We will rock you. Anthem show

So pleased to see that they did not decide to have the same show on both ships. "We Will Rock You" is a great show, and one I will look forward to on a ship. I know that many cast members of existing shows on board would be great in this show :D

Very disappointed. I was lead to believe it was Mama Mia. Guess that's just on Quantum.

If there was any doubt, Royal Caribbean's PR account tweeted this today so it is now officially public information. Though it sounded like it was officially mentioned already, just not posted for public knowledge.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1111/we-will-rock-you-queens-smash-hit-musical-makes-waves-on-royal-caribbeans-anthem-of-the-seas/

So pleased to see that they did not decide to have the same show on both ships. "We Will Rock You" is a great show, and one I will look forward to on a ship. I know that many cast members of existing shows on board would be great in this show :D

I saw this show in January. It was fabulous. If you are a Queen fan you will love it.

I love *We are the Champions*.
Me too.:)

Very disappointed. I was lead to believe it was Mama Mia. Guess that's just on Quantum.
Not sure why you thought this. Mamma Mia is the show for Quantum and it was never annouced that Anthem will have that show as well. Thankfully they do have 2 different shows. Edited by roe2ship

• 1 year later...

I was going to start a new thread but I found this one one, so I figured I'd resurrect it.

I saw WWRY on Monday night and I thought that it was a terrible show. The songs were great, and the performances were mostly very good, but the show itself, specifically the story line and dialog, was just embarrassingly cringe-worthy bad. I've discussed this with many other cruisers on board, and most seem to agree. It's as bad as some of the production shows they've done in the past. It's basically Bohemian Rhapsody done as a show, and they don't even bother doing that song until the encore. I suppose if you can ignore the dialog and just enjoy the songs you'll been fine. I wasn't able to. Someone else pointed out to me that they should have just had a Queen tribute band like they did with the Beatle Maniacs, who were excellent.

It is shameful that Royal Caribbean is presenting this show on a ship sailing out of the NYC area, the theater capital of the world. They should have switched shows when the ship relocated to the US (or started with a show that US audiences would enjoy). It's obvious why this show never made it to Broadway.

Edited by MisterBill99

Is this show good?

We saw it in Vegas....fantastic show! Huge thanks to the efforts of Ben Elton and Queen. Maybe it's because Queen is one of my favorite all-time bands...you're going to love it if you're into rock music....even if you're not because the story line is well done. We're both looking forward to seeing it again on our upcoming cruise.

Have a good time!

I saw WWRY on Monday night and I thought that it was a terrible show. The songs were great, and the performances were mostly very good, but the show itself, specifically the story line and dialog, was just embarrassingly cringe-worthy bad.

Agree. I think the issue was that the show took itself way too seriously. I found that Rock of Ages, the show on the Norwegian Breakaway which did make it to Broadway, has arguably worse songs (when compared to Queen) but was much more entertaining.

Edited by windjamming

I was going to start a new thread but I found this one one, so I figured I'd resurrect it.

I saw WWRY on Monday night and I thought that it was a terrible show. The songs were great, and the performances were mostly very good, but the show itself, specifically the story line and dialog, was just embarrassingly cringe-worthy bad. I've discussed this with many other cruisers on board, and most seem to agree. It's as bad as some of the production shows they've done in the past. It's basically Bohemian Rhapsody done as a show, and they don't even bother doing that song until the encore. I suppose if you can ignore the dialog and just enjoy the songs you'll been fine. I wasn't able to. Someone else pointed out to me that they should have just had a Queen tribute band like they did with the Beatle Maniacs, who were excellent.

It is shameful that Royal Caribbean is presenting this show on a ship sailing out of the NYC area, the theater capital of the world. They should have switched shows when the ship relocated to the US (or started with a show that US audiences would enjoy). It's obvious why this show never made it to Broadway.

Wow! This is the one show I was REALLY looking forward to as I love Queen music.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agree. I think the issue was that the show took itself way too seriously. I found that Rock of Ages, the show on the Norwegian Breakaway which did make it to Broadway, has arguably worse songs (when compared to Queen) but was much more entertaining.

