First day........ what's the order of things.

W and W

First timers here, going on Liberty in a couple of weeks. Once we get on board there's a few things that have to be done, but is there a specific order of doing things. Hope to get on early(ish) but we're wondering if we should sort out a schedule of what to do and when to do it.

So what do you cruising regulars do? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

We were on Liberty last summer and we LOVED that ship! I'm not sure I understand what you mean "things that have to be done". The only mandatory thing was muster! :D

Boarding (in Barcelona) was very quick and we headed directly up to the pooldeck and occupied some of the very comfy sofas next to the Solarium. First things first, we had to get a cocktail of the day! :p

We wanted to avoid the zoo at Windjammer, so we went down to the Promenade, got some food (sandwiches, pizza) and brought it back up to the pooldeck. While everybody was fighting for food at the Windjammer, we enjoyed our "pic-nic" al fresco a lot! :cool:

Around 1pm your cabin will be ready. Until then, we did not do much as we had our carry-ons with us and we did not feel like walking around a lot with them.

Once the cabin is ready you may or may not be lucky to find your luggage in front of it. If yes, unpack, if not, take that bathing-suit out of the carry-on and head to the pool! :)

Around 4.30 pm you have to get ready for the muster drill. After that, have a drink at one of the bars and soon it will be time for dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

How about cabin keys? Something that shows what drinks package we have. Sea pass card ? Stuff like that.

You get your stateroom key (SeaPass card) before you board. If you purchased a beverage package pre-cruise, then your SeaPass card will indicate your beverage package when you get it at check-in.

We first have lunch, then explore the ship and take some photos while the ship is still quiet (we board early) and then go to the dining room so see the location of our table. By then the cabin is ready so we drop off our carryon and go out to explore some more.

I'll try to answer this more basically which I think is what you are looking for.

When you get to the terminal there will be porters taking your large pieces of luggage. Most folks keep carry on type stuff with them. Then you go in, through security and will get in a line to check in. At check in, they will take your picture and give you your sea pass card which works to charge items on the ship and also opens the door to your cabin. If you have prepurchased a drink package it should be on the card that you are given.

After check in, you will have the opportunity to get your picture taken in front of a backdrop of the ship. Then you board.

If you have children, there will be tables set up as soon as you board to put wristbands on them identifying their muster station. This is in case anything happens while they are in the kids programs, the staff can get them to you. If you haven't bought a drink package and you wish to, there will be tables set up for that.

At about 1:00 cabins are ready and you can go deposit your carry-ons. At some point in the afternoon, your luggage will show up outside the door. Later in the afternoon there will be a muster drill.

Other than that you are free to do as you please. You can eat, explore, have a drink, etc.

Edited by deedeetoo

I'll try to answer this more basically which I think is what you are looking for.

When you get to the terminal there will be porters taking your large pieces of luggage. Most folks keep carry on type stuff with them. Then you go in, through security and will get in a line to check in. At check in, they will take your picture and give you your sea pass card which works to charge items on the ship and also opens the door to your cabin. If you have prepurchased a drink package it should be on the card that you are given.

After check in, you will have the opportunity to get your picture taken in front of a backdrop of the ship. Then you board.

If you have children, there will be tables set up as soon as you board to put wristbands on them identifying their muster station. This is in case anything happens while they are in the kids programs, the staff can get them to you. If you haven't bought a drink package and you wish to, there will be tables set up for that.

At about 1:00 cabins are ready and you can go deposit your carry-ons. At some point in the afternoon, your luggage will show up outside the door. Later in the afternoon there will be a muster drill.

Other than that you are free to do as you please. You can eat, explore, have a drink, etc.

Excellent summary! Some people check out the spa and enter the raffle during the time between boarding and muster drill. We like to have lunch, walk the ship to familiarize ourselves (if necessary) or just explore, get in our cabin and unpack, then change for the fitness center. We'll get in a workout, then hit the sauna for a while. It sets the tone of the vacation for us.

First timers here, going on Liberty in a couple of weeks. Once we get on board there's a few things that have to be done, but is there a specific order of doing things. Hope to get on early(ish) but we're wondering if we should sort out a schedule of what to do and when to do it.

So what do you cruising regulars do? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Looks like some good suggestions posted so far. Some people like to use the first few hours to enjoy the pools and hot tubs, as they are sometimes less crowded since not everyone is on board yet. Pack a change of clothes and/or swim suit in your carry on or in a beach bag (something that you're not checking, as those checked bags will arrive at your cabin a couple of hours later).

