A kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum

soccerpapi

I'm in.

Can't believe the 'controversy' on the pledge post. My initial response was...........'me too'........ It still is. I can't see a purpose in some of the slamming that takes place on the boards. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. How it is conveyed is also important.

Edited by binkey36

When I found OP posted this same thing on the Disney Forum it made me wonder why? I have not bothered to look to see if it is posted on other forums but it made me question motivation and sincerity. I think this whole thing silly and this pledge a bit juvenile.

As has been well posted in this thread, CC has guidelines and a very competent Host who monitors this forum. If something out of line is posted, it is for the Moderator to make choices about it.

Completely agree with Lizzie 68, Sail7Seas. etc..

Our Host is one of the best! If one is upset about a post, that is what the reporting feature (little red triangle with Exclamation point) in the upper right hand corner of all posts is for.. Our Hosts are capable of deciding if a post is inflammatory or not.. If you don't agree with the Host you can always use the Ignore feature..

Can't believe the 'controversy' on the pledge post. My initial response was...........'me too'........ It still is. I can't see a purpose in some of the slamming that takes place on the boards. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. How it is conveyed is also important.

Agree with you, everyone is entitled to an opinion but suggest you use the reporting feature if you feel a post is inappropriate or someone is being slammed or use the ignore feature! That's what they are there for! And that is the Hosts job to make the decision..

We are not school children

I agree. There is a forum wide sincerity in the concern and best wishes expressed to Cruizin Terri. This whole community was worried about her and DH and so many sent their best wishes.

I was blessed with so many kind messages of condolence that it was such a great comfort to me.

Others have suffered all sort of unhappiness, pain, illness, disappointment and this group always rallies round. We don't need a pledge to support each other when it is most needed.

This is mostly a very kind, good group of people. Sure we have our tiffs and disagreements but in general, there are very few here who go out of their way to stir the pot.

Each can decide for themselves what they think of this whole thread.

This is the first time I have had the opportunity to look at this thread. Talk about "kind and gentle," I couldn't have asked for more from this board over the past ten days.

There has been such an outpouring of support for DH and me with our predicament, that frankly I don't see the see the need for such a thread.

I tend to avoid the threads that get contentious. I like to remain positive and don't feel that attacking people with opposing viewpoints is productive.

Terri

Thank you to all of you that have taken the pledge to make the Holland America Cruise Line forum a kinder, gentler place.

I appreciate your kindness in joining me.

I believe our niceness and courteous can make a difference!

We can't change everyone's mind, but at least we can be nice and courteous to each other and those who want to join us.

Have a great Labor Day!

Wishing you all the best,

soccer

I just looked at the posters that took the pledge. It is nice to see posters that have less than a thousand posts take the pledge. Most have only 200 to 300 posts that have taken the pledge.

It shows me that your words are measured and thoughtful. Thank you for being so kind and supportive.

Thank you for taking the pledge with me to make the Holland America Cruise Line forum a kinder, gentler place.

soccer

That would be nice. I would sign the pledge, but I am afraid it will not be effective. I don't post much anymore because there is always someone who finds something negative to say, warranted or not. I, like many others on this board, could share a lot of advice - but with negative comments from many, just say the heck with it and don't post. There are ways to give good constructive advice, but I'm afraid some have not quite mastered that skill.

I'll take the pledge.

There are many threads I don't even bother with anymore.

And do agree with another person here -- the ignore button is a good friend. There are several people I ignore as I just got tired of their sarcastic remarks.

I too, never realized how valuable the ignore function is. My list only consists of two people. I'm willing to put up with practically anything.

That would be nice. I would sign the pledge, but I am afraid it will not be effective. I don't post much anymore because there is always someone who finds something negative to say, warranted or not. I, like many others on this board, could share a lot of advice - but with negative comments from many, just say the heck with it and don't post. There are ways to give good constructive advice, but I'm afraid some have not quite mastered that skill.

