Let's show some love for the "HAL for Dummies" sticky :-)

CowPrincess

In case you haven't seen it -- Host Walt started a sticky titled "New to Holland America? AKA HAL for Dummies" that is for tips and tricks and general info that might be useful for new-to-HAL cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088428

The more who contribute tips, the more valuable a resource it will be for all of us. Please join in and post your tips for new HAL cruisers.

(I seem to have the mic and the spotlight in that thread right now, discussing (OMG :eek: ) laundry.....)

Those threads on other boards on this site have turned into monstrosities of outdated or incorrect information. If the information were static AND we could count on it being correct for each HAL ship and each sailing, then it would be a worthwhile enterprise.

As of now, if I have a question, I'm going to ask it. i'm not going to weed through a lengthy thread to find the one piece of info I need, which may be wrong anyway.

I know the "Dummies" book series is very popular, but I find the word offensive. I'm happy to share my tips gleaned from 6 HAL cruises, but there is enough name-calling in the world that, whether tongue-in-cheek or not that I'm not happy attaching that word to those it putatively identifies.

I also agree that a thread such as that becomes awkward to reference. The solution we found on a smaller travel board I ran for a while is to have a series of reference threads with basic information. That's a lot of work, but it stays cleaner that way.

And please don't forget that we have HALfacts developed by CCers themselves. I guess what I am saying is that in order for such a thread or threads to be useful, they need to be organized and maintained.

I know the "Dummies" book series is very popular, but I find the word offensive. I'm happy to share my tips gleaned from 6 HAL cruises, but there is enough name-calling in the world that, whether tongue-in-cheek or not that I'm not happy attaching that word to those it putatively identifies.

I also agree that a thread such as that becomes awkward to reference. The solution we found on a smaller travel board I ran for a while is to have a series of reference threads with basic information. That's a lot of work, but it stays cleaner that way.

And please don't forget that we have HALfacts developed by CCers themselves. I guess what I am saying is that in order for such a thread or threads to be useful, they need to be organized and maintained.

We could certainly put some of the tips on a page on HALfacts if you think that would be helpful. That would be easy to reference and shouldn't be hard to keep up to date?

We could certainly put some of the tips on a page on HALfacts if you think that would be helpful. That would be easy to reference and shouldn't be hard to keep up to date?

There's probably more value in a curated collection of tips.

There's probably more value in a curated collection of tips.

curated collection? do you mean to categorize some so they are listed together rather than one long listing? that's what I was thinking of....

:confused: