for disturbing other guests and breaking the rules.

This thread is a reminder of how harsh people are and the world is. Its really crazy just because people pass a barking dog in a crate at the airport some have posted and accused them of being a service dog. Others post with no knowledge of what a service animal is or even does and not knowing the requirements. Others pass judgment accusing people of not having a disability with no medical license and are experts in diagnosing others just by looking at them. Others bash NCL for following the law and allowing service dogs on the ships. Others mock disability animals, etc.

I seriously hope none of you need a service dog or have a child that needs one too. Someday you may get the same treatment where people will complain to management because your service dog is allowed to be with you. Or someone will tell you that you don't have a disability. Then the most stupid is lumping hotels that allow dogs and animals with service dogs. Service animals are highly trained and disciplined.

But why do people care? Why is there such hate in your heart of dogs or animals that help people to post threads complaining about them.

It seems that everyone is so worried about being politically correct that we have turned into a nation that is afraid to say anything for fear of offending someone....being politically correct has never been one of my strong suits...lol...thats why I said something to her in the first place...she acted like no one hacruised ever questioned her about it before...I really think people need to learn to speak up if something bothers them...:rolleyes:

NCL, Walmart, etc. are probably more concerned about possible litigation than being PC.

I've seen obviously legit service dogs several times on cruises, including with an elderly blind man traveling solo with his German Shepherd guide dog on HAL. Last NCL cruise we flew in with a visually impaired man with a marvelously trained marked service dog. Man and Golden Retriever were with us on plane, hotel and cruise. No problem. I know a former soldier who has a beagle for PTSD. Yes, disabilities are not always visible, but multiple dogs with people who have no obvious problem does raise suspicion. On a TA we saw a group of ladies with "froo froo" dogs. We wondered if these ladies were related to officers who were repositioning. I don't know. The dogs were well behaved. Those who are with people who need them, whether visual disability or not, have been well trained and would not do things like run around in the piano bar IMHO. I don't think anyone in this thread is attacking the disabled. Many of us have been in that boat.

Edited by HokiePoq

This thread is a reminder of how harsh people are and the world is. Its really crazy just because people pass a barking dog in a crate at the airport some have posted and accused them of being a service dog. Others post with no knowledge of what a service animal is or even does and not knowing the requirements. Others pass judgment accusing people of not having a disability with no medical license and are experts in diagnosing others just by looking at them. Others bash NCL for following the law and allowing service dogs on the ships. Others mock disability animals, etc.

I seriously hope none of you need a service dog or have a child that needs one too. Someday you may get the same treatment where people will complain to management because your service dog is allowed to be with you. Or someone will tell you that you don't have a disability. Then the most stupid is lumping hotels that allow dogs and animals with service dogs. Service animals are highly trained and disciplined.

But why do people care? Why is there such hate in your heart of dogs or animals that help people to post threads complaining about them.

Relax Francis, nobody is bashing the use of service dogs for real needs. However I have seen first hand people people using their animal with a bogus excuse, or no excuse at all. Just because the can. A friend of mine owns a restaurant and I here about the issues with it all the time. At least his has the balls to call their bluff and 99% of the time they just leave.

Its a real problem......below is an article from the New York Times from last year.

Phony “service dog” tags have become common among city pooch owners, who use them for everything from taking Fido bar-hopping to pick up chicks to getting discounts on the Hamptons Jitney.

Dog owners can easily snap up bogus tags, vests, patches and certificates on the Internet, circumventing the city Health Department and undermining federal regulations designed to aid the disabled.

“I was sick of tying up my dog outside,” said Brett David, 33, a restaurateur whose tiny pooch, Napoleon, wore an unofficial “therapy dog” patch during a visit to Whole Foods on Houston Street (pictured).

“Sometimes, they’ll give me a hassle and say bring the papers next time, but for five bucks, you order [a patch] off eBay, and it works 90 percent of the time,” he told The Post.

The Health Department issues legitimate service-dog tags but doesn’t regulate them.

To obtain a legitimate tag, an applicant only needs to present a letter from a dog trainer saying the dog can perform certain useful tasks. Proof of a disability isn’t required.

David merely had to say “service dog” at a Starbucks on Delancey Street and again at a dumpling eatery on Broome Street for him and his furry friend to be allowed inside.

“He’s been to most movie theaters in the city, more nightclubs than most of my friends,” David boasted of Napoleon, a Maltese Yorkie.

“I don’t care who you are, a teacup Yorkie will trump a black [American Express] card when you’re trying to pick up a girl.”

Financier Kate Vlasovskaya, 24, carries a phony “service dog” ID card she bought online from the “United States Service Dog Registry” for her Cavalier King Charles spaniel, Lila.

“It’s becoming pretty popular now,” she said as she recently carted Lila on the Hamptons Jitney without having to buy a ticket for the dog.

For $50, the laminated card, featuring a hologram, provides the dog with an ID number.

Vlasovskaya isn’t worried about getting called out, noting it’s a hassle to verify the certificate.

“You’d have to go through all of these links or get someone on the line,” she said. “With all of that effort, they will probably just let you in.”

Toni Eames, the blind president of the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners, said fake service pooches antagonize her Seeing-Eye dog.

“People don’t realize that if the dog misbehaves in any way — if it isn’t clean, barks or is overly friendly and jumps on people — that it aggravates other dogs and disrupts the way they do service,” she said.

Lori Levine, designer of the Comes With Baggage handbag line, got her dogs legitimate tags after paying $1,100 to have them trained. She got the tags so she could take the pets to visit a sick friend in the hospital but also brings the pooches along while dining out, shopping or traveling.