Maybe try the drink of the day (sometimes they charge more if there's a souvenir glass, but you can order it without that). If you're getting the drink package, use the first day to scope out the bars on the ship and plan your attack.

Eventually make your way to the deck your cabin is on. Sometimes the cabins are ready earlier than they tell you they will be, but if not, at least you'll know how to get there.

Enjoy your cruise!

The only thing that has to be done is to make certain you attend the Muster Drill when announce. Check the time as it will be posted in the Daily Compass and your location will be printed on your Sea Pass Card. Other than that it's do as you please.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Keep in mind that if you have the first seating for dinner it is possible your luggage may not be delivered to your cabin before you go. So I always either wear something to board that I would be happy wearing to dinner or a change of clothing in my carryon. Similarly bring your swimsuit with you in your carryon bag so you can start enjoying your vacation right away and not be waiting on your luggage.

After eating at WJ and checking out your dinner table location a trip to deck 5 (Promenade) is where you'll want to go if you want to make reservations for any of he specialty restaurants.

Generally, in the middle of the Pomenade you will find 2 or 3 waiters pushing dining packages.

Some great advice there, thanks a lot. We're on MTD so won't need to check tables. I think a drink and a stroll round to get our bearings. As we're in Barcelona for a couple of nights we'll probably have a big breakfast, so we can miss the Windjammer rush.

Thanks everybody, I'm almost fully first day educated.............. almost.

:):)

We arrive around 11 AM, make sure you have in your carryon such as swim suites cameras etc that you will want with you. Your luggage can arrive starting around 3 PM. once your on board, we get some lunch, then your rooms should be ready to drop off your carry ons and put away. We then stroll around, I am taking pictures. Since your on the LOS best thing is to walk all over and learn where things are. On the LOS, you won't be able to walk thru on Deck 4 because of the Ice Rink so the Royal Promenade is best used to walk down to the theater for the performances. At the end of the RP you will walk down a set of stairs to Deck 4 & the theater.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

If for any reason you need to visit guest services or the excursions desk you might want to do that before they get too busy. Also if you want any specialty dining and have not booked it through the website when you first board you may want to take care of that. Have a great cruise.

You noted that you have MTD... some people want to change their dining reservations (late to early, early to late, MTD to fixed, fixed to MTD, moving from a large to small table, linking reservations with another party, etc.) -- and if so, a quick visit to the maître d' (who has "office hours" shortly after boarding in one of the dining rooms) can help.

Also, if you are a fitness buff, you may want to pay a visit to the gym to sign up for any pay classes (especially spinning and/or yoga) that might get filled up... on a European cruise I'm not sure about this, since you'll be getting a good workout running around all those ports!!

Other than that, I think everyone has covered all the important points about what to do right after you board, and what to anticipate: ENJOY!!:D

have a drink

have lunch

have a drink

explore the ship

have a drink

got to room at 1

muster

have drinks at sailaway

This is exactly the order of what I do first day. My BF substitutes "Explore the ship" for "Nap while I explore the ship and have another drink". Then I wake him up for muster, and we have drinks at sail away.

In all of my cruises, I have never gone to the GS desk on embarkation day, although some do if they want to put cash down on their account. I sometimes do that, but I generally wait until late at night when there isn't a line.

Pretty much anything that you don't pre-purchase that you want (like drink packages, soda packages, dining packages, spa appointments) have tables set up everywhere once you board. I have gone down to Studio B to book a showtime when I booked after they were sold out, but that was only one time..and I did that as part of "exploring the ship".

Enjoy your first day!

Excellent summary! Some people check out the spa and enter the raffle during the time between boarding and muster drill. We like to have lunch, walk the ship to familiarize ourselves (if necessary) or just explore, get in our cabin and unpack, then change for the fitness center. We'll get in a workout, then hit the sauna for a while. It sets the tone of the vacation for us.

Can you tell me more about the raffle please? I've only done 1 cruise and I don't remember hearing anything about it. How do you enter? What are the prizes?

Find cabin, get food, check kids into teen area, go to solarium, go to room, unpack, dinner, shows, rest of vacation is according to port, cruise days is solarium all day, port days a few hours out then back to pool, nap, dinner , show, rinse and repeat.