First time Platinum - Ft Lauderdale

go noles

Usually there is a pretty hefty line outside the terminal. Is there a separate line for Platinum or does it not really matter til you get through security? We do want to be early as we want to get sanctuary. Please advise. Thanks.

Usually there is a pretty hefty line outside the terminal. Is there a separate line for Platinum or does it not really matter til you get through security? We do want to be early as we want to get sanctuary. Please advise. Thanks.
I can only tell you our experience in January of 2013 at Terminal 2. When we got there about 10:30 there was already a long line outside. We asked if there was a Platinum/Elite/Suite priority line and were told to go to the front of the line. When we showed our priority boarding passes they stopped the line and let us in the front of the line and into the terminal. Some people have posted about a separate door/line, but not for our cruise. Inside was the security screening and then we went to the priority check-in area. After check-in there is a Priority waiting area upstairs. Platinum passengers waited in the large open area while Suite and Elite passengers had a separate room. The Suite and Elite passengers boarded first and then the Platinum passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't remember the terminal numbers, but one of the ones closest to the convention center has a separate door for people with preferred boarding passes and one doesn't. When we got to the pier really early in March, we saw the preferred door and sat on a bench to wait until the doors opened. A huge line formed before they opened them, but once they were open we just had to show our preferred boarding passes to go through that entrance. In December, we saw the huge line and thought we would be able to walk to the front of the line. A kind passenger here corrected us. There was only one line at that terminal. The separation occurred after we were inside.

I completely understand the desire to "get your vacation started" and board the ship as soon as possible.

For us however, vacation starts the second we lock the door to our home and head out. At that point, what's packed is packed, arrangements are complete and so on.

I dislike (that really should be in all caps) standing in queues with lots of tired and sometimes impatient folk (of course we're not talking about anyone in Cruise Critic) so much that we just find something else to do before heading to the port.

We like to arrive about 90 minutes before final boarding and just breeze through the check-in process. No lines at all and typically, even the embarkation photos have shut down.

Yes, I know we miss the "absolutely fabulous must-have or our vacation is ruined" embarkation lunch in the MDR but you know, there are going to be plenty of opportunities to get essentially the same meal at another time.

In December, we saw the huge line and thought we would be able to walk to the front of the line. A kind passenger here corrected us. There was only one line at that terminal. The separation occurred after we were inside.

Since we became eligible, we have always walked to the front of the line and have been welcomed to enter whether there was a separate door or not. You might feel a bit uncomfortable if a separate line has not been established, but going to the head of the line is a benefit you've earned.

Lew

I don't know if this would be the case when embarking in Vancouver. The first long line you have to stand in is for (forgive me I am unsure of the proper terms) customs/immigration. Never tried, but I doubt if Platinum/Elite status would make any difference here.

Once through that long hurdle is where you are separated into the separate Platinum/Elite waiting lounges.

I don't know if this would be the case when embarking in Vancouver. The first long line you have to stand in is for (forgive me I am unsure of the proper terms) customs/immigration. Never tried, but I doubt if Platinum/Elite status would make any difference here.

Once through that long hurdle is where you are separated into the separate Platinum/Elite waiting lounges.

The first long line is not a Princess line but a Canadian government line and they don't care about your Princess Captain's Circle status.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app