“You can tell when people are faking it,” she said. “Their dogs act crazy.”

And another...........http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fake-service-dogs-growing-problem-f8C11366537

And another............http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/fake-service-dog-certificates_n_3709720.html

And another..........http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/service-dogs

And one more just to prove my point.........http://www.dailybreeze.com/social-affairs/20140302/fake-service-dogs-a-real-problem-at-airports-and-other-public-buildings-experts-say

Edited by Laszlo

No one on here is hating on true service dogs. I think most know the valuable service they do for their owners, We are hating on those people that pass their dogs off as service dogs. They lie about their dog being a service dog, they get phony letters from their doctors, all because they don't want to leave fluffy at home. They should be the one you address your anger to. BTW, the law (ADA regulations) is only for service dogs, not comfort/anixety/emotional support poser dogs.

When these posers go around with little fluffy being untrained and barking, pooping in public areas, being fed at tables, etc. (all things a true service dog would never do), they give true service dogs a bad rap and that is why people are confused with regard to service dogs. They see these dogs and can't believe that a ship, plane, restaurant, etc., would let an ill-behaved dog in and in some cases equate it to service dogs.

I think most know and maybe some don't know, that there are many medical reason someone would have a service dog, it is not only because they are blind. There are service dogs for the deaf, there are dogs that alert their owners to seizures, fainting, migraines, low blood sugar, they help with ptsd, they help people do a lot of the things we might take for granted, like turning on a light switch, etc.

BTW, you can tell a true service dog from a poser by how they act. A true service dog doesn't sit on a chair, doesn't sit at a table, isn't fed at a table, doesn't acknowledge passerbyers, doesn't bark at people, doesn't poop in public areas, etc.

Sorry you feel I was most stupid for commenting on bringing my dog to hotels, but please be aware, my dog is just as highly trained and disciplined (except for her licker problem), as any service animal and I only take her to hotels that allow pets; I've never tried to sneek her in or lie and pose her as a service dog.

Edited by NLH Arizona

On one of our cruises last year, think it was on the Epic, the captain announced that a 'service' dog was on board and for nobody to approach it because it had a job to do. RUBBISH. it was a pampered pooch, no job to do just the owner paid loads for it to be in the Haven with us, she wheeled it about in one of those silly pet strollers for a week, it never came out of its mesh cage in the daytime for a whole week. Fgs dogs need to walk, it does them good to walk and be allowed to sniff stuff. The very small dog even had nail varnish on and was allowed into the Epic restaurant, I got a little annoyed then, I own a few restaurants in the UK and although I love dogs I keep my 5 star rating by not allowing them in, dogs are not allowed next to food, unless its my amazing Hungarian viszla, no, he is not allowed into any of my restaurants. I adore my dog but will never get to the stage of compensating for a child with him. Sorry the silly owner of a nice poch just spoiled him.

Here are some more information on how these posers hurt service dogs. This is from Yahoo News:

There is a big difference in the behavior of real service dogs and impostors inside businesses, experts said. A true service dog becomes nearly invisible. Pets might bark, urinate, sniff, scratch and eat off the floor.

Real service dogs can be the victims of unruly fakes, said Wallis Brozman, 27, of Santa Rosa. She has dystonia, a movement disorder that left her unable to walk and barely able to talk. She needs a wheelchair, voice amplifier and her service dog, Caspin, who responds to English and sign language. "When my dog is attacked by an aggressive dog, he is not sure what to do about it and looks to me. It becomes a safety issue, not only for my dog, the target of the attack, but for me if I am between the dogs," Brozman said.

Marv Tuttle, a volunteer guide at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, said he believes he spots phony service dogs two or three times a week. He has also experienced the other side. Tuttle uses a service dog, Yara, because of a spinal cord injury from a traffic accident, and he and his wife were once stopped from entering a furniture store. "A girl greeted us and said she'd be glad to hold my dog outside," he said. The clerk told them that two weeks earlier, a fake was allowed in the store and urinated on several expensive Indian carpets.

I did the research as David Sobe suggested and here is an excerpt from the website I found.

http://www.registermyserviceanimal.com/

Does My Service Dog Have to Be Professionally Trained?

No, you can train your own dog to be a service dog. Most people train their own service animal, therapy animal, or emotional support animal.

What Is Included In the $79.95 Registration Fee

Registration is valid for 5 years

2 Service Animal Photo ID Cards

2 rings to attach ID Card to Collar or Vest

Service Animal Certificate of Registration

Inclusion in the RMSA database

I will withhold my comments on the validity of this !!!!!!

Edited by swedish weave

I did the research as David Sobe suggested and here is an excerpt from the website I found.

http://www.registermyserviceanimal.com/

Does My Service Dog Have to Be Professionally Trained?

No, you can train your own dog to be a service dog. Most people train their own service animal, therapy animal, or emotional support animal.

What Is Included In the $79.95 Registration Fee

Registration is valid for 5 years

2 Service Animal Photo ID Cards

2 rings to attach ID Card to Collar or Vest

Service Animal Certificate of Registration

Inclusion in the RMSA database

I will withhold my comments on the validity of this !!!!!!

Service dogs do not have to be registered or certified nor do they have to wear vests or other gear that says they are a service dog.

How can I get my service animal/dog certified/registered?

The ADA does not require service animals to be "certified". This type of assessment and identification is not a legal requirement under the ADA and other federal non-discrimination laws, but is preferred by some handlers. Some service dog trainers and programs evaluate the dogs they train and provide the handlers with some type of identification card.