I agree with you. The most rude posters don't recognize it, it's always the other guy. ;) I think some just enjoy hiding behind a computer screen and being bullies. I do wonder sometimes if they're that way in person, but on the other hand I don't want to find out. :(

I pledge to do my part to make the Holland America Cruise Line forum a kinder, gentler place.

soccer

Wonderful:D

thank you - I'm guessing that means we won't see these types of posts anymore? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088361&highlight=noordam+threadbare+carpet

that would be great.

I'm happy to join in on the goal to eliminate relentless posts that accomplish nothing on the boards:D

Smooth seas.

thank you - I'm guessing that means we won't see these types of posts anymore? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088361&highlight=noordam+threadbare+carpet

that would be great.

I'm happy to join in on the goal to eliminate relentless posts that accomplish nothing on the boards:D

Smooth seas.

One can only hope.......;)

that would be great.

Smooth seas.

I was a bit puzzled at first, then realised it begins on page 3.... and keeps on going and going, like the energizer bunny!:D

The Host keeps removing my posts. Some people on HAL forum are smart seasoned travelers that share information. Unfortunately others are rude, tactless snobs. I wish you luck in getting this to be a "kinder, gentler" place, it is one of the worst forums on this entire website

Other forums (Celebrity, Princess, etc.) also have their share of rude snobs.

HAL certainly has does.

On the positive side for HAL, there are many who are so extremely helpful and very well informed on the HAL forum when someone is actually seeking information. :)

LuLu

that would be great.

Smooth seas.

Thank you for pointing out that a number of posters were none to kind to me in that thread. Then when I responded in kind, you all ganged up on me. Then a number of you got your feelings hurt when I pointed out your bad behavior.

This is an example of why we need a kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum.

I am glad you have seen the light and are now ready to take the pledge to make the Holland America Cruise Line forum a kinder, gentler place. Thank you for your cooperation.

We gladly welcome you and others to the kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum.

soccer

Dear Melodie,

I hope this means that you are taking the pledge to make the Holland America Cruise Line forum a kinder, gentler place. I can only assume you didn't mean it any other way as that wouldn't be nice or within the forum guidelines.

I am glad you are joining us in making the Holland America Cruise Line forum a kinder, gentler place!

Welcome to our friendly, kinder gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum.

soccer

Wow, aren't you assuming a lot..........

I'm curious, what will happen when a poster does not follow the new kinder gentler guidelines?

It's all spelled out in Section 4 of the Loyalty Oath: First offense: You may not attend or participate in the next year's Friendship Parade. Second offense: You lose your Happy Fun Time privileges for one month. Third, and final offense: You must go on a Disney Cruise (not the fun one, but rather the one where they play, "It's a Small World After All," over and over ad nauseum.) You have to ride it until you repent and agree to forsake your cruel & brutal ways and once again get on the path to kindness and benevolence.

Thanks a lot! Now I have that darn song stuck in my head. 'It's a world of laughter, a world of tears. When I hear this song, how it pains my ears. "

Edited by POA1

Can we all make a pledge to create a kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum?

It would be great to avoid some of the personal attacks and that we make an effort to treat each other with respect.

This same request has been posted on another cruise lines forum and it seems to be working.

It is fine that we disagree on things, and sometimes we need to just agree to disagree and move on.

Hoping that many will take the pledge and follow through in making the Holland America forum a kinder, gentler place.

soccer

No, like I said before, no nice stuff here all the time, this website, although it's a phony travel agency, is called cruise CRITICS!!, which means people should have the right to critisize cruise lines and each other, capiche...

It's all spelled out in Section 4 of the Loyalty Oath: First offense: You may not attend or participate in the next year's Friendship Parade. Second offense: You lose your Happy Fun Time privileges for one month. Third, and final offense: You must go on a Disney Cruise (not the fun one, but rather the one where they play, "It's a Small World After All," over and over ad nauseum.) You have to ride it until you repent and agree to forsake your cruel & brutal ways and once again get on the path to kindness and benevolence.

Thanks a lot! Now I have that darn song stuck in my head. 'It's a world of laughter, a world of tears. When I hear this song, how it pains my ears. "

Clapping.gif