Souvenirs from Corner Brook Newfoundland

:confused:We will be in Corner Brook on October 1 2014 and I would like some ideas on shopping for something local to the area. Are there any shops/stores in the town that we could walk to from the cruise dock? Can't seem to find much info on this port... Thanks for any ideas. We like local hadcrfts and I'm considering a pair of Labrordite stud earrings also.

I don't have any specific stores to recommend, but during a land-based tour of Newfoundland the visitor centers and small museums often had the best of local handcrafts. There were wonderful quality knitted goods as well as some woodworking. We purchased many items for gifts.

Like PNW Traveller I have never done a cruise to Newfoundland but I am looking at a wonderful Puffin carving and miniature lobster trap that I picked up on a land excursion. Dudette also got a gold lobster trap charm for her charm bracelet. I am sure the local merchants in Corner Brook will have lots of items for you spend your money on.

:confused:We will be in Corner Brook on October 1 2014 and I would like some ideas on shopping for something local to the area. Are there any shops/stores in the town that we could walk to from the cruise dock? Can't seem to find much info on this port... Thanks for any ideas. We like local hadcrfts and I'm considering a pair of Labrordite stud earrings also.

Since you were saying you could not find much info. on Cornerbrook, here is a free, no publicity port guide written by a fellow cruiser. At least you will find maps and info. on the shuttle to different shops.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/CornerBrook-NL-01-31-2013.pdf

:)

I am pretty sure from my visit there last fall that there is a shuttle bus that will take you to some of the shopping malls - to Wal-Mart for sure and perhaps Target which wasn't opened when I was there.

Cheers!

Dennis

WOW!! Thanks for all the suggestions and leads. We never even thought about the carved puffins and we will definitely check out the gold charms since I have been fortunate enough to get one in each port we've visited...

• 3 weeks later...

If you live where it gets cold you might be interested in the "thrummed mittens". They're woolen knit mittens with sheep's fleece knit into the stitches. Unfortunately, I learned how to knit them and now people won't let me stop!