Loved everything about Rock of Ages on Breakaway. In fact, we thought it was the best show at sea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agree. I think the issue was that the show took itself way too seriously.

I think that was a big problem too.

The first 45-60 minutes were just awful, a cartoon, terrible writing. I thought the show picked up toward the end, and the finale was excellent (but that really was due to the music). I don't know who the male lead is now, but on the TA a few months ago, it was a guy with a great voice but who unfortunately was far too slight and dweebie to be believable in the role. The female leads were fantastic.

But I agree that there are far better shows RCI could have chosen.

Loved everything about Rock of Ages on Breakaway. In fact, we thought it was the best show at sea.

Me too. I loved that it was so tongue in cheek and that they snuck in little references to the Breakaway. It was cheesy and 80s and all big hair and over the top and AWESOME.

I think that was a big problem too.

The first 45-60 minutes were just awful, a cartoon, terrible writing. I thought the show picked up toward the end, and the finale was excellent (but that really was due to the music). I don't know who the male lead is now, but on the TA a few months ago, it was a guy with a great voice but who unfortunately was far too slight and dweebie to be believable in the role. The female leads were fantastic.

I think it was the same male lead when we were on, during Christmas. That, or they are definitely looking for a certain type for that role! Droves of people left in the first half hour. It really is a shame, as the music is amazing.

Edited by windjamming

Droves of people left in the first half hour. It really is a shame, as the music is amazing.

I didn't notice people leaving, but I had decided to sit in the center of the orchestra a few rows back from the stage, figuring we'd enjoy it and want to get a good view of it. So we were not in a position to leave, even though we might have had we been in our usual balcony seats on the aisle.

I'm going to preface this with the fact I both love Broadway Musicals and I LOVE Queen. However, this is the WORST show I've ever seen and I've seen easily seen over a 100 different productions in my life. It has no redeeming value.

I saw the Vegas production years ago as I was actually there doing some support work on some of the technology in the show. I had always wondered what a Six Flags show would look like with a real production budget. WWRY is the answer to that. I gave the show on Anthem a try hoping it was just the Vegas show that was cursed, but Anthem's was actually worse. I've seen better high school productions.

With all the great shows out there that RCI could license, I have no idea why they chose this steaming pile of crap. Halfway through the show I started hoping for an iceberg to save us from watching the rest but no such luck....

The first 45-60 minutes were just awful, a cartoon, terrible writing. I thought the show picked up toward the end, and the finale was excellent (but that really was due to the music).

I obviously agree with you on the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing. As for the finale being good, it's because they were singing and not speaking dialog at that point.

But I agree that there are far better shows RCI could have chosen.

They should have figured out a way to move Mamma Mia from Quantum since it wasn't being done there anymore and had only played for a few months on a NJ-based ship.

The only thing I can think of is that someone decided it was a great show to base their advertising campaign around. Sadly, that person had probably never seen the show or realized that it had never played on Broadway and would not be popular with US audiences, or maybe just didn't know better.

I'm guessing that We Will Rock You wasn't originally meant to be on a ship sailing out of NJ. I'm sure these shows are contracted out a long time in advance. Quantum was supposed to be the ship sailing out of NJ with Mama Mia, until they found out Bermuda wouldn't be ready. They needed to get a ship that could sail to Bermuda, so Liberty was brought in, for the season, and Quantum was sent to China.

NJ ended up getting Anthem, that may have been originally planned for Europe, where We Will Rock You was very popular.

Halfway through the show I started hoping for an iceberg to save us from watching the rest but no such luck....

Ha ha! I was thinking that the only thing that made this better than the normal terrible RCCL production shows was that they didn't do a song from Titanic. But the writing was just about as bad and the story line made just as much sense.

Ha ha! I was thinking that the only thing that made this better than the normal terrible RCCL production shows was that they didn't do a song from Titanic. But the writing was just about as bad and the story line made just as much sense.

Actually, I think "Titanic: The Musical" is FAR FAR better than WWRY, and even it wasn't considered that great of a show, but I would much rather see that again than sit through another minute of WWRY.