Sitka AND Icy Straight Point: Help.

April7901

I'm on a 10-day itinerary in early May that goes to Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Icy Straight Point, Ketchikan and Victoria.

I'm set on Juneau (helicopter), Skagway (WPR), and Ketchikan (Misty Fjords floatplane).

I'm stuck on Sitka (Monday, 10:00A - 7:00P) and Icy Straight Point (Tuesday - 7:00A - 6:00P). Neither seems to have a variety of options - and wildlife tours / whale watching tours seem to be the primary option, though Sitka has tons of local culture.

So with that in mind, I had thought that perhaps I'd do a whale watching trip in ISP, and stick to the visitor's shuttle (Raptor Center, Totem park, etc) in Sitka.

But the more I read, the more I'm seeing people raving about the wildlife tours out of Sitka, particularly if puffins are of interest (and they are, though I am not going to be devastated if I don't see any).

The other option is to load up in Sitka (i.e. do a wildlife tour and the Raptor Center, etc) and take ISP as a "do very little" day - i.e. wander off the ship and around Hoonah a bit, but do not much of anything.

Doing two boat-based wildlife trips is not super appealing to me, unless there's a really good reason to do so. If there IS a really good reason, then I'm not opposed.

Help. The other ports were relatively simple for me to decide on. These two are giving me a headache.

.......Doing two boat-based wildlife trips is not super appealing to me, unless there's a really good reason to do so. If there IS a really good reason, then I'm not opposed.
The whale watching trips at Icy Strait Point are primarily to see the humpbacks, although there is always the possibility of seeing other types of wildlife there too.

At Sitka, the boat tours are mainly to see other types of wildlife (such as otters, puffins, the bird colonies at St. Lazaria Island) although whales may be seen there too.

Just depends on your interests and priorities.

You will be in both ports long enough to have ample time for both a boat tour and land sightseeing, if that is what you want to do.

Edited by varoo

ISP has the Ziprider. You can see the view/ride on YouTube and search for "Hoonah zip line". One hour ride up, 2-3 minute ride down.

May is to early to see bears in the rivers after salmon but you may get a chance to see them on salt water shores altho it may be early for that as well.

On our whale watch with Fishes in ISP mid to late June we were able to watch 3 grizzles on the shore with the boat about 200-300 yds away from them. The whale watching was pretty good as well but no bubble net feeding.

In Sitka we enjoyed the HAL tour Rainforest & Nature Hike (while two did the dry suit dive) and then did totem park on our own. It took us a long time to get ashore in Sitka because of the tenders and other tours.

Sightcrr

So with that in mind, I had thought that perhaps I'd do a whale watching trip in ISP, and stick to the visitor's shuttle (Raptor Center, Totem park, etc) in Sitka.

Sounds good to me! (add the Fortress of the Bear in Sitka).

What's the rush to make a decision NOW ? You've got plenty of time to do more research and feel comfortable with your decision.

The whale watching trips at Icy Strait Point are primarily to see the humpbacks, although there is always the possibility of seeing other types of wildlife there too.

At Sitka, the boat tours are mainly to see other types of wildlife (such as otters, puffins, the bird colonies at St. Lazaria Island) although whales may be seen there too.

Just depends on your interests and priorities.

You will be in both ports long enough to have ample time for both a boat tour and land sightseeing, if that is what you want to do.

Thanks - this is along the lines of what I've been reading. Part of my concern is also that my port days are fairly intensive. It might be nice to have one day where I don't really have a timed plan, but there are enough sea days spread throughout that I'm not terribly worried about it.

ISP has the Ziprider. You can see the view/ride on YouTube and search for "Hoonah zip line". One hour ride up, 2-3 minute ride down.

May is to early to see bears in the rivers after salmon but you may get a chance to see them on salt water shores altho it may be early for that as well.

On our whale watch with Fishes in ISP mid to late June we were able to watch 3 grizzles on the shore with the boat about 200-300 yds away from them. The whale watching was pretty good as well but no bubble net feeding.

In Sitka we enjoyed the HAL tour Rainforest & Nature Hike (while two did the dry suit dive) and then did totem park on our own. It took us a long time to get ashore in Sitka because of the tenders and other tours.

Sightcrr

Thanks! The zip line is not an option for me, for a number of reasons. I'm guessing, too, that I'll be too early for bears, but I'm OK with that. Bears are awesome, but not something I'll be sad about missing.

I'm slightly concerned about the tendering time, but I don't have issues being up early if I need to.

Sounds good to me! (add the Fortress of the Bear in Sitka).

What's the rush to make a decision NOW ? You've got plenty of time to do more research and feel comfortable with your decision.

Yes, FotB is also on my short list.

As for why now - it's partially a budgeting concern, to make sure that I have all my monetary ducks in a row, but it's also just wanting to get everything set in place so that come October, all I have to do is make reservations. My work schedule from mid-October up until about the time I leave is far too hectic to leave any planning for that time.

April7901,

I was on the 10 day Pearl this past May and had a wonderful cruise. The itinerary is port intensive...but what a GREAT itinerary. My DW and I will be watching the fares and if we find a great price again..we will join you next May. Hope you have an amazing cruise!

April7901,

I was on the 10 day Pearl this past May and had a wonderful cruise. The itinerary is port intensive...but what a GREAT itinerary. My DW and I will be watching the fares and if we find a great price again..we will join you next May. Hope you have an amazing cruise!

Oh, that's so good to hear. I'm really looking forward to it!

I'll keep an eye on the roll call for you - hope it works out!

Best orca sighting from the ship...coming and going have been at IPS

Just "Doing " the cannery and walk along to the bottom of the Zip Line is a good hour or two if you mosey and interact.

Edited by LeftcoastBC

Best orca sighting from the ship...coming and going have been at IPS

Just "Doing " the cannery and walk along to the bottom of the Zip Line is a good hour or two if you mosey and interact.

That's something I hadn't heard yet. I would be beyond excited to catch a glimpse of some orcas. Do you know if there's a specific time of year that it's likely out of ISP?

I was in icy Straight Point this past May. We did a whale watch with Misty Bay Lodge. The boat has a bathroom, a heated inside cabin and a covered and non covered outside. They provide home made cookies and hot or cold drinks.

Captain Dan is in touch with the other operators to find the whales.

We saw Humpbacks, Seals, Otters with babies. And a black bear.

Then we went back to the lodge for home made fish Chowder. Awesome.

There were only 4 of us on the boat. He only takes up to 6.

Highly recommend them. My DH hasn't stopped talking about this excursion.

Funny seeing the cruise ship whale watching groups-200 crowded on a boat. They stayed an hour. we were out 4 hours.

Edited by 4cats,1dog
Typo

I was in icy Straight Point this past May. We did a whale watch with Misty Bay Lodge. The boat has a bathroom, a heated inside cabin and a covered and non covered outside. They provide home made cookies and hot or cold drinks.

Captain Dan is in touch with the other operators to find the whales.

We saw Humpbacks, Seals, Otters with babies. And a black bear.

Then we went back to the lodge for home made fish Chowder. Awesome.

There were only 4 of us on the boat. He only takes up to 6.

Highly recommend them. My DH hasn't stopped talking about this excursion.

Funny seeing the cruise ship whale watching groups-200 crowded on a boat. They stayed an hour. we were out 4 hours.

Thanks so much! Misty Bay Lodge is on my short list already, so this is good to hear :)